“Great Place”

Ranked #10 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Great Place”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I used to work in Bakewell, many moons ago. For some reason I have never thought about visiting the Peacock. I have to say how surprised I was at the excellent quality of the food on offer. The service was excellent. Many thanks.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Andrew B
thepeacockbakewell, there are many surprises, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Maybe Andrew076 left it late to find out what a Great Place the Peacock in Bakewell is, but now he knows it won't be long iI feel before he finds us again - especially as he was a Bakewell Lad....

Many Thanks for the nice review - and for finally trying us out!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, warm welcome”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Called here last weekend for lunch. Very large menu, something to suit everyone. The premises were very clean and had an olde world charm. The menu prices Were very acceptable. The service was swift and friendly. I eat out on average around 4 lunchtimes per week, my choices of food are many and varied. Whenever in the future I find myself within 15 miles of bakewell at lunchtime this is the venue I will undoubtedly choose for lunch. Very satisfied and eager to return.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kemkill
Cambridge
“8 happy customers”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Eight of us booked for Sunday lunch and all of us thought it was very good in every respect. The roasts were good and the steak & ale pie got a huge thumbs up.

2 Thank Phillip M
thepeacockbakewell, it's thumbs up, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
....and just as many workers who take all compliments with a a gratitude you'd expect and respect Phillip - thank your seven other compatriots who enjoyed our food and hospitality!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“not a warm welcome”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

we went in for a drink after a long walk, not sure if we were having our evening meal at the same time, very abrupt and rude staff, only give you a table if eating, We said we would be eating, and was given a table, during the time looking at the menu having our drink other customers arriving had the same welcome, the food did look nice but we decided to go next door to a more welcome feel, would not return

Visited May 2014
4 Thank clarky395
thepeacockbakewell, when you're not sure whether you are or aren't, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
There are some strange people out there, and the stranger ones go for a drink and aren't sure if they are having an evening meal at the same time....

Please don't chastise us clarky, and say we are abrupt and rude if we ask a simple question 'are you dining?' - the staff here are not rude in any shape or form. the girls wouldn't even know how to be rude and the ladies are as polite as any one anywhere....

You may not be able to handle the simple confrontation of the question asked, and felt it was out of your comfort zone - I understand that, but the other customers were more than likely being asked the same question but they didn't feel the need to go elsewhere, did they?

My response may be abrupt, because for the life in me, I can't work out why someone would come on a web site as Trip Advisor and post the type of review you have done - you must lead a sad life, but then again you don't know, or aren't sure if you are having a drink and a meal at the same time....

....now try rubbing your belly and patting your head - at the same time!
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Absolutely great food”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Went here during the bank holiday weekend and found the food to be fantastic, the pricing was great and the portion size and quality of the food was brilliant. The staff were friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was lovely. All in all could not fault the place in any way.

2 Thank Wayne C
thepeacockbakewell, Is this from a blockhead, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Does anymore have to be said when Wayne from Billericay gives a verdict - well maybe a poem from Mr. Dury wouldn't go a miss

BILLERICAY DICKIE.....
good evening i'm from essex
in case you couldn't tell
my given name is Dickie, I come from Billericay
and I'm doing very well

had a love affair with Nina
in the back of my Cortina
a seasoned up hyena could not have been more obscener
she took me to the cleaners
and other misdemeanours
but I got right up between her
rum and her Ribena

well, you ask Joyce and Vicki
if candy-floss is sticky
I'm not a blinking thicky
and i'm doing very well

I bought a lot of brandy
when I was courting Sandy
took eight to make her randy
and all I had was shandy
another thing with Sandy
what often came in handy
was passing her a 'Mandy'
she didn't half go bandy

so you ask Joyce and Vicki
if I ever took the mickey
I'm not a flipping thicky
I'm billeicay dickie

I'd rondez-vouez with Janet
quite near the Isle of Thanet
she looked more like a gannet
she wasn't half a prannet
her mother tried to ban it
her father helped me plan it
and when I captured Janet she bruised her pomegranet

so you ask Joyce and Vicki
if i ever shaped up tricky
I'm not a blooming thicky
and I'm doing very well

you should never hold a candle if you don't know where it's been
the jackpot is in the handle on a normal fruit machine

who's their brickie
I'm not a common thicky
and I'm doing very well

I know a lovely old toe-rag obliging and noblesse
kindly, charming shag from Shoeburyness

my given name is Dickie
I come from Billericay
I thought you'd never guess

so you ask Joyce and Vicki
a pair of squeaky chickies
I'm not a flaming thicky I'm Billericay Dickie
and I'm doing very well

oh golly, oh gosh come and lie on the couch
with a nice bit of posh from Burnham-on-Crouch

my given name is Dickie, I come from Billericay
and I ain't a sloutch

about Billericay Dickie
I ain't an effin' thicky
you ask Joyce and Vicki
and I'm doing very well

Thanks for the post Wayne.