“Worst place ever!!!”

Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Worst place ever!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

After reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews about the Peacock in Bakewell I wasn’t really sure whether I should book the Peacock or not. The owner’s comments to earlier negative reviews really put me off since his comments were written in quite an aggressive way.

I decided to book one of their cottages anyway since I liked the look of the cottages on their website and the location they are in. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed and the accommodation was a huge let down.

After an unfriendly welcome we were shown by a gentleman, who I think was the owner, to our accommodation. I realized straight away that this wasn’t one of their cottages. The accommodation which we were shown was what they called online a Studio/ Apartment and I brought this to the owner’s attention. Rather than explaining this to me in a professional manner we ended up in what I would call a heated discussion, which was super annoying and disappointing.

I guess I would have been fine with the accommodation if it would have at least been clean and in good condition. However, neither was the case and the sleepersofa was a disgrace. See attached pictures. Charging more than £150 per night for something like this is actually ridiculous especially since my sleep on that ‘sofa’ was quite painful after a few hours.

I would never recommend this place to anyone and I already look forward to the owner’s comments on my review, since I am sure he will have another absurd excuse and will not take responsibility for this.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
I am left with utter disbelief after reading this post from BerlinLondonNewYork, as I feel it is the classic case scenario of the customer being aggrieved that he had made a simple error of judgement, or even mistake and wanted to lay the blame on some one else, and in this particular case it was myself.

I don't think my welcome was unfriendly, after all BerlinLondonNewYork who incidently was German, and was with his parents who I presume didn't speak English, as they never spoke a word to me.

After I had shown the cottage to all three of the guests, within about 10-15 minutes BerlinLondonNewYork came storming through the front door of the Peacock and demanded a refund citing the reason as the cottage wasn't the one he had booked. I reacted in utter amazement, as I was aware this was exactly the booking BerlinLondonNewYork had made through booking.com and I then started to explain he was mistaken, and we then exchanged our points of view.

I explained that there were various photos on the Peacock web site, as well as the booking.com site and he had assumed wrongly or even taken for granted which cottage he had booked.

I clearly informed BerlinLondonNewYork that the description verified this, and that the cottage confirmation fully explained that the cottage had a sofa bed, as well as the double bed room.

BerlinLondonNewYork acted in a manner that led us both arguing the point, and I informed him I wasn't prepared to give a refund, as he had not booked direct with the Peacock (therefore I had lost control of the booking) and that I was liable to commission on the booking which FYI I can inform you, is 19% of the total paid by BerlinLondonNewYork.

In other words, if I was to give a refund we would have lost approx. £60, which is not reclaimable from our perspective, and this is because the reservation had been booked through a third party web site, and not direct through the Peacock. The description of the cottage booked, was the one I had allocated to the guest - ie. BerlinLondonNewYork received the exact cottage he had booked.

Please DO NOT USE these booking sites in our case, use them as a source of information and book direct with the Peacock and get yourself a better deal.

Then to go on in the post to describe the accommodation as not being clean and in good condition I find absurb, and in fact quite disgraceful.

I am sorry BerlinLondonNewYork, but the cottage was in actual fact, cleaned to a very high standard, and for you to download a photo of a ceiling light and describe it as 'dirty interior' is far from the truth. There was a minute strand of cob web on that particular light, and as you are probably more than aware, cob webs can present themselves at any given time, and you can not expect any cleaning service to comprehend that being so.

If the particular cottage had a 'dirty interior' I feel sure BerlinLondonNewYork would have taken more damming photographs to illutrate this fabrication to a better degree - so I refute this claim as pure nonsense.

I acknowledge the slight tear on the sofa bed and that has since been repaired - today in fact, as this was the first time I had been made aware of the tear. You also on your down loaded photographs describe the sofa bed as being worn out, and again I profusely call that a complete fabrication, as that sofa bed is shown on one of the photos on the web site and is actually only 18 months old and believe me cost a great deal of money - in the region of £600.

