“Beautiful Bakewell” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 46 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Bakewell”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed at the Peacock in Bakewell and had a lovely time. Location is perfect right in the heart of the town - very close to the lovely river. Room was great - a family room that I booked as a twin so my mum and I had a double bed each with a nice bathroom in between. Had a very good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Couldn't fault room 1A
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Alison B
thepeacockbakewell, A room tip for families staying in Bakewell, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Alison B - we are Privileged & Humbled, but Thank You, and Glad you enjoyed the Experience of Beautiful Bakewell, and The Peacock.

Thanks for the Room Tip, which is ideal for Families staying a night or two - or three, four or even five!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Mornington Peninsula
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I booked a room at this hotel over the telephone and was advised it was a bank holiday that night so the tarriff was 120 pounds paid in advance. Well silly me went ahead and booked it, bad mistake !!!!!
When we arrived the hotel private car park was being used as a beer garden, covered in tables and chairs, AND the whole area around the pub was being used for the local market so was un available for parking untill 7pm , so we had to park across the river and gradually get our car (with luggage) a bit closer to the pub. So, again we asked the landlord about the parking and was told "that's our parking over there" meaning the car park opposite the pub,soup some very slippery , by this time it was almost dark and was raining so I parked there at the closest available spot.
The next morning I come out to see a traffic warden giving me a parking ticket (50 pounds) thanks very much Mrs Landlord for your wonderfull advise
Pretty expensive night (170 pounds ) for a 2nd rate hotel
The room we were allocated was outside the main hotel up some very steep and slippery outside concrette steps, the room was pretty basic but a reasonable size, certainly not luxury by any stretch of the imagination
Food was good but a bit on the expensive side for the area

Cleaning and maintenance was being carried out amongst the guests while having breakfast which we felt was pretty poor seeing breakfast was from 8:15am till 9:00am

Would I stay there again, I doubt it, once bitten twice shy

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
18 Thank wacazac
thepeacockbakewell, Pay that Fine, as I ain't no Traffic Warden, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Quite unbelievable really - the guy from Down Under comes on Trip Advisor and blames the Peacock because he got a parking ticket - nothing like passing the buck I guess.

The bad mistake wacazac was you, as you simply can't read or are plain stupid, as for one, no one sent you anywhere in the direction of the car park opposite the Peacock - why would we, as it was full of market stalls until 7pm, and as it was raining on Bank Holiday Monday - the tables in our car park had been neatly put away for the day. There were plenty of spaces available and 'over there' means over there in our car park

Why would it mean anything else to a normal intelligent person - it's called common sense dear chap!

The car park was never being used as a beer garden as remember it was raining - by your own testament, and as a result of the rain the steps were slippery, find me stone steps that aren't in the rain!

I guess when you receive a parking ticket, slam it on the desk on checking out in a very aggressive mode and demand 'what you gonna do about that' and we inform you unfortunately 'nothing as the car park clearly has 'Pay & Display' - in two foot high letters - surely you don't expect us to foot the bill for your misdemeanour - your stupidity.

You even lie about the fee as it was £35, not the £50 you state - and to call the Peacock second rate is the pot calling the kettle

The review that is subsequently posted is basically a criticism at the Peacock as a revenge act on return for the parking ticket you picked up.

Let's make this clear - Parking Ticket's are not our fault wacazac I will repeat not our fault, not our responsibility - Comprende.....

Then you have the cheek to say food was expensive for the area - What area, how dare you, as the Peak District, Bakewell and dare I say the Peacock are as good an area as you will find in the UK, but not coming from your area and never having seen it, I can't compare, but we are proud of our Area and our Pub!!!

With reference to cleaning and maintenance - I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong again, as the only cleaning (amazing we are even slated for cleaning - must be down to receiving a parking ticket I guess) so again the only cleaning being carried out was not in the vicinity of breakfast tables - it was in a totally separate area away from the dining area and Maintenance - give me a break, it was Bank Holiday Monday, and although I'm known for keeping everything up to spec - even I draw the line on Bank Holidays.

Funny really, as I doubt whether the cleaning, so called maintenance, the wet steps, etc. etc. would even have been brought up if you hadn't received a parking ticket, and dare I even say there would not even been a review if there had been no parking ticket....just a thought!

Basically in conclusion, your post is a sour grapes attack at the Peacock for the parking ticket you had the misfortune of picking up, and as a result we in return picked up a negative review - Ah well if that's the level of your intelligence, so be it, - so would we want your type back at £119 per night - I very much doubt it.

