“lovely stay”

The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #15 of 45 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was a lovely place to stay. In a great position for walking around this town. Bakewell has lots of nice little individual shops. The restaurants at the Peacock serves lovely home cooked food, the portions a very good. The staff were very polite. The rooms are very nice and have everything we needed for our overnight stay. We were in a room which was next to the main building.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jambo2456
thepeacockbakewell, Not Rambo - surely not at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

And a lovely review Jambo - many thanks for illustrating the positives about the Peacock and Bakewell - always, always appreciated!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We happened upon the pub. The good was surprisingly good - I had a beef and ale pie, which came with a cute mini glass of beer. Lovely selection of veg, although the handcut chunky chips were £1.50 more. My partner had the homity pie which was also excellent. Only slight negative was that there were a number of young girls staffing the place, and they did not add to the experience or rush to serve at the bar. Nevertheless the pub food deserved the 5 stars.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon G
thepeacockbakewell, What Happened, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thanks for the positive review Simon - take on board the girls being left on their own for an hour or so on Sunday, I was busy elsewhere, but they have all been gagged, whipped and beaten and they all promise it will not happen again.

I've already noticed a new breed out there, and now they are driving everybody nuts with their eagerness...

Thanks for the five stars though!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

4 of us (2 couples) stayed at the Peacock for 5 nights over the bank holiday weekend 2nd -6th May. We stayed in rooms 4 and 5 which are in a little annex adjacent to the pub. The rooms were nicely appointed and spacious but we found our room to be a little short of storage for a 5 night stay. The landlord told us that a 5 night stay is quite unusual, most guests preferring to stay for 2 or three nights in which case the storage is perfectly adequate.
There was something wrong with the hot water in our room. The sink tap just trickled hot water , however the shower was not affected and was very good indeed. Our companions in room 4 had a real problem with their shower it being impossible to regulate the hot and cold which is actually a bit dangerous. This was reported to the proprietor who assured us this would be looked at, putting it down to an air lock problem. Watch out for this if you stay in room 4.
We had our breakfast's and dinners in the pub every day. Breakfast was very good, cereal, fruit yogurt etc. You could have exactly what you wanted for cooked and this was obviously prepared freshly on each occasion. .On the first three mornings we were served by an excellent gentleman whose name I failed to get but he looked after us very well indeed. We had a reserved table for each night and this proved to be a good move over the BH weekend as the pub is very very busy. Despite this the bar staff were at all times very efficient and helpful and the food arrived within a reasonable time. The menu is very good and we didn't lack for choice because as well as the main menu there is a specials board to choose from. We really enjoyed the food which was very well cooked and extremely tasty.
Parking can be a bit of a problem as most of the pub car park is taken up with tables and benches for the pub. There are usually a couple of spaces free but you might need to move some of the tables to get in which is what happened to us on a couple of occasions. This is a bit of a nuisance because you don't know if you are going to get a space when you return at the end of the day and we were told by one of the pub staff that parking in the main public car parks in Bakewell is strictly controlled by some very aggravating traffic wardens so it's essential to be able to park in the pub car park for your own convenience.
Bakewell itself is a delightful town being well placed for the many attractions the area has to offer. Chatsworth, Hardwick Hall, Eyme and my favourite, the Tram museum which is like a mini Beamish. There was a market in Bakewelll on the BH Monday which was nice to stroll around.Thanks to all the staff for a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 & 5 are on the 1st floor of the annexe and are quite secluded and quiet with their own f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HertfordshireClem
thepeacockbakewell, the guy at the Peacock says never mind car parking, find the trams when you stay, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you to the HertfordshireClem for the very honest and direct review.

I won't repeat what you've clearly out lined, as I know you throughly enjoyed your stay in Bakewell, especially all your meals dining with us on all five nights and trying out many different evening meals and breakfasts each morning, which put you in good stead for yours days trials and journeys around the lovely sights & sounds in the Peaks.....

The showers are nice, but the water pressure around Bakewell this last week or so, was shall we say inconsistent, and I think we got the butt of the problems with fine tuning the hot water - but I'm happy to confirm it wasn't a problem, as you never once complained or mentioned it to our excellent gentleman who had the pleasure to serve you for morning breakfast - Can't think of his name either!!!

Parking is a Premium in Bakewell with a capital P, and we are fortunate to offer car parking on a first come availability, and the traffic wardens are as you rightly state a bloody nuisance - so all you happy campers who visit our lovely town - BEWARE!

Regardless you made the most of your visit, and I for one would always recommend a visit to Chatsworth House and always a good second choice is the Crich Tram Museum/Village which is near Matlock, and although it's about 15 miles from Bakewell, it only takes about 30 minutes in the car - well worth the effort.

.....thanks and see you again!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

After a personal recommendation, we called at the Peacock for a meal on Sunday May 3rd about 5pm. The food was excellent, well cooked, well presented, tasty and there was plenty of it. All three of us had different meals and all were all to the same high standard. The service by the bar and table staff was also good. When we arrived, we commented that it was good to see that there were tables marked “Reserved for Diners Only” set aside for customers who wanted to eat, as opposed to just having a drink, and we selected a quiet table in the corner.

We purchased our drinks, ordered food and settled down to wait. After a while a woman approached. She stood some distance from our table and loudly demanded to know why we were seated at a reserved table. This proclamation, also caught the attention of several diners on adjacent tables who; to our humiliation, watched with rapt attention, as in full public view, we had to stand and be escorted to another table. By way of explanation to the listening audience, I felt it necessary to point out that we felt that the sign “Reserved for Diners only” was misleading, as we were in fact dining, and that if the sign had simply read “Reserved” we would not have occupied the table in the first place. The woman replied with a terse “Whatever we put, someone complains about it!” Personally, I fail to see this. Surely, a sign simply saying “Reserved” has been in use at restaurants worldwide for decades and is universally understood by everyone. On the other hand, by way of illustration, if there were a sign in a pub car park stating ‘Reserved for Customers only’ would anyone feel unable to leave their vehicle there unless they had pre booked?

We were informed that our original table had been booked for a family with a buggy because of it having better access. We fully understand that. If we had been approached discreetly, and our error explained, we would have been more than willing to move to another table. Our complaint is not about the wording of the sign, nor is it about being asked to move, but the way that it was done in that we were publically humiliated in front of other diners.

So, if you want good food, then go to The Peacock. However unless you want to be publically humiliated, don’t just sit at a table marked “Reserved for Diners only” even if you are dining.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
16  Thank Stem_Notts
thepeacockbakewell, when a pressure pot is a pressure pot, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank You Stem from Nottingham for the review, but don't go blaming us because Forest messed it up for the play-off's, and next years manager - what's all that about?.....

Just kidding of course, but don't bank on top 18 next season.

So onto the serious issue - everything's fine until some woman approached.....who is this woman, we've dis-owned her, and told her so many times to stop humiliating customers's, does she listen, does she heck - any suggestions what we can do with her will be gratefully accepted of course!

Just because she is the Landlady what gives her the right to go around publicly humiliating, you the customer when you've only come out to relax and have some good pub grub!

......Stem, I understand your comments and can only say sorry, but it was a Bank Holiday Sunday - The Peacock had broken all records, served immaculate food all day, the Pub was what can only be described as absolutely packed to beyond belief, and I honestly think you just got the wrong 30 seconds of the pressure pot boiling over in that moment....

Yes, I know it shouldn't happen, but in the heat of the moment it did, but in the good ladies defence - and she is a lovely lady, I watched the CCTV and the Peacock had been, was manic inside and outside, and it was just that, a heated moment - we've all had one, you've had one, and after watching the replay, the moment I don't think it was as bad as you portray.

You have gone in to great depth to explain your thoughts, feelings and even frustration, but it can't deter from the the fact - and I repeat we had been under massive pressure all day, the fantastic food you were served, it was a simple blip, and I don't think any body was humiliated by any stretch of the imagination. You of course are entitled to vent your frustration, I, we all respect that, but I'd be more concerned with the public humiliation Forest endured throwing away the play-offs.....

But, and on the other side of the coin, was that I actually watched on CCTV, a very nice lady politely inform you that the four seat table was already being taken by a party that had the use of a buggy, and they had just popped out to inform their friends the arrangements, and therefore you were simply being asked if you'd mind sitting elsewhere for where access without a buggy wasn't a problem.

The lady carried out these instructions with respect, asked you quite discreetly if you would mind moving to a more appropriate table as the one you were sat at had been specially requested, and in no way drew any attention to the matter, but it was the male of the party who stated raising his voice, and drew all the attention, in a raised voice saying the tables were reserved for diners and that they were dining......

No problem, but we were simply making the square pegs fit into round holes on an extremely busy day, and this has surely to be respected and understood.

The woman you refer to, did not loudly demand why were you seated at a reserved table -

I have been told one version via Trip Advisor, and witnessed the other with my own eyes and ears.....and fortunately for my benefit I can replay the CCTV, and low and behold guess which one I believe!

The landlady of the Peacock is not whatever you felt she was, and would never even attempt to humiliate any customer of the Peacock - now humiliate me, that's a different option and I get humiliated everyday by the lady, but she pays me well, so I have to put up with it........

So just for clarification Stem....

If there are signs showing 'reserved for diners' - is it not polite to ask where one can be seated, as the word 'reserved' according to the English Dictionary means:

• kept specially for a particular purpose or person : a reserved seat/table

• arrange for (a room, seat, ticket, etc.) to be kept for the use of aparticular person and not given to anyone else : a place was reserved for her in the front row.

I don't need to get into an argument on this, but I witnessed what happened, and looking at it from the sidelines, I feel it was you who was stroppy, as you didn't want to be moved in that moment. That's fair, that's OK, but please don't come running to Trip Advisor giving some long fluted dictation of the word reserve to suit your meaning, your interpretation - did it say reserved for Stem.....No it didn't, and we simply follow the English Dictionary when we give instructions, not the rules according to Stem....

Reserved means just that - Reserved - until shown basically. Now's where's the harm in that.

There are plenty of places that can actually afford you a table each if required, even two, but we are the Peacock in Bakewell, and often tables aren't all that easy to come by, so just be patient and you never know what you will get for Christmas - can't give you a top 18 spot though!!!

In other words we don''t public humiliate any one - We'll leave that to Forest next season....

Up The Owls!

ps - thank you for the complimentary remarks on your meals, but surely you wouldn't expect anything less!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Myself and family have eaten here on several occasions. The food is always of a high standard, served hot and fresh and by friendly staff.
The ambience is good helped by the candles on the tables and the music from the jukebox.
If I was to have one gripe, it would be that people stood at the bar drinking can impact on you enjoying your meal as the bar is more or less on top of the tables for diners.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsHL55
thepeacockbakewell, Why do people hang around the bar, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

.....and you're always welcome Mrs H.

Apologies for the ones who hang around the bar, I'll do what I can to move them, as I'm not a lover of bar moles either!

Thanks all the same for the complimentary review.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

As Raja's was fully booked on Saturday night (reviewed separately) we went in here for a meal. It was how a pub should be: full of people, a lively jukebox and three well kept ales on the hand pumps - I particularly enjoyed the Peak Ale bitter.
Our meals were very good. I had a corn beef hash cake topped with a ducks egg and chunky chips. My 'other half' had the steak and ale pie ( the ale was served up in a small glass in case you don't like beer, which she does not) and vegetables. The food was of a good quality, good portions and well cooked. I find this serving things up on wooden boards a bit odd, but I understand that it is all the rage. The service was prompt. Not the cheapest place to eat in Bakewell, but worth the money

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnofhornchurch
thepeacockbakewell, it's all the rage and it was started, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

.....and likewise how a review should be!

Honest & Direct - and worth every penny.

Thanks to the John of Hornchurch - a suburban town in East London, and part of the London Borough of Havering, located 15.2 miles east-northeast of Charing Cross and is one of the locally important district centres identified in the London.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just called in The Peacock while in Bakewell for something to eat, and ordered Cod, Chips and Peas. They came served on a board red hot and enormous!! The batter was crisp the cod white and flaky and the chips crispy. They were absolutely delicious. They weren't the cheapest in town but they did stipulate the fish as Cod, were excellent and the portion size very large.

The staff were pleasant and helpful so the combination making a very enjoyable meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
thepeacockbakewell, the fish fryer, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Quality comes in at a price Kitty - and I'm sure it didn't bother you, but thanks for the positive review.