The light in the bath room is something I acknowledge with an aplogy, and that has since your stay been rectified - that was an issue I fully understand, but to go on a web site and highlight this and state it is the worst place ever is not exactly being very truthful or honest, is it?

After we had had the little heated discussion, I feel that you were aggrieved at your mistake, so you lay the blame entirely on me, hence your very bitter condescending review.

You never once came any where near the Peacock during your two day stay to openly discuss the issues, and that represents bitterness which you have expressed in your post and a little cowardly attitude, as I would have gladly sat down with you and come to some sort of compromise.

If the sofa bed was uncomfortable, I make an apology, but the sofa bed must not be considered a double bed as such, it is a sofa settee clearly described on the booking form you used, and with supporting images, it was a simple mistake that you didn't fully understand.

I am an honest man, who expects honesty and respect in return, but unfortunately BerlinLondonNewYork in his behaviour - with demands and denial (avoiding all contact - even to the fact the key was left without even facing me to explain the issue with the sofa bed etc,) For this reason also I feel BerlinLondonNewYork has not acted in a respecful and constructive manner.

To go on Trip Advisor in the way he has have is both disappointing and regretful - this is of course the customers privilege, but don't you feel it would have been far better to have approached me on a personal basis after the initial disagreement and talk it out.

I could, and would have offered the guest another room for him only, if the sofa bed situation had been explained in - how did you say in your post, 'explain in a professional manner', So where was your professional approach as you was travelling with two older companions, and for example for the second night we would have been more than willing to compensate the problem.

I was only made aware of the sofa bed 'problem' from BerlinLondonNewYork with the damming review - No one else has ever commented on this small tear, or mentioed, again quoting your phrase 'the sleep on the sofa was quite painful' - this I doubt very much, and we will never know who actually damaged it, maybe I have my suspicions, but I will keep my own council.

I sincerely hope you, and everybody else who reads this, respect and understand my opinion, as problems can be solved more effiencietly with communication - not demands and avoidance, as I feel BerlinLondonNewYork acted during our very short time together.

If you have views, and you have choice, I don't challenge any one on those subjects, but to exaggerate beyond any comprehension is not the correct answer, and that in this instance, I do challenge........

A good name is better than riches, as not every cloud brings rain, and it is well known empty vessels make the most noise.

Regards and Best Wishes,

Graham Webb.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Having read the proprietors responses to previous reviewers we were considering giving it a miss, however, we decided we were well up for the challenge. We booked a table for 4 of us (softy southerners) for 8pm and were able to choose our seating area. The proprietor greeted us at the bar and he seemed a genial sort of bloke. The menu was good as were the daily specials and we all found it hard to choose. 3 of us went for the steak and ale pie - a good choice served uniquely on what seemed to be wooden bread boards. The portions were large, the food was hot and the beef was tender. The fourth of our party had sausage and mash - tasty sausages although she was disappointed to receive her English mustard in sachets. Two of us shared a dessert - we had homemade banana loaf and honeycomb ice cream - nice! The beer drinkers were happy, sampling the Peak Ales, and the gin and tonic drinker happy that it met her exacting standards - tall glass, slice of lime. Service was good, the staff pleasant and the toilets we would give 8/10 (would have been 9 if the paper had been folded to a point like in hotels). All in all we would definitely recommend it - tho we were disappointed not to get the opportunity to spar with the boss :) ps the credit card charge was 50p not 20p as in previous reviews but we are not petty enough to mention it :-)

• Stayed August 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Now when Lynandphil post a review they certainly go for fine tuning and detail.....

Thank You for the post, with regards from the genial sort of guy, but Lynn we carn't fold the paper in the loos every five minutes especially in the ladies, as my staff would crucify me....have you seen how busy this Pub gets, but we'll settle for 8/10 as some Pub toilets I've seen wouldn't get a zero if I was handing out certificates - It is a new one on me though - certainly for a Pub, we do actually carry out this exercise in our guest rooms though.

