“Would not go back.....”

Haddon House Farm B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bakewell
Haddon House Farm B & B
Ranked #41 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Would not go back.....”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

After reading all the reviews on this B & B, it would seem that you either love it.....or hate it. It also appears that Bill & Marilyn the owners are either very helpful.....or indifferent towards you. The following is our experience.

The website is very gushy and heavily elaborated about almost everything. I suspect the author to be a frustrated novelist! I was totally taken in by it, and expected to arrive in heaven! Incidently on making our booking and sending a cheque in full payment, I never actually received a booking confirmation. I had to ring up in the end to check to see if Marilyn had received it. Not an impressive start. I thought all proprieters confirmed bookings.

The entrance to the B&B is up a small tired looking yard, with no indication as to where to park so as not to hinder anyones access. The Owner, Bill was very welcoming and offered to help with our bags. On going through the front door, I instantly realised this was a very weird place. A metal cob web with a metal spider in it by the door, dead stuffed animals, weird toys, candles etc. The staircase to the next floor was quite steep, unlit and you had to mind your head. (Health and Safety would have a field day in this building)

You had to pass through the Dining area and up another flight of steep stairs to the Spring Meadow room (supposed to conjure up days in the Austrian Tyrol.....please!!!). I was instantly disappointed to be told the Bathroom was across the landing. Albeit only a few steps, I expected it to be en-suite. The room itself was very clean and comfortable, but I was disppointed again as the web site sung the virtues of king size beds and special french linen, when in fact we had a double 4'6" bed with John Lewis linen. Nothing wrong in that I know, but not as expected.

The hospitality tray looked inviting, but on closer inspection there wasn't any sugar, and you had to go downstairs and ask for milk. I looked at the impressive selection of fruit teas only to find the expiry dates on the the boxes varied between 2007 and 2008!!!!! (Throw them away Marilyn...please)

Trying to unpack and put things into drawers also became a slight problem as every drawer was stuffed with Marilyns books, games, selected reviews in a tatty book, plus some other weird stuff like stick on childrens patches if you had holes in your clothes. However, the wardrobe was very spacious, with plenty of nice matching hangers. Marilyn also provided a hand collated book, which was mainly about her and her opinions on various restaurants, do's and dont's. Pages of boring stuff, nothing very helpful about Bakewell.

One thing I would mention at this point, if you intend staying in the Spring Meadow Room at the height of summer, take a fan with you. The heat coming upstairs from the constant fired up Aga is overwelming.

The Bathroom, like everything else, is stuffed with bottles, books, candles, pictures, ornaments etc. The plug in the sink with the frog on top doesn't hold any water, so you have to use a spare green plastic one on the side. The toilet when flushed, doesn't stop flushing you have have to spend quite a while "getting the flush action right" otherwise it will flush all night. There is no shower as such.....another disappointment.....just a hand held spray attached to a mixer tap. *Take note: Once you have got the temperature right, if you lift the spray any higher than your waist, it starts to run cold. Its very ackward to use.

To get onto our Hosts.....Bill I found to be very friendly and helpful. Marilyn just said hello when we arrived, but no warm friendly greeting as expected. I noticed that any time we made a move Bill came out to see if we needed anything, but no sign of Marilyn. We didn't join in the Breakfast "party", as we felt uneasy about sharing a big kitchen table with strangers. Also Marilyn's kitchen area was so untidy, there were bits of food lying around, three quarter drunk bottle of whisky, tomatoes, cut lemon, bread rolls, litter on every available space everywhere......just made me feel sick. Also I don't think the freshly made bread and blueberry muffins have been seen since 2009!

On coming downstairs to pop outside for a minute, the two Jack Russells came running from nowhere and shot through the door to the garden......Marilyn just screamed at us not to let the dogs out. I tried to apologise but she wasn't interested.

