“Fabulous”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bakewell
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

It was such a pleasure to stay in such beautiful place which clearly has been lovingly restored with a great mix of classic and contemporary decor and furnishings. These self catering holiday apartments were so much more than we expected. The location is great, just a short walk from Bakewell town centre which itself is full of charm. The room was spotless and had all the facilities for self catering. The staff were really friendly and we were greeted in the car park and shown to our room. This personal touch is not found very often and made our stay here all the more special. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reg355

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

£95 a night for a run down shack like this. No signage in the street to the hotel, then a completely empty car park was the tell tale sign we were the only customers. A piece of paper stuck on the door with a 'phone number to call to check in. We then went down some slippery worn steps wondering where to go, we went all round the building which is nothing like the picture on booking.com and no reception area and no welcoming doors or brightly lit rooms to look into. All in darkness, then a man comes running up to us to ask if we were looking to check in.

The room we entered was very dark and shabby, seen better days, no reception, no fire, no lights, just a few manly sofas and first impression this was a flashback to The Adam's Family! I was just waiting for Morticia to come through the door anytime!

When we told the guy who eventually found us that we wanted a drink and a meal, we were told that they did not do this, when we wanted to cancel the room he called his boss and handed us his mobile, she told us that the money had gone through on our card and any problems call Booking.com.

The description of this hotel online surely should be made clear to the trades and description act as it is described as luxury hotel and it is definitely not a hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Chris3657
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
There are a number of factual inaccuracies in this review that we would like to put straight. We never describe Bagshaw Hall as a hotel, we describe it as holiday suites and apartments. There are plenty of signs on the road to the building, so we are unsure where they are coming from in that respect. Nobody could seriously describe this 300 year old, listed hall as “a shack”.
It seems this is a malicious attempt to damage our credibility with numerous lies and falsehoods. To top it off they never even stayed with us!
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We booked this on short notice only 2 hours before we arrived
We arranged to met the women in the carpark to show us to our room and she was really friendly and nice.
In an excellent location just short walk to Bakewell town centre, although the walk was a bit steep on the way back
Our room was decorated, well equipped with kitchenette and very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was nice and modern
The tea/coffee basket was well stocked. We made use of the fridge and the toaster after visiting the shops and it made a change to be able to make our own toast for breakfast

The bed was very large, really comfortable and lovely quality bedding

Bagshaw Hall is not a hotel - more of a guest house with self-catering rooms with no breakfasts, room service or hotel service. They have no restaurant facilities or a bar
We paid Hotel prices £105 for 1 night, I would have expected a hotel with breakfast and dining facilities for that price.
We could not find anyone when for check out so9 just left the key in the room

However saying this we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Riachsion
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This probably would have been a great review, if I hadn't felt that the owners' hearts weren't really in customer care. Hey, I don't blame them. If I lived in a fantastic place like that, I probably wouldn't be all that keen to share it.
We stayed here for one night, having been invited to a friend's birthday dinner at the Peacock at Rowsley. The event had been arranged at quite short notice and coincided with a big country fair in the area, meaning that accommodation had been very difficult to find. Bagshaw Hall had been by twelfth or thirteenth call and the first to have anything at all available - I was delighted and snapped it up.

The problem was, it felt a bit as if the convenience of the owners, not that of the guests is paramount. There's the odd check-in time for a start - you need to arrive by 2pm or 6pm. We'd originally planned to arrive by 2pm but when things changed, I emailed to let them know we would be aiming for 6pm. They obviously hadn't read their emails because we got a phone call during the journey, asking where we were and when we would be arriving.

Since the owner had called and being in a bit of a panic about making the birthday party on time, I asked if he would be kind enough to book a taxi for us. He wouldn't do that but said that there was a list of local taxi firms in our apartment. That made a rushed 15 minute change of clothes even more anxious, as we worked our way through the list trying to find a driver who didn't tell us that "If you'd called half an hour ago I could have managed it!" Breakfast isn't included. They can provide it but you need to give them 36 hours notice. I'd need 36 hours notice before I cooked breakfast for anyone, too...but I am extremely unlikely to go into the hospitality industry!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Megsmate
Cemaes Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We had a fabulous stay in the Sleep Lodge. The hosts were friendly and most helpfull. The rooms were confortable and the price was exceptionally good.
However, having seen the luxury of the apartments in the Hall itself, I became green with envy. They were fabulous.
The only down side, as I could see (and a very minor moan indeed) is that all the apartments in the Hall had double beds. Had they got twin rooms, I would have paid the extra to stay in them.
Highly recommended. You cannot go wrong!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terry W
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I was a little surprised when I arrived at Bagshaw Hall, as from the pictures I was expecting a stately home type place, big with grounds and a long driveway etc.
It is actually more like a big house and it is tucked away in between other houses on a steep hill with a very small lawn at the front. The building is very pretty.
The check in procedure is a little odd, you are emailed on confirmation of booking telling you to ring when you get there and then a man appears and takes you to the room. There is no reception as such, just a room with a couple of sofas downstairs and upstairs a desk which looks like the owners use it as an office which doubles as the 'tourist information' area.
If you were feeling uncharitable you could say that the place has seen better days but I am feeling kind today so I will describe the place as 'shabby chic'. It has obviously been a rather grand property in the past. The walls are adorned with artwork which is for sale and to be honest looks out of place as it is so far removed from the style of the building. This is not a hotel as such as there is no reception, no restaurant and as far as I could tell, there are no staff. It is also not quite rental apartments as the rooms are essentially bedrooms with an en suite bathroom and a kitchen sink in one corner. The bathroom was very nice and has clearly been recently refurbished. The rest of the building is ready for the same treatment but it was clean and tidy and for £150 a night I think it was fine. If I were in the area again I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee J
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

All I can say is - WOW.. we stayed in the sleep lodge and it was absolutely amazing. Fresh stylish decor and very clean. Kitchen was modern and equipped with utensils, cooker, microwave, toaster and kettle. Stylish Sofa/bed and a good size TV and also a modern dining table.. Bathroom was clean and modern with plenty of fresh towels, only downside was that the toilet was a 'floating' one and was a little to high up for me (im am only 5''2 though). Bedroom was a big size with a dressing table and a very comfortable bed. Very quiet at night time too. I would Highly recommend this place and would not hesitate in coming back!! I do feel it is pricey but then given the destination I expect thats why.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Bagshaw Hall? Share your experiences!