Sorry about the Colman's Mustard sachets, but again if it ain't Colman's it ain't English Mustard!

You have to understand when I post a response on here in answer to the whinging ninnies, and I have to confess some of the moans and groans are very trivial as if some people look for issues - it is basically the genial guy taking the proverbial wee out of very condescending people in a honest and humble way - ie. Don't take them too seriously!

Regardless, we're all glad you enjoyed your Peacock experience, and the charge of 50p is on credit cards only, as debit cards there is no charge - just thought I'd mention it.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived after a long car journey to hotel staff that were helpful enough but not particularly friendly. The first thing we were told was that because we booked through booking.com we weren't entitled to breakfast and we had to pay extra for it, which is fine in itself but not what you want to hear when still exhausted from driving. As it turned out this was a blessing, we had a lovely breakfast at byways for half the price and at a time that suited us (breakfast was only available from 8.15-9 - a pretty small window!)

The room was clean and sufficient, to be honest though I would have expected a higher standard for the price. Luckily it was raining which meant there was little noise from the people in the beer garden (a potential problem in the summer).

We had dinner in the pub which was excellent, I have to say. Be warned though - very big portions!

All in all it was average to poor, service and room was acceptable, not exceptional, when you pay that much for a b&b you tend to expect a little more for your money.

• Stayed August 2013
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Not worth the review, is my responce to this pathetic review......so let's dig a little further!

Don't chastise us at the Peacock if you had a rotten car journey and the staff were helpful but not friendly....make your mind up!

Through your ignorance, you booked through booking.com, so again you try and aportion the blame on us - we didn't book the room, you did, and through booking.com it CLEARLY states room only.
Don't be lazy next time, pick up the phone and take two or three minutes to talk to some one who can explain what you are getting for your money, and this would have INCLUDED a full, and may I say exceptional English breakfast, and the room would have been at a far better rate than offered on a third party mercenary web site such as booking.com.
You pontifcate how 8.15 - 9.00am is a small window, well I can assure you hsj_3, it suits the majority of people who care to get out of bed in a morning, and if you had chosen to eat breakfast "so early in the morning" and for the extra £9.95 you would have had to pay through choosing to book via these web sites that charge extorianate commision you would have had the choice of:

fresh fruit, yoggarts, cereals, an abundance of fresh juices to pick from and as much tea or coffee you could swallow.
this would have been followed by a full English cooked breakfast consisting of eggs (any way you want them), bacon, tomatoes, hash browns, fresh mushrooms, black pudding and baked beans with toast & various local jams to follow and if there had been enough room a choice of homemade delicatessants. - Not worth the £9.95 was it?
ad that lot up any where in any local establishment and "half price" - you must be joking!

You didn't even want to embrace our lovely beer garden that is full of the most gorgeous flowers with robust surrounding tables and umbrellas to sit out in the sun - oh I nearly forgot, you said "luckily it was raining" so there was little noise from guests and patrons of the Peacock so you personally avoided a potential problem.

I feel the statement you make - 'luckily it was raining' gives all the listeners out in Trip Advisor Land the type of personality you are - Whinger did come to my mind!
You close by saying the experiance was average to poor - let me say you are of course entitled to an opinion , but it is a opinion that has no respect from yours truly, as all the rooms at the Peacock are of a differant personality and size, and are cleaned meticullosly on every check out and refreshed on more than a days stay, and I think I can speak from most people who visit the Peacock and Bakewell the claim 'all in all it was average to poor' is just a load of nonsense.
You simply didn't like the fact you'd had a long journey and had to pay for breakfast.
Hey at least we got you on the large portions that you gobbled up in the lovely pictureque town of Bakewell albeit in the rain!

Worth every penny, and would have been cheaper if you had communication skills.

So what is the moral of this tale of woe - BOOK DIRECT with the Peacock and understand what you are getting, and what you are getting is; Value for Money, don't waste time with booking.com or other associates - they are simply used as a window so you can find us, visit our web site and take it from there.