On leaving there was no sign of Marilyn, no goodbye.....only dear old Bill dutifully doing his job of keeping people happy as well as the strain of having to run a busy farm. I actually felt quite sorry for him. A very nice man.

All in all I was not impressed. Had the website not been so over the top I would have taken the B&B on face value, but the website is very misleading and makes you think you are entering into pure luxury and pampering.......I can see some people feel that way by the reviews, but obviously we weren't on Marilyn's favourites list.

At £95.00 per night, it was just not worth it. We felt like intruders in someone else's home. Maybe the other rooms are more private, but the Spring Meadow Room has to be accessed via their Dining/Kitchen area. Not an experience I would want to repeat. Shame, as I had such high hopes.

Some of you reading this may think I am being picky, but I paid for what the website offered but did not deliver.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Toshgirl15
hotelier1Bakewell, Owner at Haddon House Farm B & B, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
The sweet smell of lilies and roses fills the room as I write this - a gorgeous bouquet sent from last weekend’s guests who stayed in the same room as this lady ... accompanied by a note saying how much they enjoyed their stay with us.

All consumer organisations would recommend that any shortcomings or complaints are taken up with the shop or service giver at the time. If there is a problem, it would allow it to be put right. This lady never murmured a note of complaint during her stay. She booked a room with double bed and bath, and that is what she got, but has then complained. The law of physics applies: double beds don’t morph into king size ones. A bathtub remains a bathtub. We have rooms with those features, and ought to be booked if that is what is desired. There is no whisky in this household, a bottle of extra virgin olive oil by the cooker might have been mistaken for whisky (but what is her point, is there an inference that we abuse alcohol?). Our stairway is lit by electric lights operated by a wall switch - no dark corners and to say otherwise is incorrect and misleading. Clearly, Bakewell hasn’t captivated this lady as she has to spend her weekend away looking at sell-by dates on the Green Tea packet. She didn’t have breakfast either morning she was here, so was unaware that the blueberry muffins are offered at the breakfast table. I am disabled and can’t walk very well, so my husband does most of the running up and down stairs, dealing with customer’s requests for service which has really upset her for reasons which aren’t clear. That comment borders on nastiness, so the fact that she doesn’t want to come again is perhaps as well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed here with my father and brother, for a short walking holiday. Marilyn and Bill couldn't do enough for us, they even picked us up from the restaurant in Bakewell, at 10pm, to save us having to drive or get a cab. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable, and the breakfast was perfect. Fresh fruit, the Full English if you wanted it, and plenty of tea and toast. Yes, you are sitting around their kitchen table, and they are there with you ready for a chat, but that's what you get in a B&B - stay in a hotel if you want the anonymity. We found them a very interesting couple, and very welcoming but not overbearing at all. The area around Bakewell is stunning, and there is so much to do. Of course our hosts knew about all the best walks. My only request would be heavier curtains or blackout blinds for those early sunrises, but then I'm fussy about that sort of thing. We will be back.

Room Tip: There is a great 'family suite' with a four poster room, shower room and cute children's...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LucieC99
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Sometimes you find a place you know will become a favourite, a place to return to time after time. We had a lovely stay at Haddon House Farm. The decor, furnishings, service were far better than your average B&B. Marilyn’s welcome was warm, helpful, informative. Nothing seems too much trouble - even a lift to the pub (and back again). Breakfast was really fresh and appealing, the other guests were great company. Best of all was the hot tub - twinkling lights and a lovely garden. Bakewell was really quaint with good pubs and cafes. We enjoyed some ice cream by the side of the river where there’s lots of benches to sit awhile. We are already planning our return. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lyn040
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Quite simply the best B&B in the entire world - we had a wonderful time

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RichardW9
norwich,norfolk
Reviewed 7 February 2011

VERY DISAPPOINTED.The web site states you have fresh bread and blueberry muffins for breakfast we didnt see any of these on our two night break away. The TV in room was a terrible picture and colour was all over the place, and as listed on web site a boutique bed and breakfast this dosnt even come up to.it . There was no apology for the missing things at breakfast either.All in all far to expensive for just a bog standard bed and breakfast and this was all this was. The website for the place is very over rated, looks nice on the web- site untill you arrive and start to drive up the yard to the place, and then after your stay and payed the expensive price you wouldnt want to stop again.For the expensive price this was very very disappoining.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank richardwmace
Manchester
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Love it or hate it you'll never forget it and, there can be no doubt, some people will love Haddon House Farm. However, we can not include ourselves in this category as we found the entire experience overwhelmingly weird. Upon arrival we were greeted by Marylin, the kooky Canadian owner, who confused me greatly by asking, "how should I call you?" Not that this question is difficult to understand but it did set the tone for the next three days; that being strange. Whilst being escorted to the Monet room (so called because of the outrageous decor; all things Monet) my girlfriend was frightened and somewhat disturbed by the stuffed owls in the entrance hall. I, too, am not a big fan of walking amongst dead animals. The hall was also decorated with bark, dried flower arrangements and children with no faces: Creepy!
The Monet lived up to expectations. Not a single surface (wall, ceiling or floor) was without a Monet or Marylinesque "feature". It was the latter that disturbed us the most: A bust that looked like a child who had been punched in the face; seagull shaped toilet roll holder; poems, written by Marylin, that explained, using too much detail, how to use the Saniflow system; postcards, everywhere, explaining how you should behave; more owls on the windows; guests poetry in a notebook which ranged in quality from poor to downright bizarre; and a guidebook that was more of a guide to Marylin than a guide to Bakewell.
We think we need to explain the guidebook a little further. Firstly, the restaurant reviews. These were mainly of restaurants that Marylin didn't like except for one, Piedaniels, that she loves overwhelmingly and rated it 9.9/10 losing marks only for lack of visual colour. Visual colour? Secondly, the guide to Marylin. Do we really need to know that she is from Toronto, where her great-grandfather owned a shop; that she likes flying, with Bill (more on him later) in a microlight; that she occasionally lives within a mile of film stars; that she does local archeology courses? Or would we prefer to have knowledge of things to do in Bakewell?
One final thing about the room: The bathroom. The saniflow system can create some terrible smells and is very, very loud when in operation. Also, it was never explained to us that the bathroom was without shower. We took it for granted, when we called up, that it would be a bath AND a shower.
Onto breakfast, It is a good thing, no doubt, that guests are allowed to choose when they have their breakfast. However, upon arrival one is greeted by a single table which you have to share with all the other guests who have chosen to eat at the same time as you. Even if you are tired you really have no choice but to join the conversation, even if it is with people who are a bit dull and if it is basically a rehash of what you have read in the guide book (which it is). Also, Marylin cooks in front of you so she is an eternal presence; she likes nothing more than to talk about herself although, occasionally, she will also tell you of things she has read in the Daily Telegraph. During these infernal monologues she finds time to order Bill, her husband, around. Poor Bill, I rather liked him.
So, summing up, it is quite expensive (they charge £25 for an hour in the hot tub; the tub being our main reason for choosing the farm); it is bizarre; and worst of all, Marylin did not laugh at my jokes.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Manchester_Matthew
Sheffield
Reviewed 23 November 2009

What a beautiful bed and breakfast this is. Michael and I stayed here for one night as a belated wedding anniversary celebration. Our only disappointment was that we couldnt stay longer. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome. Our room for the night was "the monet" and truly makes you feel like youve stepped into a painting. The bed was just heavenly we didnt want to get up. Though having forced ourselves to do this we werent disappointed with the breakfast awaiting. Freshly baked muffins, bacon and eggs and extremely warm and interesting hosts to make us feel at home. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend and would definately recommend it to friends - tempting as it is to keep it as our secret!
Many thanks for your kindness we hope to see you again soon.
Michael and Charlotte