All reviews the penthouse mirabeau suite garden suite self catering on arrival car park docking station kitchen area mini kitchen beautiful building old building peak district communal lounge small kitchenette low ceilings steep hill walk into town
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Penthouse suite for two nights for a romantic anniversary get away.
We specifically wanted to stay somewhere special and a room with a bath as we planned on making the most of the amazing walks in the Peak District.
The building is beautiful. Maybe not quite what I had in mind as I expected a sweeping drive set in acres of land. That said the location is amazing, literally under 5 mins walk to the heart of the town.
The service we received was great 5/5. Since the room wasn’t used the night before we were allowed to check in early which we really appreciated.
The penthouse suite was ok. The bath in the room is lovely but we really felt the room was a bit crowded. There is a small dining table and 2 chairs and a coffee table and two seats. You could easily take one of those away without impacting the room. The bed was rather uncomfortable and combined with the linen, it was not quite premium enough given that it’s he penthouse suite. Oh and the docking station would be a nice touch but compatible technology has moved on so we couldn’t use it with our devices.
I also personally really hated the walnut effect wardrobe and kitchenette area. It was very overbearing.
That said, the location is terrific. The service was lovely and the views from the room are simply spectacular.
Really think that given £150 a night is probably the most expensive hotel we’ve had in the UK breakfast should be included in the price.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you for the 4-star review ilott, it is appreciated.
It seems our interior design features in our amazing Penthouse Suite at the very top of Bagshaw Hall are not to your taste.
I work on the design of hotels and have done for the last 40 years through my interior design practice, Oulsnam Design Ltd and find it is always difficult to please every guest who visits a hotel.
At Bagshaw Hall, we made a conscious decision to design every suite differently to provide individuality for our guests.
The Penthouse has red walls, modern leather super-king-size bed, two Italian bucket chairs with a walnut clad round champagne/ coffee table all looking towards the large double-ended bath in the bedroom sat under one of the windows with amazing views of the town.
Other suites are more traditional in the interior approach and three of the suites are in a French style (Chateau, Mirabeau and Volare), all with ornate carved painted wood French furniture, original marble fireplaces and panelled shutters at the tall windows.
These can all be seen on our website https://www.bagshawhall.com under “View Accommodation” for guests to choose the style they might like.
Our suites are by no means standard in design but are certainly inspirational and individual.

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Booked months in advance through their own website. Turn up to be told they can't find my booking. Stand around for about 20 minutes trying to locate my booking even while I'm showing them the conformation on their website. Still can't find it so they decide to put me in the room I'd payed for, in full, after being told "it isn't ready".

Finally get to the room to be shown around, of which our tour was "here's your kitchen, there's the bedroom, here's an information pack". Shows us the rest of the hotel and then finally they found our booking. No apology, not even an apology that the room wasn't ready, just a "they've found your booking and it has all been paid for" well I knew that!!

After all this the room was a disappointment. 19 channels on the T.V. and some of these are +1s, which makes no sense to me considering I'd paid just under £700 for this room. The bath plug was broken and draining the bath even after a shower was a nightmare. It was advertised on their website that our room came with a DVD and IPOD dock but neither were anywhere to be found. Finally the dishwasher was broken and full of dirty plates from whoever stayed there last. We used it and didn't think to turn the water off and the next day came back to find it had leaked across the floor. It stunk out the whole room after we first put it on from the dirty cutlery left in there and some where still stained so we left them there.