And the next time you pick up a parking ticket staying over night at a hotel - Did I mention that fact, well the next time don't come into the hotel ranting and raving that you've got a parking ticket, and what are we gonna do about it.

Now Pay that Fine!
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed in this bed and breakfast on business late July and can say this is one of the most welcoming and comfortable stays I have ever experienced. The food is incredible (especially the steak pie) and as for the staff, I wish I could find more like these! Also the bed was like a cloud, the air-con was a dream and there couldn't have been more choice for breakfast, which was also delicious. My compliments to all the staff there, it was an absolute pleasure. I look forward to booking again next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank sam s
thepeacockbakewell, Where can I find a Great Pub in Bakewell, well in the Top One, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Sam - Thank you for the lovely comments as we fed and watered you well, and as an added bonus kept you cool in the still of the heated night - it was hot for a period back in July, so your comments are well appreciated!

All, at the Peacock in Bakewell - although not the Best Pub in Derbyshire, we are in the Top One.

Cheers.
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived on a wet evening and had booked a one night stay and group dinner.
I could not get the shower to work so re-dressed and went to the bar for help. A man subsequently came to the room and fixed it. He spoke not a word. We thought that was slightly eccentric but attached no great significance to it.
We then went for drinks and dinner. We asked to open a tab but the waitress said that was not allowed. We pointed out that we were staying there and would settle at the end of the evening.
She directed us to a lady at the bar and we again explained how much easier it would be if we could have a single bill for the group rather than multiple individual payments for each drink. We reiterated that we were staying there, had paid a substantial deposit and that they had our credit card details (hence we were unlikely to abscond in the night). She declined. When we pointed out that this was a bit strange she told us that we could always leave if we didn't like it.
It dawned on us, belatedly, that this was a place where even mild perceived criticism is not tolerated. We felt very uncomfortable and most of the group went elsewhere for a post dinner drink.
The room was fairly basic, but no worse than one would expect at that price level, and the food was good.
The next morning we had breakfast (served by the mute shower repairer- clearly a man for all seasons) and left. At lunchtime we compared our experiences (some of which were surreal) and one of the group read out the reviews on trip advisor, or rather the manager's replies. Initially we were amused but as they became more deranged the humour evaporated and we were quite relieved that we only met the other staff.
The question is, or should be: "why does a beautiful pub with rooms serving good food in the centre of a pleasant little town get twenty odd terrible reviews, mostly relating to rudeness and poor customer service?". Why indeed.
It is hard to give one star (the only other hotel I have similarly rated was in rural Tibet) as most of us appreciate that the hotel and restaurant business is difficult. However, this place is a travesty of hospitality and I would be doing potential guests a disservice by pretending otherwise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
40 Thank davidgriffiths
thepeacockbakewell, always check Trip Advisor first, but don't forget the Times second, if you want a true account, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
So you come on Trip Advisor davidgriffiths and condemn us because you don't know how to turn a shower on and you can't run a tab, and for that reason we are awarded one star....

....you even go further and inform other potential guests to stay somewhere else - this in the electronic age is your prerogative and I guess your privilidge, but then is it???

The shower issue is, and you may not think as I do, but so simple it's ridiculous - as all you have to do is turn it on and with all the respect in the world, if I was about to get in the shower - an electric shower and it didn't come on I would take a deep breath ask my self why and assume it wasn't turned on - this to me is a simple analysis, unfortunately for davidgriffiths he couldn't quite work that one out - hence he had to get dressed and ask....

No problem in asking, we are here to assist, but sometimes in life you have to help yourself once in a while and notice the obvious - this davidgriffiths was your moment, your time!

Tabs - we don't do tabs davidgriffiths, we apologise if it's not the way you like it, but that's the way it is, as and on this one I don't expect you to fully understand, but we are immensely busy during certain periods and the Tab gets in the way, causes confusion - we are not a restaurant as such, but a high profile pub that dishes up fantastic food & drink and for us it is far easier and much simpler if you pay as you go.

It has also dawned on me after reading the review posted, in much the same way that you feel the mildest of perceived criticism is not tolerated - you also don't like the mildest of change, nothing wrong there I suppose, but to complain after you had had a nice roof over your head, fed and watered to your delight ask the question "why does a beautiful pub with rooms serving good food in the centre of a pleasant little town get twenty odd terrible reviews, mostly relating to rudeness and poor customer service?"

I'll tell you why davidgriffiths - because the Peacock in the thousands and thousands and thousands of customers and THOUSANDS more, yes davidgriffiths I think if we have received 20 terrible reviews that is because there are twenty, and this includes yourself twenty, moaning individuals are just that individuals who vent some sort of anger over the most minimalistic issues such as we can't have a tab - or why weren't we brought a menu, maybe, we had to stand at the bar and we were being ignored - no you weren't the bar was full, the table wasn't ready and we had booked etc.

Or maybe you just wanted me to talk to you while you took a shower......

The Peacock is the most versatile of any pub I have ever visited, either in a working capacity or for leisure because: it sings - it dances - it spins plates - lights fires - it puts out fires - even turns on showers, it welcomes the high rollers and it welcomes, well not specifically low rollers (but you get the drift) children from 1 month old to your grandma at 90 years old and it compromises, it initiates, and it does everything else in between.....

If we don't suit every single individual on this planet - we apologise, but we have to take that, and move on. And we do move on as the bullets fire past, but we are not a travesty of hospitality - unless you are davidgriffiths, we have guts, we have endeavour we have to put up with the most unappreciative minority of people that walk the streets of this lovely town, and if you got a frown - you deserved that frown - hey I'm in the wrong profession, maybe I should have been a poet......

The one star you give is ludricous, not because you can't have an opinion, because we have an opinion and you don't like it!!!

....and all because you could't flick a switch to turn the shower on, or even have a tab - is that mild perceived criticism, no it's a fact!!!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

we called in on a very wet bank holiday Monday, gorgeous food. We both chose from main menu, I had Chilli, very nice presentation, not boring mince but proper chunky beef chilli. Hubby had the steak pie, excellent presentation and packed full of meat. We will be back!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita245
thepeacockbakewell, When it's raining you're still assured Fab Food, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Fab review Anita where you enjoyed the hospitality of the Peacock on a wet Bank Holiday Monday, but we were glad to have you, and hopefully we'll see you next time, on hopefully a more pleasant day!

Thank You, and take no notice of the chap above, as he needs to go back to Timbuktoo - oops sorry Tibet, because he ain't doing anybody a favour......but carry on reading - Trip Advisor.
leigh uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My fiance and i called in here for something to eat on a busy bank holiday sunday.
Drinks were fairly priced .The menu looked good but a little on the expensive side at first glance BUT. As we sat in the beer garden choosing we noticed the size and quality of the meals as they were brought out for other customers.
I decided on the steak and ale pie and fiance had the turkey roast dinner .WOW! absolutely gorgeous ,well presented and very very tasty.
It was noted as we waited for our food that all plates were empty when cleared from other tables which is always a good sign .
So even though it seemed at first a bit more expensive it was in fact very very good value for money and we will certainly be back when next in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bexndale
thepeacockbakewell, Is it Becky & Dale, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Well we'd just like to say we too are glad you popped into the Peacock - and yes it was a very busy Bank Holiday Sunday, but you saw through all the paraphernalia, and enjoyed the Peacock for what it is and what it does well......

Thanks bexndale - is that Becky and Dale, because if it is, you've got taste and you've got style!

Cheers!!!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Crap. Food over priced, portions too big. Saturday night staff had no control over the guests outside so led in bed listening to what sounded like a cat fight taking place. Took two attempts at getting the heating on in the room. Will not be back

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
29 Thank kitchic01
thepeacockbakewell, Take a Break, Take a Kit Kat, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
You come to Trip Advisor kit chic - well let's put the this point straight from the off - I certainly wouldn't consider you a kit chick by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I would go as far to say your opinion of yourself is crap.......

Where was I. Oh yes, you come to Trip Advisor and start of with crap - sums your intelligence level off from the off, and state the food is over priced and the portions were too big. We may be over priced on your scale of one to ten, but you are probably not used to dining in nice establishments, so I'll take no notice of that comment, and saying the portions were too big, I'll ignore that comment also.

Now to the serious part - Your visit was on a Bank Holiday Saturday, and when it is past midnight and everybody is in bed and this includes myself, if a couple of girls decide to shout and ball in the town centre for want of a better expression, - Bank Holiday remember, and I am not the local enforcement officer or Bobby on the Beat - how the hell can I be considered responsible for a couple of peoples actions - they were not guests at the Peacock, they were more than likely a couple of local idiots who happened to be walking past the Best Pub in Town, and it's as simple as that, so your comments are, shall we use your favourite analysis on this - Crap!.

The heater just required turning on, as it is an electric heater and electric heaters unfortunately don't function unless they are turned on - much like a TV, where you have to flick a switch - simple really!

That simple, a three year old wouldn't require two attempts to switch on!

Oh, and lets close on the good news that you will not be back - That's as good a news as I've heard all day, and I thank you for that promise.....

Over priced and portions too Big, who you trying to kid, kit chic - are you having a laugh?