“Delicious!”

Ranked #9 of 86 Restaurants in Bakewell
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Peacocok is a 200 year old, and very typical English pub set in the Centre of Bakewell Town. We offer accommodation varying from lovely traditional type rooms in the old stables fully converted with en-suite bathrooms (showers only) inc full English breakfast if booked direct with the Peacock as opposed to third party web sites - Book direct with the Peacock to achieve a better deal. The Pub has a very varied menu that is all prepared and cooked on the premises by very skilled competant chefs with many fantastic specials.
Iwerne Minster, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Came here for our last night of our holiday to the Peak District. We were not disappointed! Warm and welcoming atmosphere and a great jukebox. Service was great and food was simply amazing. Steak and ale pie (served with a minature pint!!!) which was crammed full of good quality melt in the mouth steak with rich gravy. New potatoes were the best I've ever had - seasoned perfectly, as were the veg. Partner's meal was equally as good, lamb cutlets which were presented beautifully and tasted great. Only con was that his chunky chips were more like oven chips and tasted like they had been sat around for a while but we were so full it didn't matter! The salad was unusual and dressing tasty. Wish we lived closer!!

3 Thank Amboar
thepeacockbakewell, Who makes the best homemade chunky chips - I'm told some chef at The Peacock, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Lovely honest review Amboar and we thank you for that.....

You chose well off our extensive menu, and I must stress the home made chunky chips are just that homemade, but sometimes the chef puts a different slant on the flavouring, so I would like to assume maybe that was the twist in the tale,- but I assure you they are exactly that - homemade, and I love 'em......

We too wished you lived closer as Dorset is a long way off to just pop into, for allegedly the best food in Bakewell!! - nay Derbyshire, even England, don't forget Europe, and of course the World....

Well maybe not the Best - but certainly in the Top One!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barnsley
“The food is excellent'”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have eaten here four times now and each meal has been excellent! Everyone is friendly and helpful and the food - although a little much for my taste - is second to none!!

4 Thank Maureen O
thepeacockbakewell, When a Tyke from Barnsley tells it straight, may I suggest you listen, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 6 June 2015
....as good as it get's Maureen - and coming from Barnsley, yes my home town, your comments are well appreciated, so Thanks.....

Second to None - regardless of where you sit!!!
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Food”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Would like to start off this review by saying that the food was amazing. I visited one Monday mid-afternoon with my boyfriend for a late lunch, I had scampi while he chose the chilli. Presentation of both dishes was stunning, the chilli in a large tortilla and the scampi served on a dish with the salad, peas and chips all served in individual pots, it tasted just as incredible as it looked and there were no complaints from either of us regarding the food. The salad in both dishes was fresh, both main dishes full of flavour and piping hot. Didn't like the sauces in the squeezy pots you buy from supermarkets but that's just personal preference. The girls that served us our food were delightful and really polite.
However, the attitude of other members of staff seemed the let the experience down; while we waited for our food a gentleman was stood at the bar waiting for an order to be taken for a good few minutes before he was served despite a number of waitresses walking past the bar. A woman older than the other girls that were waiting on, then began serving the gentleman at the same time as shouting loudly across the bar and restaurant at the other members of staff that he shouldn't have been left waiting and that she should not be having to deal with the situation as she had only just started. Me and my partner were both shocked at this behaviour, as we both work in a busy pub/restaurant ourselves we understand the pressures that staff often have to go through, however there were maybe 5 others tables sat eating at the same time as us and the behaviour portrayed by what seemed to be a senior member of staff was anything put professional. This same member of staff also argued openly with the landlord (?) as he sat at the bar, again hardly appropriate?
Reading other reviews of this establishment it seems to be a running trend that it is the staff that are letting things down. I completely understand that it is often difficult, tiring and stressful, however despite the numerous good reviews and the reputation that the pub holds, the basics still need to be mastered in order for the rest of the amazing service to be fully appreciated.
Must admit I'm rather nervous about posting this due to the replies I've seen on other poor reviews. I believe that if anything, poor trip advisor reviews should be used as constrictive criticism to enable the owners to continue to improve their businesses, rather than being arrogant and rude to unhappy customers who have not enjoyed a meal. You may be proud of your establishment but there's always room for improvement.

