“Good lunch spot.”

and 1 more site!
The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Called in for a late lunch. pub is lovely, decor modern but tasteful.

Had a delish steak and ale pie, chips, veg a little jug of gravy OH had a surf and turf.

Both meals lovely and fresh, large portions and were enjoyed. Staff very pleasant,

Drinks may be what some see as pricey, but they were lovely.Had been in Matlock Bath but their places to eat looked, well, awful, not much choice, fish n chips or scruffy looking pub.

Would definately eat here again.

P.S. Love the remarks the owner gives to critical reviews, very witty.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sxi1

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had a superb pub lunch here today. The menu isn't extensive or full of complicated dishes but just traditional pub food. I had the homemade steak, guiness and mushroom pie. It was served with a small jug of delicious gravy, mushy peas, a tiny glass of guiness and the best chips I've had for a very, very long time. I'm not a chip person. I'm always disappointed with them as they are usually frozen, poorly cooked, hard, tasteless and best avoided but WOW, the chips here are Amazing. They were chunky, soft, crispy, tasty and delicious. The pie was gorgeous, full of perfectly cooked steak. The service was very quick and the staff very polite and friendly. I hadn't read or researched anything about this pub, it was the first one I went into as I was hungry and the menu was appealing but I'm so glad I did. I would highly recommend this place. Can't wait to go back just for the chips.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Great central location for the town centre of Bakewell and also the Peak District. Even though in the centre of town and next to the pub, the rooms were detached and therefore quiet for a good night's sleep. Rooms very clean and well equipped. Car parking could be difficult dependent upon arrival time. Food very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Popped in after a walk in from Ashford mainly due to the recommendations on Trip Advisor. My first impressions weren't that good as it appeared that bar staff numbers (1) couldn’t match the stampede of customers who arrived at 12 opening on Sunday, big queue nearly made me walk out the door and I noticed others did but it was a bank holiday. I waited at the bar a good 10 minutes to be served. Anyway the backlog of customers at the bar did ease and I have to say the 2 x pints of Peak beers I consumed were exceptional and complimented a very decent and generous lamb Sunday roast.

For me it isn’t really my type of pub, the exterior oozes personality but inside I prefer a little more character and I wasn’t fond of the 80's background music which I found a little loud at times, each to their own though, just my observation.

Maybe my rating of very good is a little generous but I feel that average would be mean, good would be more appropriate I feel.

All in all a decent place with good beer and a hearty Sunday roast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iain4242
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Good Beer and a Good Sunday Lunch - on a Bank Holiday Sunday, sounds Good to me Iain4242.

Have to take issue with the fact you didn't like the fact there was no bar staff on until the stampede.

12 noon - The staff were getting ready for the stampede, but were otherwise doing other minor jobs in readiness, - you know the motto, "time to lean, it's time to clean" but when the herd arrived, and they did all at once, the lassoos were ready and waiting and we captured you, roped you in and served you with our local water and scran which you thoroughly enjoyed by the comments you posted.

Not your kind of Pub, we take on the chin - but we do our best and the music is for everybody and every taste.

We'll put Vera Lynn on next time you try our exceptional local ale and give a very decent and hearty Sunday Lunch - but in return we want that Very Good tick for doing our homework.

Maybe my response is only for those with a sense of humour or is that too mean - keep smiling regardless and we'll see you next time I feel.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Lovely food. The beef,turkey and lamb roasts were all thoroughly enjoyed by the 3 of us.Really tasty and the test of a good eatery is as much about thevegetables too..seasonal veg was a perfectly cooked combo of peas,cabbage,carrots. Satisfyingly huge Yorkshie puds We booked an early table as it was a sunny Bank Holiday Sunday and if you can, do the same as it gets busy particularly by the bar and by 12.30 there was already quite a bar queue. Right in the heart of town so great location. A helpful hint to note. food is ordered via the bar rather than the waitress.This wasnt obvious unless I missed any signs but I knew from other reviews. All in all a great choice and I'd definately come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SasR15
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Not the cheapest pub food in town, but has to be among the best quality. Nice selection of real ales / cider - extensive menu - great quality food, nicely presented, and good-sized portions. Would eat there again (and did!).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelsWithALaptop
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The Peacock was situated right in the centre of town with its own parking facilities which was good as all other parking in the town was pay and display.
This has a very popular restaurant and we were advised to book if we were going to eat that evening. That turned out to be very good advice, it was very busy.
It had a good pub type menu albeit a bit expensive.
The landlord brought his staff in earlier than normal the next morning as he realised we wanted to get an early get away after the very good freshly cooked breakfast. We appreciated that.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeralPutt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Riverside House Hotel
Riverside House Hotel
#2 of 4 in Ashford-in-the-Water
Devonshire Arms at Pilsley

Been to The Peacock Bakewell? Share your experiences!