“Great Lunch”

Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Sheffield UK
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and decided to spend a day in the country with our baby, we chose the Peacock for lunch based on Trip Advisor reviews, were glad we did.
I had a ham sandwich, my wife tuna and we shared a portion of chips, the sandwiches were lovely and came on fresh bloomer bread with a nicely dressed side salad.
I was very pleasantly suprised with the standard of food, not paticularly cheap at £6.95 for a sandwich with a side salad and a tiny portion of crisps.
I would recommend, good fresh food.. worth a visit.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank johnandwendyt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
“Top quality (please update the website menu though)”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I visited today with my wife.

People have come on here making a number of observations about the price of the food.
Some facts:
Is the price more than typical pub grub - YES
Is the food better than typical pub grub - YES (by a country mile)
Would I eat here again - YES (tomorrow if I wasn't working)

For all of the above reasons I have given the maximum score which is fully justified.

BUT.................
There is no excuse for not having an up to date menu on your website - it is a 2 minute job.
A cynic might say you advertise typical pub grub prices on your website which gets people through the door????
Put that last 'tick in the box' and there is no reason for anyone to complain.

peacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
I'd have to agree....top quality......and top quality is always, always worth that little extra, after all we are only talking an extra pound or two.....

I realise some people watch the pennies & pounds, but when I eat out, it has to be about quality and to a certain extent quantity.....both are in abundance we feel at the Peacock, so don't hold onto your purse strings too tight, come out to Bakewell, call at the Peacock and see what all the fuss is about....it is Good!!!

......and the new revised web site is on it's way!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food - but not value for money”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We had downloaded their menus from the internet and were satisfied with the selection and prices. However, upon arriving for a family reunion, the prices prices had risen by around 25% and the desserts were up by a third! I also thought that £9 for 2 teas and 2 coffees was a bit steep. If you go to the trouble of publicing yourself online, you should at least make sure that you give up to date information. Definitely will not return.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank John R
peacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Part of the enjoyment when going out with family or friends, is the whole occasion, ie. the venue, the meal, having a few beers, or even tea or coffee and obviously the company you court. If those boxes are ticked, and one of the boxes you tick when visiting the Peacock is the Good Food Box, then I wouldn't let the menu not being updated upset me, In fact if on arrival I found the menu to be more adventurous and a nicer choice, then went on to enjoy the meal I had been served, I wouldn't even dream of complaining about the increase of the prices charged.

We at the Peacock are currently updating the web site and I can only apologise if when you arrive, find the menu that is on show, has improved from the one shown on the web, and is a little more expensive. One of the reasons for this, is that we now use far superior produce and have fully qualified chef's as opposed to when the menu was originally printed over three years ago.....is this a crime???

If we upset you Mr. John R. by charging you £9 for two teas & two coffee's, when you had no doubt thoroughly enjoyed your meal, you had in fact informed me of this when I asked the question, 'Have you enjoyed your meal', then I'm sorry, you stay away from the Peacock, and keep the promise made to us in your review, 'you will not be returning!!!!'

The Peacock has moved forward leaps & bounds these last few years, down to the fact we employ excellent professional chef's and using locally sourced high quality produce.

I would never ever let a couple of quid spoil my enjoyment of a meal I had eaten that was GOOD! Read many of our other reviews......many say VERY GOOD!
Birmingham
“Good Food and beer”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Beer choice was good and food was also very good. We each chose steak & ale pie, shortcrust pastry, delicious!

Visited February 2012
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Cosy pub”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The food was great here and had a lovely cosy atmosphere

Visited December 2011