“A not to be repeated curry night experience”

The Portland Hotel, JD Wetherspoon.
Ranked #80 of 359 Restaurants in Chesterfield
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Description: A JD Wetherspoon free house. Serving real ales from local Brewers, Craft Beers and ciders, hot drinks & soft drinks. Extensive food menu including daily club deals.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Oh dear, I prefer to use tripadvisor to highlight good things but this meal was awful. The curry has over micro waved making the lamb in the Rogan Josh tough, the onion bargee was burnt and the rice was stewed. The real ale was undrinkable and had to be left. I was running late for a meeting and just couldn't be bothered to complain and get replacements and might they have been better?

2  Thank Peter B

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic service. Great rooms, clean and spacious. Amusing water pressure :-) Lovely staff, very friendly,really couldn't do enough for us. The breakfast was good considering wetherspoons can be a bit hit and miss. Would definitely stay again especially since they are having a refurbishment starting in the next couple of weeks.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Had one ham and cheese toastie. Very dry bread cold middle, overdone chips, disgusting. Also had one chicken rib combo, chicken so iverdone wouldnt feed a dog it, onion rings burnt, coleslaw looked dirty in colour (yuk) and chips overdone. Replaced meal with only slightly better items but couldnt be bothered so left it. Do not eat here if you like food.

1  Thank George P
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Since TripAdvisor didn't want to add a separate page for the restaurant part of this business due to 'not meeting the criteria', I have no choice but to add the review here.

It was my mother's birthday outing and she had decided that she wanted to visit Chesterfield market and have a meal out at the Portland Hotel. We aee all Wetherspoons fans, as we have an exceptional restaurant in my town that we visit regularly and so we were looking forward to familiar food.

After looking around the market we decided to go in and eat. Upon entering, the restaurant was full to the brim, though it seemed it was mostly for the bar. We found a table, sat down and decided on what we would like to eat. By that point, I was ravenous and didn't mind what I ate. I decided on a Tennessee burger, as I had not tried it before and am a huge fan of Jack Daniels marinades and sauces. My fiance and myself decided to pay for my mother's meal too and my mother's partner paid for his meal separately.

When we reached the bar it didn't actually take them that long to serve us and, considering the number of people, I was impressed. The service behind the bar was good, it seemed. My mother's partner was also being served too. It was then that things started to go wrong. They charged ys for someone elses meal and we had to wait for the manager to issue a refund and put it through again.

After quite a while of fiddling about, we sat back down to wait for our meals. I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived very quickly. We had all ordered burgers . 2 brunch burgers, 1 Tennessee burger (mine), 1 gourmet burger.

The waitress arrived with 2 gourmet and 1 brunch. When we corrected her and explained that our orders had 2 brunch, not 2 gourmet she instantly turned defensive and rather snotty. After her trying to palm them off on us a second time and us explaining yet again that it was wrong, she demanded rather bitterly to see our receipts. Unfortunately, the mess up at the bar ended up with us only receiving a copy of the total and not the itemized receipts. After a huge strop, she made her way back into the kitchen to fetch my Tennessee burger and the other brunch burger... only to come out with another waitress in toe with the Tennessee, brunch snd two more gourmet burgers! We explained for the THIRD time what our order was and she then told us thst there were 4 other plates of gourmet burger in the kitchen too! What in the world!?

Finally, she got the message and went to rage at the kitchen staff or bar staff while we readied ourselves for our meal. It was then we noticed the state of the burgers. Charred to a crisp! Mine had come out the worst and it wss virtually impossible to bite into. It was like eating a hockey puck! I had no choice but to leave it which left me with a sauce and salad cob with chips and onion rings. (Which were horribly greasy. )

I was still hungry afterwards, but refused to order dessert for fear of more muck ups. So, we got ready to leave. That was when I set foot in the toilets. Every stall had something wrong. No toilet paper, poop smeared on the door or wall, full bowls, dirt and pee on the seat... I'd had enough.

I left unimpressed, disgusted and hungry.

1  Thank MeltyCritic