Good Hunting.
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We have just returned from an overnight stay at Bakewell. We decided to eat here for lunch - great choice. Plenty to choose from off the menu. Lovely beer garden and friendly staff. We had such a lovely afternoon we decided to eat here for evening meal as well! We choose the lamb from the specials board. Beautifully presented - money well spent. Would definitely visit again :)

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank You for the Lovely review Jenna....

We feel that you have said it how it is, and we'd agree money is always well spent at the Peacock whether choosing to dine, or simply having a beer and the luxury of the lovely summer gives customers to again have a choice of the inside or outside in the lovely beer garden.

Lovely.........long may the gorgeous weather continue.
crewe
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have just arrived back from an excellent 2 night break at The Peacock. As we booked late the only available room, was the small double with bathroom opposite, we were a bit apprehensive about this, but it really didn't matter. Room was spotless, bed comfy, lovely bathroom with fab shower. The breakfast was great, and as for the main food menu, excellent choice, and beautifully presented, we will definitely return.

The added touch was the Lou Christie song that the landlord kindly put on the jukebox for me!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Caroline from Crewe - thank you for the lovely review and so glad you enjoyed your stay along with the Gammon, Steak on the Stone, Lamb Cutlets, the lovely Breakfasts, etc etc and as a reward "I'm gonna make you mine" Oops sorry that's Mr. Christie's line........

Take Care - Graham
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Visited the peacock several times when paragliding in the peaks! to sum it up..... Brilliant pub, brilliant fresh food (everything we tried was cooked to perfection!!), great selection of drinks,excellent service,friendly staff,superb location!!!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Top Notch Neil R - thank you, as we carn't really add to that Neil.

Top Notch - sounds about right though!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Good food. Mostly pub classics, but with something extra. Everything was really tasty. We had haddock and chips, a veggie burger and the poached salmon, and onion rings to share. All the meals were big and we struggled to finish it all. The salmon platter was beautiful, but cold. It's intended to be cold but this wasn't mentioned in the menu so we were slightly surprised, but all the same still delicious, just not what we expected. The sweet potato fries which were with the burger were a favourite of us all, but not available to order as a side, as with other chips?? The setting was also lovely, we sat outside in the sun. Big umbrellas provided shade if desired and there were plently of beautiful flowers, the outside music playing meant you felt like you were in France not the middle of Derbyshire. We will go back, but the only quibble was that service was very slow, and it wasn't that busy. We were in no rush so it was ok for us, but we waited almost an hour for our food, whic

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
thepeacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
RosieValley - you disappoint me with your glowing review, but your condemnation of the superb Salmon Platter we served you, that unknowingly to you it was served cold - this is why the platter was put up on the specials board during this mini heat wave in the UK, because it is a delicious SALAD consisting of:

Fresh Poached Salmon, Gradvalax and Icelandic Prawns with Homemade Horseradish Potato Salad.

At £13.95, that in many a restaurant would come in at around £20, it was again superb value using fresh produce, but little understandings do happen, but we still thank you for your nice comments on the Peacock in general.

On the slow service - you must, and I repeat must understand that Quality does take time in preparation and it is always worth the wait when your meal is presented to you. Trust me when I say that the chefs take their time for a reason, as well as the obvious being busy - the food is served to a high standard with competence and pride so you the customer are satisfied.

Unfortunately - for what ever reasons, which i will never understand, certain people/customers expect a quick fire meal put in front of them as if they were ordering from a cafe, it isn't as such at the Peacock - we don't rush nice food and couldn't if we tried, even in quieter times.

Quality Food is Quality Food and takes that little extra effort.

On a closing issue, the sweet potato fries can be ordered as a side or alternative, and just one more closing issue when you are sat outside in a lovely beer garden with the sun shining, under an umbrella in the shade, surrounded by beautiful flowers, drinking fine wine and eating delicious food, thinking you are in France - although I think around this are of the Peaks is nicer - how can there be the slightest of any given Quibble?

c'était quelque chose de plus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell