“read the reviews, its all there”

The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“read the reviews, its all there”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are looking for very good food this is the place for you. If you want a little bit of customer service dont bother. Had two meals in there last week brilliant food and great side show it is like faulty towers, listened to the landlady sat with two locals at the bar moaning about the customers, its brilliant if your not the one she's talking about

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank stevejw2014
thepeacockbakewell, what's it to be - stand like a stiff or have banter, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Interesting, although brief comments from Stevejw2014, as he comments on the fact the Peacock serves good food in fact goes so far as saying it's brilliant so much so he had two meals.....

If customer service is personality, and believe me not knowing who you are/were at the time of your visit, Vicky the land lady will probably have more personality in her little finger than you Steve, and if she was having a general banter with two local customers, and as you put it moaning - although again Vicky is not one to moan, it's not her style - she tells it how it is, and if someone was deserving of what ever the conversation, it would have been put across in that sense. - you know having a laugh!!!

I cannot think of one person who never had a good crack/banter with Vicky, and when she is on form it's better than watching Faulty Towers, and isn't that what it's supposed to be about.

Who wants to stand at a bar like a stiff - better with a side show and it seems it pricked up your ears anyway!

So this customer service you say don't bother with - I'm not sure I get your drift, as we all take the mickey out of someone in our lives at sometime - even you Steve must have at some time, and I repeat If you stand at a bar drinking, surely you want banter - not "fetch the gun"

Well I know I do.....and it's more than better than two people staring down at a phone!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Merseyside
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Ate at this fantastic pub last weekend. Pre booked our tables as there were 18 in our party.
The service was good, the food was fantastic. Despite the large number in our party the food was served without delay and altogether despite it being extremely busy due to the Bakewell Festival.
Lovely atmosphere, even better food......will definitely visit again.
Thanks You

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank D J
thepeacockbakewell, from one DJ to another, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I couldn't agree with you more DJ - need I go on?

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went to Bakewell for a day decided on the Peacock to go for late lunch inside was nice the bar lady was very curtious took our order of 2 X Peacock home made burgers with there own seasoning (one with blue cheese) we did wait 35 mins but this was ok as it said on the menu that food is cooked fresh and we expected to wait. When it arrived i have to say we both said wow this looks lovely only to be disappointed the burger was very very spicey i was hungry as had not eaten since early morning so therefore struggled but ate it in hinsight i should have sent it back seasoning to me is salt pepper and maybe herbs but not green chiili which i could see in the burger.It comes with a bucket of chips which you get lots but again not homemade they are the big homefries type. We paid £29 and we thought this a bit expensive for what we got when i asked the bar lady for a quiet word and explained that the burgers were far too spicey she said 'No one has ever said anything before about that' Thats not the point i was, she never gave any explination or indeed said i will tell chef to say 'its a first' is not the response i would have expected.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bev c
thepeacockbakewell, when a spice girl is in town it could be 'too much', at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Nice Spicy Burger - Beware of Pub - no that ain't right.....

We take on your comments Bev and thank you!

The Burgers are actually delicious, and as you rightly state are homemade by the chefs on the premises, but they are made how they like them, and if they were a little too spicy for you I can only say sorry!

The lady who dealt with your quiet word was right, apart from one tiny issue with her answer, we did once have a four year old - well in fact it was his mother who stated the same, but in all honesty I cannot recall ever any one else complaining about the spicyness as they are renowned for the taste and flavour!

With regard to the fries or chips - the potatoes at the moment aren't coming through very nice ie. they are not the usual quality of spud, so we have taken the homemade chunky chips off the menu until such times, hopefully within the next week or so, they are of the usual standard or quality. This can sometimes happen in the case of your common a garden crisps when the potato crop is not up to spec. but somehow it doesn't stop the crisp production coming through, so please understand it was an issue out of our control and should really have been mentioned at the time of ordering.

Regardless here's what Wikipedia have to say!

Seasoning is the process of adding salt, herbs, or spices to food to enhance the flavour.

General meaning - well according to Wikipedia.

Seasonings include herbs and spices, which are themselves frequently referred to as "seasonings". However, Larousse Gastronomique states that "to season and to flavour are not the same thing", insisting that seasoning includes a large or small amount of salt being added to a preparation. Salt may be used to draw out water, or to magnify a natural flavor of a food making it richer or more delicate, depending on the dish. This type of procedure is akin to curing. For instance, kosher salt (a coarser-grained salt) is rubbed into chicken, lamb, and beef to tenderize the meat and improve flavor. Other seasonings like black pepper and basil transfer some of their flavor to the food. A well designed dish may combine seasonings that complement each other.

In addition to the choice of herbs and seasoning, the timing of when flavors are added will affect the food that is being cooked.

In some cultures, meat may be seasoned by pouring sauce over the dish at the table. A variety of seasoning techniques exist in various cultures.

HEY, WHAT DO I KNOW?
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Popped in here for a quick bite to eat, its a really nice pub (proper pub no WiFi) lovely staff and nice selection of beers. The mains are enormous and really well cooked great ale pie full of meat beautifully cooked and really impressive crispy vegetables well done guys.

1 Thank joss1085
thepeacockbakewell, you must have a starter for 10, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
....no Joss you must have a starter - I need the money!!!

We do have wi-fi, it's just we would rather you talk to each other, as opposed to two people looking down at a phone as they sit together.

You know it makes sense!

Thanks for the tip, and great review.
Wakefield
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was a glorious summer Sunday evening and we were looking for somewhere to eat in Bakewell. Entirely reasonably - given it's Bakewell and it really was a gorgeous evening - everywhere was busy. The beer garden at the Peacock was thronged, but we found a table inside easily enough. We liked the look of the menu so we decided to order. We were warned we might be waiting 40 minutes so we decided to get a drink and a starter. There are far worse places to while away a wait for your food - subdued and tasteful decor, good beer and even a proper 1950s style jukebox. The starters were jolly nice too - garlic mushrooms and a generous side salad. 40 minutes stretched out to an hour and twenty, and we were just about to enquire what had happened when a very flustered looking lady appeared with our order, asking us if we had changed tables as she had been looking for us in the beer garden. We hadn't moved since we arrived and hadn't found any table number when we placed the order, but had been told this would be fine. I did mention the lengthy wait, even allowing for an unusually busy evening trade, and was told 'you were warned it would take an hour'. That seemed a bit grudging, but it was probably very warm in the kitchen! The food was great - no complaints at all and good to find pubs actually serving freshly prepared and home cooked food. I had grilled salmon and my other half had Homity pie (a filling little number that probably needed an accompaniment of salad rather than chips). Great stuff in terms of food, atmosphere and beer, but they were clearly under some pressure with the service that night.

1 Thank MiriamWakefield
thepeacockbakewell, Is Wakefield a town or a city, A City when. at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Now that's what I call a great in-depth review, so thank you for taking the time Miriam and from Wakefield.....!!!

Great Post - Thank You.
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Good food, kind staff and nice terrace. I definitely recommend the steak pie; but not the Bakewell tart unfortunately... The chocolate cake was much better. Seems big enough so there is always somewhere to sit, spacious inside and outside. A bit noisy, but ok for our baby, lots of space for the pushchair.

Excellent location, close to parking space and easy to walk to main attractions.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maria_dalcahue
thepeacockbakewell, Tart how dare you when in Bakewell or, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Marie - thanks for the post as you get it and that is good enough for me and all the nice, and kind staff at the Peacock.....

Bakewell Tart, (agghh, How dare I - PUDDING!!!) I must confess is not a personal favourite of mine also, burt when in Bakewell - yes when in Bakewell you can't really have have a spotted dick, now can you - or can you? I'll ask the locals!

The Etymology - explanations of what our words meant and how they sounded 600 or 2,000 years ago.

References to Bakewell pudding appear earlier than the term Bakewell tart, which only appears to have entered common usage in the 20th Century. In 1861, Mrs Beeton published a recipe for "Bakewell pudding" that used breadcrumbs instead of a pastry base.[3 Eliza Acton also makes reference to Bakewell pudding in her book, published in 1845.

The History - Yeah history, which I dedicate to Mr. Hinchcliffe, my old history teacher at Darton High, who for his sins was a Leeds fan, not a bad wicket-keeper and a damned good teacher! God Blless You, where ever you are.

The now obsolete breadcrumb-based recipe given by Mrs Beeton
The origins of the pudding are not clear; however, the generally accepted story is that it was first made by accident in 1820 (other sources claim the 1860s) by Mrs Greaves, who was the landlady of the White Horse Inn (now called the Rutland Arms Hotel). She supposedly left instructions for her cook to make a jam tart. The cook, instead of stirring the eggs and almond paste mixture into the pastry, spread it on top of the jam. When cooked, the egg and almond paste set similar to an egg custard, in texture, and the result was successful enough for it to become a popular dish at the Inn.

These dates are unlikely to be accurate as the White Horse Inn was demolished no later than 1804 to make way for the development of Rutland Square and subsequently the Rutland Arms Hotel.
Additionally, Eliza Acton provides a recipe for 'Bakewell pudding' in her book Modern Cookery for Private Families which was published in 1845, making the pudding's creation date of 1860 impossible.

Modern versions of Bakewell tarts are different, both in appearance, flavour and texture to Bakewell puddings. They are generally made by larger commercial bakeries, often with icing on top.

Not a lot of people know that .....
Sheffield
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Do I dare to write a review? Wondering what response I will get!

We stayed in room 4 and I have to say that the room was clean but the decor is tired and needs updating. The bathroom in particular needs refurbishment as promised in other responses. The shower head attachment broken - interesting to see that this has been reported previously - I do hope that it has been fixed since a review posted on 22nd July 2012. The sink also has a few hairline cracks and the enamel pitted - minor point. The entrance hall to the annex could also do with a bit of TLC - I'd suggest putting in a new built in wall storage area so that the linen in the cupboards and all the additional items on top of the current cupboards are hidden. It really didn't give us a first good impression.

I did politely mention the shower head problem on checking out again and didn't much appreciate the comment I got from the staff.

The breakfast was good.

I would say the room rate is average for the area but I just think that some care would make this place much better.

Room Tip: Annex rooms face on to beer garden so are noisy on warm days. Also face on to market place so expect...
6 Thank Trudi S
thepeacockbakewell, we're no average pub, and the breakfast is better than good, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
On first reading this post from Trudi S from Sheffield, I have to admit I had a little chuckle, and I actually thought she was writing about herself, but then I thought No, she 's just a little frustrated, as in the opening lines the lady asks 'Do I dare write a review'

Well girl, you have too really, you owe it to yourself as it appears you spend half your life just doing that, so to by-pass the Peacock would be a travesty - wouldn't it?

All in all the review is fairly honest from your perspective, and of course you are entitled to report your thoughts....but,

This Pub my love, without sounding too pompous, it's surrounding Barns/Stables (Converted of course) are coming up to 200 years old, as they were erected in 1820, and have the right to have a little respect for their history, the character of the day, and all we have done, for better or worse, is basically kept that feeling, the personality of the day, but in a clean way, so you don't lose that personality, and maybe even the ghosts of the past.

We don't intend to fully modernise the barns, the stables - we like to think customers prefer the old worldly look, and if that leaves a few tears or cracks - loosely speaking, that's fine because the main priority as we see fit is to maintain the rooms to a cleanliness you would expect!

Regarding one of your little quips, I'm afraid it's way off the mark, as the shower head attachment you brought up is not broken - it is actually a new shower, that sometimes has a mind of it's own - never having actually taken a shower in it though, it's just the feed back I get from time to time from customers who don't fully understand how to adjust a shower head.

I even had a look at it this morning and there is absolutely nothing a miss or wrong with the new shower, and if you had an issue or required any help you I feel should have bought it up at the time, as you give the wrong impression to all the readers out there!

But hey, I couldn't get in there with you could I, there would just not be enough room for the both of us.

Now Tender Lovin' Care, if that's what's missing in your life - oops Sorry guess I'll get into trouble for that one, but the entrance hall for all it's misdemeanours is open to the elements and when certain individuals leave the barn door open, and it doesn't matter how many times I tell 'em - do they listen?, I'm afraid not, so if you think I should give it the old TLC everyday with the wire brush and dettol and a pot of paint, I just don't have the energy Trudi, there are so many other things to take care of, one being, checking on the room you occupied was clean, which of course it was - wasn't it ???

Sorry about the bag of surprises left on top of the linen cupboard - but i've moved it now, and don't ever let any one horse whip you again for mentioning the shower - the guy is out on remand, and we have told him more than once, but to his defence he did cook your breakfast, which you informed the world was good - so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel .....

For a lady that gives only four stars in a review that described her visit to the Samuel Fox Country Inn at Bradwell as a gem of a find with superb food, superb service, excellent produce, then further went on to excessive delight to describe how nice the food was, but still found time complain how the coffee in the room should be fresh - I guess again we know where your priorities are.

I think for the Peacock, to get three stars should be considered a compliment really, as the breakfast which was considered good at the Peacock, I'd rather think outstanding, and I'll challenge you to find better in a B & B - But food is obviously the highlight of your hour, day, month and year I feel I should really be saying, shouldn't I Trudi.

You apparently came to reception on checking out, and complained about the chambermaid coming through the patio entrance doors while you were eating your breakfast, as she was arriving for work, I believe I'm with you on this Trudi, - how dare she interrupt when you having your first nutrition of the day.

Give me a break Trudi - the girl was simply coming to work entering the fold, how do you expect her to get into the building, parachute through the sky lights, and I believe you said this on checking out, as you mentioned you weren't one to complain!

Thanks for the Room Tip - most tourist places are a little noisy on sunny days, especially the ones with great, fantastic, smashing beer gardens - yes that too has plenty of character, and surprise, surprise the Peacock is in the centre of town on a street no less, that leads onto a No Entry sign, all of 10 yards away, so there is traffic, about one car every hour, but I don't think it constitutes or rivals the M25....

So there you have it - the response you were left wondering about, from probably not the best pub in Derbyshire, but it is in the top one, clean and with fabulous - sorry Good, (Trudi's chosen word) food, so I guess that ticked your boxes.