7 Thank Antonia D
thepeacockbakewell, You have to shout to be heard, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
First and foremost Antonia - thank you for your review and the fact you enjoyed the fabulous food we serve at the Peacock.
BUT......

With all due respect, you come to Trip Advisor and having enjoyed a lovely meal in what in all honesty is a lovely pub, you criticise one or two members of staff.

Sorry Antonia - but one characteristic of the Peacock, and I personally am grateful for - it is not Pretentious - in fact the exact opposite, we are very Unpretentious in every way, and what you see is what you get.

FYI - the waitresses employed are not allowed to serve drinks or take orders at the bar, due to their age therefore this is left to the senior members of staff, however they are capable of advising that someone is waiting at the bar.

You have stated that you work in a busy pub/restaurant, please don't patronise me by suggesting there has never been a heated argument or situation in your busy pub/restaurant, and if we have a heated debate so be it, as that proves there is fire in the belly and Vicky the landlady certainly can't be described as a Miss. British Home Stores type as she has passion beyond reproach and that in my book beats pussy footing about and mumbling under ones breath. If there is a point to be made, make it - It doesn't suit everybody, that's fine but not everybody has achieved what that lady has, so there I rest that argument.

Oh, and I note you say you work in a busy what ever - Try OWNING one, and dealing with every single issue that is thrown at you, as you can't even imagine what you have to deal with and I feel you would be washing your under wear on a daily basis.....

Success isn't easy, and has it pitfalls, and this site is one of them - well sometimes, as usually and this does include your review, we get many, many nice compliments, more from customers in the moment, as I'm sure the massive majority can't be bothered - haven't got the time....

I am then criticised for sitting at the bar - this sounds to the innocent bystander that I am/could be the town drunk. Well let me tell you young lady I don't drink, well maybe the odd glass of pop and at the moment I'm going through Ribena as my favourite, and so what - am I not allowed to sit at my own bar having a break or maybe I was sat with my PC replying to the nonsense that is often put on these sites, even catching up on bookings etc - Who knows - Who really cares, but to say it is hardly appropriate - ???

So you conclude with the fact we have amazing service, coupled with a great reputation, but to be fully appreciated we have to horse whip the staff into paying that little bit more attention. As you are more that aware the trade in which we work has turn over with staff, and I refer to the waitresses more than any other position, on a quite frequent rate and new staff have to live and learn very quickly in sometimes a manic situation.....

Your nerves are therefore founded as I respond to your comments ( I think secretly you wanted me to) - but you have to admit we serve amazing food, and the Peacock is a pub that appeals to everyone, whether young or old.

Of course there is always room for improvement in everything we do, and unfortunately not everybody sees it the way you, or me do, but that's life and all in all the Peacock delivers on a high ratio, and I feel we tick most of the boxes for the job we do!

Gotta go, as the landlady is shouting at me again - and I'm just sat at the bar minding my own business!
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Belt Busting Dining”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We have now visited twice and can only offer praise to both staff and chef. A great range of meals and we'll kept local ales. The Sunday Lunch yesterday was stunning, both in quality and quality. The Peacock Burger with Stilton was memorable. I look forward to my next trip to Bakewell.

2 Thank Terry H
thepeacockbakewell, we are the belly busters, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Then what can I say Terry H to your comments, other than Thank You and hopefully we will belly bust you again on your next visit......

Thanks.
Peterborough, England
“Quality pub food”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Not for anyone looking for a posh restaurant or a romantic meal for two because this is a proper pub doing hearty pub food, but great pub food for all that. I saw another reviewer raving about the steak & ale pie, and I agree. I always hesitate if I'm drawn to steak pie of any sort because so often it's an excuse to cover up second-rate meat under a flashy, flaky-pastry lid which disintegrates when you cut into it. Not here. Here you get lean, tender, good quality steak in a tasty gravy under a shortcrust top. Absolutely delicious, and lots of it. Oh and have a pint of Chatsworth Gold with it. Wonderful stuff! The desserts looked good too but we were just too full.

2 Thank A&A_F-L
thepeacockbakewell, Where can you find the best Steak & Ale Pie in Bakewell, at The Peacock, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
.....for a man that's been half way around the world and back - listen to this man's comments as he certainly knows what he's talking about....especially on the subject of Steak & Ale!

Thanks for the post A & A - honest & honest, H & H, yeah we like 'em that way!