“Good pub grub”

Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Myself and family have eaten here on several occasions. The food is always of a high standard, served hot and fresh and by friendly staff.
The ambience is good helped by the candles on the tables and the music from the jukebox.
If I was to have one gripe, it would be that people stood at the bar drinking can impact on you enjoying your meal as the bar is more or less on top of the tables for diners.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsHL55
thepeacockbakewell, Why do people hang around the bar, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
.....and you're always welcome Mrs H.

Apologies for the ones who hang around the bar, I'll do what I can to move them, as I'm not a lover of bar moles either!

Thanks all the same for the complimentary review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
hornchurch,essex
Reviewed 29 April 2014

As Raja's was fully booked on Saturday night (reviewed separately) we went in here for a meal. It was how a pub should be: full of people, a lively jukebox and three well kept ales on the hand pumps - I particularly enjoyed the Peak Ale bitter.
Our meals were very good. I had a corn beef hash cake topped with a ducks egg and chunky chips. My 'other half' had the steak and ale pie ( the ale was served up in a small glass in case you don't like beer, which she does not) and vegetables. The food was of a good quality, good portions and well cooked. I find this serving things up on wooden boards a bit odd, but I understand that it is all the rage. The service was prompt. Not the cheapest place to eat in Bakewell, but worth the money

1 Thank johnofhornchurch
thepeacockbakewell, it's all the rage and it was started, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
.....and likewise how a review should be!

Honest & Direct - and worth every penny.

Thanks to the John of Hornchurch - a suburban town in East London, and part of the London Borough of Havering, located 15.2 miles east-northeast of Charing Cross and is one of the locally important district centres identified in the London.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just called in The Peacock while in Bakewell for something to eat, and ordered Cod, Chips and Peas. They came served on a board red hot and enormous!! The batter was crisp the cod white and flaky and the chips crispy. They were absolutely delicious. They weren't the cheapest in town but they did stipulate the fish as Cod, were excellent and the portion size very large.

The staff were pleasant and helpful so the combination making a very enjoyable meal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
thepeacockbakewell, the fish fryer, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Quality comes in at a price Kitty - and I'm sure it didn't bother you, but thanks for the positive review.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Visited with a group of 14 in April 14.

Despite the reservations being confirmed 3 days before arrival, they only managed to get 2 out of the 6 bookings correct!!!

Supposedly upgraded us to alternative superior accommodation, but actually just "double booked" us & farmed us out to alternative, far reaching destinations spread across Bakewell...absolute profiteering at its finest!

As can be witnessed from his quite unbelievably rude & aggressive responses to complaints on this site, Graham the landlord is some piece of work and has no concept of how to treat customers fairly or accept any responsibility for his own failings.

Be assured he is even more impressive in the flesh, at one point, whilst we were requesting clean bedding (as that on the beds, was full over hairs!!), lunging over the bar at 2 of the females on our party and screaming he was going to cancel our table reservation.
Thankfully the whole party moved on & we ate elsewhere.

Without doubt, the worst customer service ever experienced in our lives and a disgrace to the tourism industry.
A outstanding case of "over promise and under deliver".

This place survives off it's location & nothing more from our experience.
If you can avoid this place do so at all costs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
29 Thank JWLSheffield
thepeacockbakewell, Billy Liar's witness was, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
AN UNBELIEVABLE ATTACK - ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE

This is an absolutely unbelievable attack/review where lies have been manufactured to put massive spin on the truth....and the behaviour of one certain individual of the party is something I have never come across in all my time at the Peacock, which is seven years. The winging and moaning was something you had to witness to believe..........

JWL from Sheffield DID NOT even witness the incidents in the Bar, she is basically repeating what she has been told - PLEASE READ ON:

We simply overbooked, and the efforts I went to ensuring that Six Guests were given, what I think was fantastic accommodation as an alternative makes this review quite unbelievable.

Four of the party booked the family room, which is exactly that, a family room in all intent and purposes for two adults and two children, and two of the party booked a double room, so I moved the four at my discretion to a beautiful cottage on Prospect Terrace in Bakewell, and two more of the party (who yes I had made the mistake of double booking) into Melbourne House B & B. where they were allocated a lovely double bedroom.

The cottage is owned by a friend of mine, and has just this last few weeks finished being refurbished at a cost in excess of £30,000 and had never previously been used - I had only had the TV fitted 3 days previous as a favour, as the owner was in Majorca and asked me to help him out.

You can visit and see for yourself how beautiful the cottage is, if you visit the web on Bakewell Retreat and link on to Penn Cottage - How gorgeous and beautiful is that cottage?

After two of the women were allocated the cottage along with their husbands, they started winging in that weak moaning type of voice - I asked them where was the problem, as surely they understood, and should embrace the fantastic locality that is the best of Bakewell - the privacy and fantastic views from the spacious terrace, not forgetting they were actually being given a lovely cottage to stay in for the night at my expense, as opposed to a smaller family room they had originally booked that, to say the least was only really appropriate for two adults and two children.

Unfortunately it wasn't good enough, but I'm sure we've all met the type.....

You can also visit Melbourne House on Trip Advisor to see how lovely the B & B is, run by John & Marie - the reviews are fantastic.

The only answers I got, when I explained the reasoning and mistake was, that they had booked a room in a pub and they wanted to be near their friends. They then started complaining that they would have to walk down the hill into Bakewell and in their high heels and they didn't like to think they would have to walk back after a meal and a few beers.

I countered this by the offer I would personally give them a lift back at night!

On this offering, it was thrown in my face that Breakfast is at 9 o'clock, and that they would have to walk to the Peacock on Sunday morning, but again I countered this by saying that I would give them a 9.30am window, and surely they should embrace a lovely walk down Fly Hill into the centre of Bakewell on a quiet Sunday morning and it should/would be a pleasure.

More and more they just kept saying it's not what we booked, and we want to be near our friends - until I just simply informed them that I honestly believed I had pulled out all the stops and nothing I could do would appease them, they were simply finding excuses with every explanation I gave, and this was something I would repeat later in the evening when the moans just carried on until enough was enough.

The two other guests were then taken to Melbourne House, where John - the owner phoned myself and informed me they were complaining, as it was too far out of town, they too wanted to be with their friends, and they didn't want to walk the 300 yards or so into town. Apparently after a chat with John, and seeing the room allocated, they changed their minds.

Why do grown men and women feel the need on a day out that they have to be next door to their friends, when they will be spending the best part of the evening sat at the same table eating, drinking, talking, having a laugh etc.

If it was a school trip of under 14's I would understand, but grown up individuals I'm sorry....and lets's be honest here, we now all have the mobile phone, so what the heck is 300 yards when you're all gonna meet up anyway!

The whole party of 12, on arriving and checking in at the Peacock in the late afternoon, asked if they could book the conservatory and 'balloon the room up' with birthday banners and such, for a meal booked for 14 persons, in which although the meal wasn't booked until 8pm, I had no objection to, although it was a very busy Saturday night, and we could not let anyone use the six tables in the conservatory after 6.30pm, as I felt it wouldn't be right if any one would have prevented the party from sitting down at the 8pm request.

So let's be clear here, I was losing 6 tables that we could have used between 6.30pm - and 7.30pm, but I thought it was the least I could do under the circumstances.

Ten of the party turned up at around 7.30pm, and of course sat down, started on a few beers and bottles of wine, awaiting the four who had been allocated Penn Cottage.

On arrival of the four, one of the women came to the bar and told me that the bed in one room wasn't clean - I queried to what extent and she informed me there were hairs in the bed.

I questioned this accusation and informed her that although the cottage wasn't mine, I had phoned and spoken to the owner prior to taking them up to the cottage, and he had clarified the cottage was clean and had not been used.

I then phoned the owner in their presence at 8.15, put the phone on loudspeaker so she herself could hear the conversation and asked the owner, who was still in Majorca, in front of their very eyes and ears if he cottage was clean, and had it been ever used. He informed me before them, that the cottage had new sheets, and the beds in both rooms had never been slept in - in fact it was the very first time he'd allowed Penn Cottage to be used, and this was for a one night favour to help out in the predicament I was in.

The Peacock was absolutely jam packed, and this conversation took place in the vicinity of the Juke Box, with the noise level in the Pub quite high. At this time it was to say the least very noisy, and we couldn't be heard clearly, so to carry out the conversation to include all the four persons I had to shout above the level of noise generated by diners, drinkers and even the Juke Box - yes you get the picture, the Peacock was very busy and it was rather noisy, I was then accused by the lady who I was originally having a conversation with of being aggressive and threatening, - Utter Nonsense, I was simply trying to make myself heard, above the noise level on a Saturday night, don't forget at 8.28pm - the time as proven on CCTV.

The statement she makes saying I was "lunging over the bar at 2 of the females on our party and screaming he was going to cancel our table reservation". is an absolute disgrace, and I have studied the CCTV evidence to prove my case JWL - This is an out and out fabricated lies and I only wish it was a court of law and you would be humiliated beyond doubt with that accusation.

I informed the guest that there was no way the rooms were as described, but as I was responsible for the booking, I would personally take one member of staff, and put brand new sheets from our laundry on both beds in the cottage whilst they had their meal - this I did, and having checked the bedding on arrival there were no hairs or anything, the sheets were obviously brand new and untouched - nether the less the sheets were changed, as to simply keep my promise made.

The lady just wouldn't stop complaining, going onto that although originally only 12 guests had been booked, they had added a further two making 14 in total, and we had forgotten to make a place for them - that had already been dealt with, in fact a couple of the male guests helped set the other two places on their early arrival.

I then basically said, 'enough is enough, just like this morning, what ever I do for you it is never going to be enough, and I don't think you should dine here tonight, so I would prefer if you dined elsewhere as no matter what I do it simply isn't good enough'. I asked the four to leave to which one of the men shouted at me that You can't do that, and by the fact one had a 'I'm Forty' Birthday Badge pinned on his shirt about 12 inches in diameter, left me with little respect to whom I was discussing - although at a later stage we did have a chat about the night's events, and he was very amicable with me on what had gone on!

I was just about to inform the 10 who were in the conservatory, when I thought - No, that can't be fair on the 10 guests already sat down, so I decided to change my mind, and left the situation at that.

What happened after informing the four they couldn't dine, I've had to check on the CCTV, as the party were out of my eye line in the Conservatory, and that disclosed that the lady who I informed couldn't eat went to all the other guests, and instigated that the party should leave, and at 20.44 the whole 14 guests left the Peacock. Just to clarify it was the lady with the 'bob haircut' and brown jumper from your party - I have just watched her spend 8 minutes on CCTV going around the group 'instigating trouble' and encouraging them to leave when ten of them were laughing and joking and generally having a good time!!!

Even to the point of upsetting the lady - the author of this review, who had arranged the whole gathering - who needs friends eh!

It was interesting to note that two of the men returned at 10.05pm and had a couple of whiskies - and they informed us, it was to get out of the way of the women nagging all night!

Apologies for going into a long winded explanation on this, but it was a simple case over a double booking - that for all intent and purpose wasn't our fault, but I chose to deal with it the way I did, and saw no harm in giving the Guests alternate accommodation, as it was up to a fantastic spec, and the cottage was was/is fantastic, and I will hear by endorse, so if you ever want a four night stay (the minimum Penn Cottage owners allow I think is 4 nights) in Bakewell, visit Penn Cottage on the web and book it - it is simply gorgeous, although it comes with a steep walk up Fly Hill of about 5 minutes up, and about 3 minutes down.

The next morning 10 of the guests disappeared without a good bye or offering to pay the £450 outstanding balance - this after using 3 rooms at the Peacock, - not two as you state, Melbourne House and Penn Cottage. It was only by a bit of fortune that one of the male guests who had used Penn Cottage, came into the Peacock to hand the keys in, and proceeded to walk out - I had to call him back about payment.

It's called 'Doing a Runner' where I come from......

He informed me that the arranger of the night out had informed him everything had been paid so he called her on the telephone, and within about 10 minutes she returned and we negotiated a deal to which I gave the party a £250 reduction. Why - as I write this, I don't know - but after the lady who complained and complained and in all essence I believe was responsible for spoiling the get together, maybe I thought at the time this was the correct action to take. After re running it my own mind and giving it full analysis, I think this is what she was after all the time and I shouldn't have been so generous - but hey I can live with that!

They had already paid a £250 deposit and still owed £450, of which I had to pay Melbourne House £90 and Penn Cottage £190 please inform me JWL from Sheffield where I profiteering, as I discussed the implications of the double booking and agreed to refund the party £250 of the total bill of £700.

You are in my opinion a very ungrateful,.....well I am not allowed on this site to call you what I really think of you, but I can hold my head high, as I don't lie, but you don't really deserve the right to be acknowledged I feel, as I write this, and who no matter hard, how much I did for you and your friend, it would never never be enough.

I do not envy you for one second....but the truth has to be displayed on Trip Advisor for all to judge!

The difference in my account and JWL's is that I was there, while she at the time was having a laugh and and joke with nine of her friends in another room, quite oblivious to her moaning friend.

Please answer me this JWL - why have you come to Trip Advisor to report on something you were not even witness too, and only have heard second hand?

Who complains about being given lovely alternate accommodation, in lovely positions in Bakewell, all be it a few minutes walk from the Peacock, I for one will never understand

I rest my case.....as you got the £250 reduction you no doubt hankered after, and you do not like being told how it is under certain unfortunate circumstances. I did apologise on more than one occasion, but I feel it was blood the girl with the bobbed hair required, and I don't give my blood to any one - hence she was informed to leave and dine else where.

I offer my apologies to your party for spoiling the pre-arranged meal at the Peacock, but to you for writing this review, when I doubt you have the facts, and the lady in the brown jumper and bob hair cut, for instigating the trouble - I have nothing but contempt.

You should watch you tube sometime, and listen to the likes of Ian Dury on Parkinson and understand a deal is a deal, even though nothing is said?

I made a mistake, but put that mistake right, and also arranged more than adequate accommodation, but it seemed a bridge (walk) too far for initially six originally, but two changed their minds after seeing the alternative, and the complaint about a table of 12 which should have been 14, which again was put right in less than two minutes was just plain vindictive!

The Cottage was spotless, but I listened and put it right, and you know what, kept my blood!

It was quite ironic, when I bothered to stay up till past 1am waiting for the Penn Cottage guests to pick up the keys from the Peacock they had left me, so I could gain access to return and change the sheets, as agreed.

Unbeknown to me they had found a spare set, but rather worried I drove up to Prospect Hill at 1.10am in the morning because I was worried how they would gain access, had they gone home? - No, four of them were all in the lounge drinking and talking you know 'swanning it' as if to say 'Hey - it's not bad here after all' - Please don't deny it - I watched you from out side the window.

Ah Well, at least you were safe inside......and I was actually worried something had actually happened to you - I must be going soft as I grow older!

To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.

Sometimes doing your best is not good enough, sometimes you must do what is required, as difficulties mastered are opportunities won.

Graham Webb
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at the Peacock for one night over the Easter period. The room we stayed in was nice, not quite what I expected for the money I paid but I'd happily stay again. It was very quiet considering the pub garden was right outside our window. The only thing I wasn't overly impressed about was having all the supplies and cleaning equipment stored outside our room. At times I went outside our room and the cupboard doors had been left open causing me to hit my door onto it, both unprofessional and annoying! Also in the morning we could hear people coming in to get stuff out the cupboards. When you've paid over £90 for a room you don't expect to be woken up.

The pub was lovely and although the drinks were not cheap, having come form a rural village myself I understand it can't always be cheap! We stayed for a meal where I had the crab cakes and the steak pie, both of which I loved. My husband had the garlic mushrooms which he loved and the burger. Although he liked it he felt it was over seasoned. There was a wait between courses which was a little longer than needed but I thoroughly enjoyed the food. Some staff were extremely friendly and polite. The young lad behind the bar needs to be reminded to crack a smile!

Although i feel the room was overpriced for what we got and the wake up call I would happily come back again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, when a crab is more than a crab cake, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
I read this review, and although in essence it says many complimentary things about your stay for one night over Easter Pip, I am very disappointed in a couple of issues you seem to moan about.....oh and having my reply removed because you don't have a sense of humour

......shame on you!

But let's get one thing clear, you cannot possibly have hit your door onto the cleaning cupboard doors, as the room door your room occupied opens inwards, so what ever statement you are making, simply isn't true, and I will give you a thousand pounds if you can get the said doors to clash. The bedroom doors on all the rooms at the Peacock do not open outwards on to any corridor - so why make this accusation?

The second issue is, the cleaners do not start cleaning the rooms until 10am - check out time, and if you were only staying the one night, you should be long gone after eating your breakfast, so where does the idea you can have a lie in come from - I feel your review is, how did you put it in comparison "both unprofessional and annoying"

And if you "could hear people coming in to get stuff out the cupboards." let me inform you the cleaners do not start work until 9am - the pub & toilets being the first jobs of the day......

I get the feeling a few 'porky pies' have been posted here!

Nether the less I feel you raise the most important issues, and give good head to many points, and if John (the young lad behind the bar) wasn't smiling at a particular time you were at the bar - I have horse whipped him on your behalf, and as a result he has promised to always smile in future, but in his defence you will not find a more honest and nicely spoken lad of 19 years old.

Oh and before I forget, the burgers in our opinion are the best you will ever taste, and they are seasoned, being home made, this adding to the delicious flavour!

Graham - "Madam, would you sleep with me for a million pounds?"

Madam: "My goodness, Graham... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course..."

Graham: "Would you sleep with me for fifty pounds?"

Madam: "Graham, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"

Graham: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed in Bakewell over the Easter weekend and decided to eat at the Peacock on Easter Saturday. The pub was very busy but we were lucky enough to get a table for 2. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful and the food was just fantastic! I ordered the beef and Guinness pie with veg and my partner had the fish and chips. Both dishes were served in the most delightful way and tasted delicious. Both the presentation and the taste of the the food were faultless. We will definately be returning! Anyone visiting Bakewell must visit the Peacock, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
thepeacockbakewell, Listen to Sally when, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
....and as Sally says....

Anyone visiting Bakewell must visit the Peacock, you will not be disappointed!

I'd have to agree with that little innuendo, so a Big Thank you from all the staff!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We Googled where to eat in Bakewell, and up came The Peacock Hotel. So after a short walk along the beautiful river on Good Friday afternoon, we called into book.
The bar was quiet busy but after waiting over 10 minutes and not even being acknowledged by staff we stopped a waitress to ask if we could reserve a table. She looked confused and explained we could book. So after waiting another short period she never came back. So we decided, they wouldn't spoil our day and we'd ring later. When we rang the person on the end of the phone basically told us off for ringing at such a busy time, and if your lucky "we may fit you in".
Rude, totally after]the tourist buck,.

Room Tip: Go to the Queens Next door for a cheaper pint, and to The Manners for cheaper and better food.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank matt w
thepeacockbakewell, Why Google Us when you've Already Dined at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
This is an update on this review/response, because I wrote to MissAimeeC & Matt w to apologise for the misunderstanding, and low and behold Matt informed me that the had already eaten at the Peacock prior to this little escapade and it was just Last Christmas......

Can't really fathom out why you would have to google to find us a second time Aimee - but everybody has a reason - or so they say!

Maybe the pair of you should follow your own advice in future and go elsewhere, I don't know and I'm not sure if I even care, but I have kept my original response on below for all to read.

What it does inform me, is that you are both a little quick to condem, when a personal email to myself would be to every bodies advantage rather than going down the Trip Advisor route, because we both know you'd rather spend your time when you call into Bakewell, in the Peacock as opposed to anywhere else, even if the beer is about 15p a pint more expensive.....

Just a Thought....

ORIGINAL RESPONSE TO REVIEW:

I feel this is a very vindictive attack and a slur on the Peacock because Matt w and his girlfriend MissAimeeC - who incidentally has posted a similar post on Trip Advisor, failed to get served under extreme pressure in the Peacock at the time of their visit because we were packed, packed, packed to the rafters over the Easter Holidays.

If you are to condemn Matt w please get your facts right:

You were never made to wait ten minutes - it just doesn't happen!

We would "never tell you off" for phoning to book a table - not even up for discussion!

We were very polite in informing you that we would try and fit you in - I was stood next to Jessica when this conversation took place, and she very politely informed you how "busy we were, and that we would try and fit you" in among all the booked tables and walk-ins etc.

FYI - Jessica hasn't got a rude bone or blood vessel in her body!!!

You say in your Room Tip - the Manners has cheaper and better food - How would you know if you've not eaten at the Peacock?

I described in length on the Peacock's Trip Advisor Restaurant site the Why's and Wherefore's in response to your girlfriend MissAimeeC post of how rude she thought we were - if you feel the need for Conspiracy, that's fine, but you also condemn the Bakewell Old House Museum for not having a card machine, so you post a review having not even been able to experience the lovely building - how sad are you Matt w

The Peacock may not be the Best Pub in Bakewell, although it is in the Top One, but between the pair of you to condemn us, and not all that truthfully, is your privilidge, but I feel it is just sour grapes, and I would much rather dismiss the one customer in a thousand that has sour grapes, that has not even spent a penny in the Peacock, compared to the many thousands who do invest and throughly enjoy the experience!

We are not rude, and after the tourist buck as you politely put it - we are busy, often beyond belief and that is life at this Pub, and that we are busy is for a reason - we are damned good at what we do, it's maybe not how you want to report it, but everybody in this town respects and looks to the Peacock for inspiration and ideas.

We are the leaders in this town and many people are - and I would probably put you in this category, for what ever reason are jealous of leaders as they always think they can do a better job!

Talk is cheap - Actions speak Louder than Words as Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen, and Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Everyone is in favour of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it, is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage, and in the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at with no result.........

.....you missed again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
#1 of 1 in Over Haddon
Castle Inn Bakewell
Castle Inn Bakewell
#6 of 44 in Bakewell

Been to The Peacock Bakewell? Share your experiences!