“Excellent all round!!”

Ranked #139 of 348 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are THE Oldest Pub in Chesterfield. Reputedly built in the 12th Century, and formally an Inn for the Knights Templar, the Royal Oak is bursting with character and can be found in the Long Shambles, adjacent to Chesterfield Market and opposite The Body Shop.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me, my mum and my nan took a day trip to chesterfield as it was somewhere we had never been before and fancied a change of scenery. We had no idea where to eat until we stumbled across this pub. We were warmly welcomed the minute we walked through the doors and the staff were really friendly. The food was amazing!! It came out so well presented and so tasty! My nan had the fish and chips as it is her favourite and she said she had never tasted fish as good! The chips were homemade which you don't get very often and were amazing. Everything is freshly made and you can really tell. Somewhere we would definitely visit again without a doubt.

• Visited April 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your kind words, its a fne team effort and I am very proud of all our staff.

Hampshire
“Wonderful value for money”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Like the reviewer below went purely on the advice of tripadvisor and was not disappointed.
We were warmly welcomed and all the food was obviously freshly cooked and so cheap!! Well for us southerners anyway!
My daughter had a very good sirloin steak that came with giant onion rings - batter was exceptional as it was on my scampi and my husbands battered cod.
Next time we stop on the way back down from Leeds Uni I will definately explore the menu further.

• Visited March 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thanks a lot we look forward to you returning.
“Great service, great food!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

If it wasn't for trip advisor we would have never seen this place on the map!
Food was awesome £9 for a steak - bargain!
Gave a sample of beers as sold unique beer and ciders. Moonshine was my favourite.

, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We are all working hard to give value for money, thanks for taking the time to compliment us.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch in the Royal Oak”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best Sunday lunches I have had. Plenty of veg a separate pot of gravy and very pleasant staff, also a good selection of beers.

Visited March 2014
, Owner at Royal Oak, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Come and try us through the week we have a lovely selection of fresh food. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Quaint, old-worldly pub”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Lovely old-worldly pub, small, but with a great deal of character.
The staff are warm, welcoming and friendly.
I have yet to personally sample the food but I overheard extremely positive comments from other customers.
I'm definitely looking forward to my next visit!

• Visited February 2014
, Manager at Royal Oak, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We look forward to feeding you in the future, thank you for your comments.