Not worth it and I wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emily552
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Emily stayed in the Manners Apartment in Bagshaw Hall which is on two levels and has a lounge and open plan full kitchen on the lower level and a double bedroom with a large bathroom en-suite with a full-size bath and a power shower with massive round shower head over the bath on the upper floor.
We think our check-in procedure works very well, as we help our guests with their bags direct from the car to their chosen suite/apartment. We also show them around the historic hall and explain the short-cut to walk into the town. Our information pack provides details of the range of pubs and restaurants in the town along with our recommendations. It also includes a detailed map of the town, which lists Bagshaw Hall amongst the many features of the market town of Bakewell.
I’m not sure what Emily expects when she normally checks into a hotel, the usual approach is you go to the reception, queue up, check-in, collect your key, and are told which floor your room is on and where the lifts are. We provide much more individual guidance to our guests on a personal basis, and as can be seen from other more accurate reviews our staff pride themselves on the friendliness towards our guests, ie nothing is too much trouble.
I would have thought 19 channels on a TV are more than enough plus a DVD player when considering you are staying in the beautiful town of Bakewell close to Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and all of the attractions in the Peak Park, why would you want to sit inside watching TV anyway?!
No mention was made during Emily’s stay of issues with the bath plug, DVD player iPod dock or the dishwasher, which we would have resolved if it actually was a problem.
We are disappointed that Emily will not return, but we hope she returns to the Peak District to enjoy the countryside and take up walking around the numerous dales available, Monsal Dale, Lathkill Dale, Dove Dale, etc, which are all within easy reach of Bakewell.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

We stayed 3 nights at Bagshaw Hall and loved the situation in Bakewell (very central for walking into the town for restaurants) but also very quiet. This is a very old building (17th century) and has lots of interesting features - inevitably the age means there are very thick walls (affecting the wifi signal) and some steep stairs so elderly or less fit visitors should book on the phone to discuss the accessibility of the various suites. I stayed in the Garden Suite and it suited me very well - comfy bed with good quality linen, small shower room and all very clean - well done Linda and co! Serviced daily with fresh towels, tea/coffee tray. The Garden suite is below ground level accessed by some stone steps from the front garden and felt very secluded. Low doorway to get in (duck or grouse, and I'm only 5'4) The window has views of the trees - for a lovely view over Bakewell, just take your tea out to the table on the terrace. I imagine that suites on the main level will have higher ceilings and doorways so book one of those if you prefer. Bagshaw Hall was the perfect base for our visit to Chatsworth House and Flower Show - about 10 minutes' drive, even on show days. We ate at Piedaniels, Fischers at Baslow and Rajas Indian Restaurant - all very good in their own way. I would certainly stay here again but if travelling as a couple I would book a suite with a larger bathroom. This is not a hotel so let them know your time of arrival and Linda will no doubt be there to give you a warm welcome and show you to your room as she did for us.

Room Tip: Phone to discuss your requirements - access, size of bathroom etc.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Thankyou for your support of our hard work at Bagshaw Hall to make our guests comfortable and at ease. Linda will particularly appreciate your kind comments.
As you have suggested, we would always advise people to contact us by phone so that we can establish the best suite in Bagshaw Hall to suit their needs, as with the nature of the 350-year-old historic building we have a wide range of opportunities.
We look forward to seeing you again Trish.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

Wonderful hotel in the middle of Bakewell but far enough away from the centre to be peaceful. Fantastic old building originally belonging to a local solicitor. We had the Penthouse Suite which was luxuriously fitted out with a great view over Bakewell and the surrounding hills. We walked to Chatsworth about 3 miles to visit the house. It is a lovely walk.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul H
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

I like your title Paul and I need not say any more, other than it is nice to be appreciated and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in the Penthouse.
We look forward to seeing you again Paul.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

This place has it all, 10 out of 10 for everything.
We where greeted by Linda who was welcoming and lovely. Shown to our amazing room and she also told us the quickest way to get in to the town.
The room it’s self has to be the cleanest room we have ever stayed in. Not a spec of dust anywhere and every thing you will ever need for a great stay is in the room.
We stayed in the Bagshaw suite and it really does have the wow factor.
The bed in the room was like sleeping on a cloud and I had the best nights sleep I have had in years.
The town is a few minutes away but far enough away that you don’t get any noise and the view from the garden is lovely.
The staff clearly work very hard as the whole place is spotless and kept to a very high standard and even when clearly very busy they where all very friendly and welcoming.
I can not wait to come back to bagshaw hall.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Oulsnam, Owner at Bagshaw Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

What a wonderful heading! And particularly coming from your trip from Alabama.
Linda prides herself on the cleanliness of our suites. Her favourite job is re-arranging the scatter cushions on the bed until perfect!
The hard work of our staff is obviously working and your appreciation makes it worthwhile.
We shall hopefully see you again.