“Seriously needs updating.......”

Add it.
Chesterfield Hotel
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

So I found myself in Chesterfield late at night, in need of a hotel to stay for the night. I was told "go for the Ibis or Portland.....avoid the Chesterfield Hotel"

Anyway, Portland being renovated, Ibis full, no other option really so I went to the Chesterfield.

First impressions were good, the lad on reception was good, sorted me a room, nice bloke and I can't fault him.

I got a small single room £47 including a continental breakfast. The room was clean I guess but it was just WORN OUT!!! The bed has stains all along the base and it was as lumpy as hell, the carpet was bare in places, the shower was covered in limescale and rust but the bath was fine, the floorboards were creaking every time I walked on them. The tea and coffee facilities were minimal at best, the room was sweltering hot and the small fan just blew hot air!

It was also very noisy through the night.

I was awake and in pain with a bad back at 5.30am, breakfast not until 7am so I decided to just go.

I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone unless you've absolutely nowhere else to stay.....the hotel is old but unlike many old hotels, this one has no character.

Avoid this place folks!!!!!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this hotel for my sisters wedding reception. A Beautiful building conveniently situated next to the train station, bypass, town centre & has great parking. The staff are amazing, very helpful, friendly & accommodating.
Yes the hotel has it's downsides, but the staff are willing to help & make you feel very welcome.
It does need some investment to bring it back to its glory days. But it's all cosmetic. The drinks are reasonably priced too, great atmosphere. We thoroughly enjoyed it here. Great venue for a wedding.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I thought twice about reviewing this as it was a birthday treat with my family. There were 8 adults and 7 children aged between 2 and 12 (the 12 year old was an adult meal). The room we ate in was empty, we had one waitress, it seemed to be a little way from the kitchen so the food was not hot when it reached us and one server meant that there was a long delay between the first to be served and the last. All the meals were pre-ordered.
The soup was cold and a bit bland and very thick, croutons had an off taste. The terrine was acceptable and the melon as expected. Later we realised that the 12 year old was given a child's portion of melon instead of the adults.
The beef was nice but there were only 2 small roasters with each meal, the salmon was ok but again only 2 small potatoes. The veg was cabbage and sweetcorn together, no other options and only 2 bowls between the 15 of us.
Puddings were again ok, though portions were small, apart from the apple pie which my daughter in law reported as being very under-cooked.
Now either you are Cordon bleu and present exquisite food in small portions or you are a good value place which gives decent food in good portions, this was neither. The food quality was poor and portions very small. I left hungry and I'm not a huge eater, all the family reported going home to eat, and considering we ate late this certainly isn't good enough.
This was an expensive meal that certainly didn't live up to expectations and we will not be recommending to others.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Terrible night's sleep lumpy bed very noisy main road outside needs updating and cleaning would not recommend

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and from the outside all looked well, staff at reception were lovely but when we stepped foot into the room it was a whole other story. The carpet didn't meet the skirting board and was covered in stains. The bed had a sheet and quilt thrown over it and not much more and the bathroom was just shambolic, wall paper hanging off the wall, mould and mildew in the shower, toilet roll holder hanging off, just to name a few and the view of the roof top from the windows was hardly amazing.
We left the hotel and went for a walk in the town to compose ourselves and on returning to the hotel a party was in full swing where we may as well have joined in as it was directly below our room. This was the final straw, I complained and had us moved and the whole story continued in the new room.
The hotel is in dire need of an overhaul if it wants to attract people to stay here.
I'm not fussy in any way I have done the whole camping thing but when I book a hotel room there are certain standards I would expect.
Please think twice before staying here!!!!!