“A great surprise”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Chesterfield
Polmont, United Kingdom
“A great surprise”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night when away with work. Well decorated and kept very clean and tidy. (Not sure about all the clowns dotted over the ground floor.....)
The food was excellent, a nice surprise when on work trips. The chef cooks a meal adhering to your requirements and that's what you get. Fantastic fresh food. Breakfast in the morning was more of the same. Homemade jams and preserves a very nice touch.
I would agree it's more of a B&B than a hotel. Having to press buzzer to enter was strange and frustraiting.
Altogether a great stay!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Wisbech, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Four of us went to Buckingham’s in Chesterfield for a special family meal and had a well cooked, presented, generally unique and unusual meal.

Our requirements regarding allergies and preferences were taken into account as promised. The welcome was adequate but not especially effusive. The food was served, delivered and explained by the chef, but the general table service was poor for an establishment that describes itself as providing a quality service.

ie. The wine was opened by the "joint owner?" and glasses charged the bottle was then placed on a nearby sideboard and was never offered again (we had to get it ourselves, which is not important but does not really equal quality service) I would describe the overall service at best as laissez-faire.

The thing to be aware of is that this restaurant does not have a declared menu the customer gets what the chef wants to provide and the website menu guides do not apply to Tastecard customers. This was explained when I telephoned to make the booking.

There is a 3 course meal provided and you will be told that the cost is £50/head discounted to £25/head. I foolishly didn't retain the copy of the bill and am unable to reconcile the final cost of £250.80 in my head although I do remember that the bill was not itemised. I do recall that the bill contained an element of VAT but I am unaware of how that was calculated. After the Tastecard discount was applied the final total was £150.80.

In addition to the meal we had a bottle of wine which cost £20 and from the bar we had 1 x Gin and Tonic, 2 x Diet Coke, 1 x Lime and Lemonade and this appears to have been charged as £30.80p, making up the £50.80 difference from the meal. We did have a bottle of water which was also placed nearby and likewise not served after the first pouring. The water was unlabelled and delivered open so I have assumed it was tap water and therefore not charged.
I suggest that you check on bar prices and how the bill is prepared prior to ordering.

I have given the food quality a 5 star rating as that is an accurate assessment. Had there been a star rating for Menu Choice I would have rated it as 2 stars.
The first course was a Cod and Prawn Sausage on a bed of shrimp and pasta with a prawn and tomato sauce (Quite bland). The main was a stuffed chicken breast with a single carrot, a floret of broccoli, two small rounds of yellow courgette and a spicy potato croquette. The desert was a trio of small portions of a summer pudding, a chocolate orange mouse and rose water sorbet. This was not the gourmet experience that this restaurants espouses and not up to the standard I have enjoyed from other Tastecard venues.

This was a Tastecard experience and was in accordance with what I expected Tastecard customers need to be aware that while there is a facility on the site the above review was not published in spite of their published guidelines being followed. It seems that if reviews do not appeal to the restaurateurs they will not be published which completely destroys the value of reviews.
We will not be revisiting but will continue to make good use of the Tastecard having completely ignored reviews!

Roger O
Dissatisfied Customer

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is old and tired, run by Sybil of Fawlty Towers and is a public health risk to anyone who stays in room 4 which is full of dampness!! I would advise anyone thinking of going here to pay heed to the reviews!! I didn't and lived to regret it. The food is undoubtedly excellent, but that does not mean that the rudeness of the front of house can be ignored, nor the creepy clown ornaments that clutter the public rooms. I personally have no issue with them, but when I showed photos of them to other people they were horrified. Then there was the bed blanket that looked like the dog had slept on it. How did this hotel ever get its star rating. You've been warned! This is not a hotel!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for three nights after selecting largely by chance from a list of smaller Chesterfield hotels. Everything was fine with no complaints although we were only able to park on site on two of the nights.
But the surprise was the food. The most interesting dinners we have ever eaten. The food was delightful and I doubt there are many better chefs in the country. Each course had been individually designed and presented.

Room Tip: The front rooms have more traffic noise, but it did not bother us
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you like any sort of freedom. Do not stay here.

Our experience here was strange from the start. Upon arriving we were notified that we will only have one key, the only thing the key opens is our room, when we leave the hotel we have to leave our key at the desk so they know if people are in of out of the building. To get back in you had to ring a buzzer and be let in, as a result, we were not allowed to stay out past midnight because there would be no one to let us in. I have never heard of a curfew at a hotel, ever. Even when I've stayed at b&b's. In addition to a curfew, everything needed to be on a timetable. We were expected to set up a time for breakfast, I understand this is so they can be prepared, however, I am on vacation. I do my want to have my every minute planned out.

The rooms were fine. Bed is standard. Room is very clean and bathroom was beyond wonderful. The decor fits with the theme....strange. There is a teddy bear on the bed.

The food was good. The dinner was really unique and interesting. There is No menu, the chef asks things you do not like, then makes a meal for you. I really enjoyed that. The decor of the dinning room again fit the theme...strange. There's are clowns EVERYWHERE! If you are not a fan of clowns this might not be a place for you.

The staff as a whole was friendly. The only person that wasn't is the female owner. When we first go there our toilet wasn't flushing properly. She sighed in frustration, stormed upstairs, pumped the handle 3 times and said see, it flushes. As though we were idiots. Her demeanor the entirety of the stay was to the same effect. I do not think she meant it maliciously, I think she I just has an abrasive personality.

In general I would not stay here again. I would eat here again, just not stay here. Not my style.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandiacre, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here recently it was booked as a gift from our son. First impressions were good the room was ok a little dated but clean. We were a little disappointed with the website which told us we would get a dressing gown only to find they have stopped doing them because people were stealing them. Maybe you should change the details on the website to make the facts correct. The breakfast was amazing all was locally sourced and smoked etc. Home made jams and marmalades very nice. Overall pleased but I find it a little expensive for what you get.

• Stayed June 2014
Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The food was excellent and the rooms clean, BUT! the landlady puts Basil Fawlty in line for the Hotelier of the year award. The word hotel does not apply to this establishment, it is a Bed and Breakfast! The front door is operated by an intercom system, so when you want to enter the " hotel" you have to ask first. We have never come across anything like it. We wont be going back.

Room Tip: Don't take a front bedroom, the noise from the road is very bad.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple