“Avoid”

Haddon House Farm B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bakewell
Haddon House Farm B & B
Ranked #42 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you want damp walls; musty sheets; and no shower in your bathroom stay here. This was not a boutique B&B despite the claims on the website. Breakfasts were fairly average, with no muffins in sight. There are far better places to stay near or in Bakewell.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Barry B
hotelier1Bakewell, Owner at Haddon House Farm B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

We are dismayed that you didn't enjoy your time with us last summer. I wish you had let us know at the time that you felt there were issues with your stay, as it gives us an opportunity to either set things right or have a discussion and possibly reach amity between us. You are right that the Spring Meadow Room doesn't have a shower - at the point of booking, I ask my guests if they would prefer a room with a bath or with a shower - so that their preference can be looked after. Our linen is professionally laundered and I don't understand why the sheets should be thought to be musty. Clearly we have failed to hit the sweet spot for you, for which I apologise.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Just returned from a lovely (surprise) 2 night break at Haddon House Farm. We stayed in the Will Shakespeare room, which was absolutely fantastic - beautifully decorated, extra comfy four poster king sized bed, everything you'd need for a nice cosy, romantic break away from home - just lovely! The hot tub was amazing - very relaxing and much needed after a long day out walking! Breakfast was delicious, with a range of cereals, fresh fruit, jams/preserves and a superb cooked breakfast, with fantastic quality locally sourced ingredients - one of the best I've ever had. And last, but certainly not least, the owners, Bill and Marilyn, helped make this break what it was - such warm, friendly hosts, willing to go that extra mile to ensure you have everything you need and have a great time - two of the loveliest people you could wish to meet - thank you both so much.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank littlelotty83
Reviewed 27 June 2013

A last minute business trip ment finding a B&B near or in the Peak district. As I would be delivering a car I had an enclosed trailer with me that would need to be accommodated.
Most places I tried would not or could not accommodate the trailer. However Marilyn at Haddon house was very pleased to find a secure parking space and quickly put my mind at rest.
We booked in for two nights and chose the Meadow room as it looked really cosy.
The room was an absolute delight, far better than we had expected. Taking up the whole of the top floor of the house it had superb views across the countryside and felt like our own little pent house.
The room was bright and warm with everything you could want. Again Marilyn made us feel very at home and nothing would be too much trouble. Im sure if we had asked for champagne and chips, they would have arrived!
One of the nights we stayed was very warm but the room has a window at each side so a blissfully cool breeze was flowing across the room. Really felt comfortable and had the best night sleep we have had in ages.
Haddon house B&B is ideally set In tranquil surroundings, close to Bakewell and yet set in its own farm lands, so very quiet and perfect for walking and just chilling out.
The breakfast was great with gorgeous fresh fruit, cereals, toast, full english or whatever we wanted.
Marilyn's husband Bill is lovely and helps with the breakfast and anything you might like. Being into mechanical things myself, he happily showed me around the farm which I loved.
In all we had a wonderful experience. The room was everything we wanted. Marilyn and Bill made the stay one to remember and we will definitely be going back.
10 out 10.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter E
Reviewed 13 June 2013

What a rip-off! We rue the day we booked into 'Spring Meadow'. Yes, a good night's sleep is so important but sadly it eluded us as there was nothing at the windows to block out the light. Beds were certainly not the best in the world and as for 'French linen', forget it - much washed John Lewis instead. Even in basic b and bs we expect our bed to be made but even this was a problem. All surfaces were cluttered with tat and none of that too clean. Brown-tinged scatter cushions were indicative of many sweaty backs! Peeling paint on radiator. All very passe and rather unsavoury.
Our bathroom was misrepresented as 'en suite' which it isn't. It's across a landing above stairs open to anyone at the bottom. Two flights of very steep stairs not indicated despite my husband specifically asking as I have a mobility problem. I agree with another review that says they felt like intruders in somebody's home as no real space available to use. No problems re the quality of the breakfast but a possible problem for those seeking a quiet start to the day. Not worth the extortionate cost of £95 a night and the worst place we've ever stayed. Forget guest satisfaction - it's all about money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank jonquilTenterden
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Haddon house farm B&B is a great place to base yourself at to explore the beautiful peak district. Bill and Marilyn were great hosts and afforded us a very friendly welcome on arrival. Nothing is too much bother for them and they are very keen to ensure you have a very pleasant stay . Indeed you are made to feel like old friends calling in which was very nice. The Shakespeare room we stayed in was very clean and great fun away from the norm , the kingsize four poster was a real treat to sleep in .The kitchenette in the cupboard had everything we needed for hot and cold drinks with a plentiful supply of glasses and mugs/cutlery etc. Breakfast was around their very own table in the kitchen which again was homely and relaxing, we enjoyed our morning chats about the farm and an array of other subjects. The breakfast was hearty and good quality locally sourced produce and it set us up nicely for our days walking directly from the farm . It was a shame to leave on the Monday and Marilyn very kindly let us leave the car with them for one last walk into Bakewell which takes 10-12 mins on foot. Sure we'll be back in the future for another visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crush66
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Set in a beautiful location just outside Bakewell, maybe 10 minutes walk, this place was ideal for what we were looking for. Spacious, unusual and full of nik naks, this place was just so quirky. Some people would probably hate it but I loved it..so many collectables to look at.
Bill and Marilyn were friendly and warm, always ready to chat and make an excellent team. Marilyn struggles to get about and was in a wheelchair due to an accident where she broke both her ankles so Bill did the running around. You actually stay in thier house which some people may find off putting but there are so many different stairways, little annexe's etc that you don't really feel as though you are intruding.

The rooms were spacious and well decorated, each having a unique theme. We stayed in the Master Room which had a lovely comfortable huge 4 poster. There was a bathroom shower room and then through that, on the other side was a tiny room right in the eaves all ready for a child to sleep in..so I guess it would be good for a family as Mum and Dad could still have some privacy. There were wonderful views from this room over the fields. There are so many stairways and rooms to go through I suppose it would be easy to get lost in the house finding your way back to your room.

The only thing that had me worried was the first time I flushed the loo, the water rose right to the top as if it was blocked and I feared it might overflow but it didn't and this is just how it works. You get used to it!

In the room, there is like an information book telling you about restaurants, things to do, places to visit, taxi numbers etc which is quite handy if you are a tourist without a plan. The bed was so comfy I did not want to get out of it the next day...however the smell of cooking bacon proved to be quite a lure.

Breakfast can be a combination of anything as there were cereals and a selection of fresh fruit available as well as the full English which was cooked to order. You actually sit in their own kitchen and again people may find this a little off putting but we loved it and sat chatting with Marilyn and some other guests from Cork. Plenty of coffee top ups on offer as well as fruit juice, toast and preserves etc and even an offer to make porridge if we wished.

It is a working farm and we got to go in the stable and see Toby the rescue horse who had been spooked by a firework and 2 sheep that were less sociable and turned their backs on us in such a funny way. Bill and Marilyn themselves are very sociable and I would definitely return there. It was just the type of place I would like to stay in and I had no complaints about anything really other than I think it was probably a little over priced at £135 for one night.

Room Tip: More privacy if you opt for one of the rooms on the ground floor..
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justval1
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We recently spent 5 nights at Haddon House Farm B&B and I cannot say enough good things about the experience. To begin, the location is convenient for visiting many historic sights in the area (Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall among them) and is only minutes from the high street in the lovely village of Bakewell. Many great places to eat and shop there. Lots of things to see and do within a short drive from Haddon House Farm. Marilyn and Bill are wonderful hosts and go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Our room (the Monet Room) was quite nicely furnished with a particularly comfortable bed. Breakfasts were wonderful and featured a full English breakfast, cereals, juice, coffee or tea etc. Delicious! This is a working farm and there are lovely walking paths around the property as well as incredibly scenic walking paths and trails nearby. Marilyn and Bill know the area well and are eager to make suggestions regarding things to see and do. The Peak district is one of the most beautiful corners of England and I would highly recommend Haddon House Farm B&B as a place to stay when you visit.

Room Tip: Monet room and Shakespeare room are on the ground floor near the main entrance. A bit more private...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple