“very good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Highwayman

The Highwayman
Ranked #61 of 341 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

good service, good food, good food choice, nicely decorated, nice location and reasonable prices. have visited 2 or 3 times in the past and have not been disapointed yet.

Visited July 2012

Hull, England
“The little 'gem' in Derbyshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

After a 250 mile drive and a 3 hour meeting in Peterborough we arrived at the restaurant at 7pm after checking into the Premier Inn a few minutes earlier and was greeted at the bar by the assistant manager Mark who welcomed us and took our order for a couple of drinks. When he returned with them he told my wife and I that it was good to see us again and asked how we had been keeping and was guenuinely interested in our well being, we were both a little surprised in so much that yes we had visited the restaurant in early April this year and enjoyed 2 excellent evenings but we didnt think that we stood out in any way! Later in the evening we ordered two glasses of wine from our waiter Andy and Mark brought them over to our table and as he was placing them on our table he remarked that we were sat at the same table as we were in April......memory or what as my wife and I hadnt thought about it until he mentioned it. We ordered a 3 course meal each from the menu and were shown to our table by the waiter Andy and he like the rest of the staff was happy, friendly, polite, courteous and extremely helpful and in our opinion very well trained. When we eat out we always like a minimum of a 10 minute gap between courses and mention this to our waiters / waitresses when ordering food, sometimes this is a problem as we are told that once 'they' put it through the till they cannot guarantee it will happen or they often say no problem but what they really mean is that it will be cooked and prepared and then put into the microwave to be served when we are ready so it arrives very hot and often stuck to the plate. Tonight was a total exception, Andy came over before every course and asked if we were ready to eat and was it ok for him to serve the meals and each course was superb and cooked to perfection served at the right temperature. On completion of each course we were asked very politely if everything was ok for us. The one thing about this place is that all of the staff seem to be really enjoying themselves and are happy to be there and are very pleasant. We had another long day planned for the following day and had decided to watch the 10pm news in our room to check on the weather forcast, all good plans are doomed to failure and my wife informed me that it was 10.20pm and we had just ordered another glass of wine in the bar and by this time we didnt really care about the weather! The breakfast and the waitresses were excellent and as we were driving away from the hotel we both remarked how wonderful it was that neither of us had any criticisms or complaints whatsover and how unusual this was and that we felt the same during the two days that we stayed there in April of this year and I wished that I had sent a review then. There are so many beautiful things to do and see in Derbyshire and with a little gem like this here too it makes the visit that little bit special. Well done to you all and thank you! Will we come back 100% yes!!!!!

• Visited July 2012
Middlesex
“Everything overdone”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

What can I say, I'm usually a Beefeater fan as I have a very good one close to my home.
The Highwayman however was way short of the standard I expect.

I visited on a Wednesday evening with my partner, and it started well with the meet and greet.
We ordered the combo starter, and it took an age to arrive. Everything was overdone and part of it came out late, and again overdone, as they had forgotten the chicken skewers.

I had ordered a burger, and my partner the ribs. Usually an easy order, but the chef was obviously trying to make sure both were dead as he cooked them within an inch of it!
Both meals were very dry. I was extremely glad I hadn't ordered the steak, I am sure medium would have been an unlikely outcome
The service wasn't a great deal better, as they waitress spent 4 minutes having a lovely non work related chat with a woman on a neighbouring table and ignoring us.

I feel the Highwayman has a bit of work to do before I could recommend it to anyone.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lunch with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

On Saturday 19th May myself husband and 2 children met with friends for lunch. We've been several times before and had mixed opinions of this place.
The foods always been good, hot and tasty. But the service varies and things are missed sometimes.
This visit was excellent though and the scores are for this visit.
We arrived at 12.45pm our drinks order was taken and brought pretty much straightaway.
The food order 10 minutes later was taken and starters arrived by 1.30pm. The restaurant was busy so we expected a slight delay. Mains followed 15mins after starters cleared and we're hot and tasty again.
The place is clean and the little extras like a properly dressed salad with tiny croutons and crayons and pictures for the kids were lovely.
For a chain it's one of the better ones.