“Average accomodation, convenient but up a steep hill!”
Review of Sleep Lodge

Sleep Lodge
Reviewed 21 August 2012

3 couples stayed here in early August for 4 nights in standard suites. The rooms have all convenient necessities, a unit with sink, tea/coffee facilities plus a kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge, cutlery etc. We did all think the cleanliness was somewhat lacking as previously mentioned. It should be noted that the rooms are NOT serviced at all, which is good in that you are undisturbed, however we thought it would be nice to have your towels / tea towel, bed linen perhaps changed every 2 or 3 days. Some rooms are better laid out than others; we could watch TV from our table with 2 chairs (I think we were in Tom Avery), but the other couples could not due to the tables' location in the room, the intermittent loss of sound from the TV was also very annoying! The beds were large, clean and comfortable.
The Sleep Lodge is located up a rather steep, but short hill from Bakewell and the rooms are either up or down several steps too.
For a short stay we would stay again, but it would be good if the cleanliness improved.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I came back yesterday from a night here with my partner. I find the most recent reviews about the place out of proportion- if you look at my other reviews you will see I travel a fair bit and always try to balance my reviews.
Ok so the not so great parts- when you turn in bed, the headboard gives a nice 'whack' on the wall. The tv volume cuts out every 5-6 seconds due to poor signal, there was at one point a slight 'drainy' smell from the bathroom sink, the wifi doesn't work and the grout in the shower perhaps needed redoing.
However!
Our suite had a huge bed and some lovely dwell furniture. The room was modern, and included everything you need to make a snack or a cup of tea. Everything was nice and clean and the apartments are in a very beautiful part of the world, with quintessentially British views across Derbyshire!
I find if people really had to moan about sleep lodge, they must be very unhappy people- the area was stunning and you had a clean safe place to lay your head! If you want a 5* hotel- pay for one.
I would return and also recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank kitkat86
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Overall the accomodation has everything you need for a short stay.However cleanliness was lacking!Cobwebs on the ceiling in room and in the hall way,the fan in the bathroom was completely covered in them.The shower was mouldy,there was spilt sugar from the previous guests in the cupboard,clearly hadnt been cleaned!I couldnt bear to inspect the bed incase I found more grot I would have checked straight out.A shame as its well furnished and only a few minutes walk into the town centre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank candee w
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Sometimes you just want a bed for the night. You know,... no problems, no little niggles.....just a hassle free stay after a long drive. You try to make it easy....you phone ahead to give your ETA. Three hours notice on an advance booking should be enough....especially as you are only confirming that you will arrive at the pre-ordained timeYou arrive on the dot, you are shown proudly to your room (Rannulf Feinnes room) by the resident FM manager....and can you believe it....the room is not made up! Old bedding, in need of a good airing.........but hey, these things happen. Its a one-off. Leave the luggage you,ve just struggled down the spepd with and have a coffee in town whilst the room is fumigated, polished, cleaned and made up. An hour latyer we are back and all seems well....but wait, what IS the dog doing? Ah, just a couple of cheesey puffs and a bottle top under the bed-edge. Easy to miss. Antyhing else dowm there...no....AHA. Yes, an old, very old Malteser! The dog seems happy. I'm glad because she is costing us £20 for the night;s stay. Usually a fiver wherever we stay. but the Olympics are on.. Yuk, though. Need a wash....bathroom basin, good hot water, but how the hell to get the drain plug out? No lifing screw. I can fix that. Ten seconds and a bit of coat hanger. They must have missed it......since May if the other reviews are correct. While we are in the bathroom, check out the grout. Black mould and dirty shower glass; black mould around the window; black and dirty at floor level , too. Hmmm. This is not what we expected for JUST a bed for the night. Still, a quick brush up and then repair the toilet....oh...I forgot to mention that the toilet seat is adrift. I know it lifts off for cleaning because I mentioned it but apparently technology does not exist for securing the bottom hongepost...thety are just ALWAYS comin undone. Funny that. We have toilets in our house and the seats just sit there...er....like they are designed to do. Not to worry, We will just hovver.
The lounge/bedroom smells funny. There is an empty fresh-air distributor on the window sill so its not just me. The smell is coming from the sink in the "self catering" area. I mentioned this, too, but my wife said I should not ghave flushed water through the sink, which cured the smell, as the FM needed to know abou it. I mentioned this, too but he already knew agreeing that it is probably because it had not been used for some time; people often don't, and so the trap had dried out or the water had festered. The only cure would be to get the staff to flush it through when "doing" the room. Hell that's a good idea. We were quite pleased, the FM and I, that I had thought of that. Who would have thought it.
The bed is good. Big. With a nice resounding headboard and squeak. I like that in a headboard. My wife doesn't but you can't have everything. You can't have a DVD playing, for example. There is a wealth of instructional meterial supplied.....but no SCART lead from the player to the TV!
Hey, ho. Off to sleep, perchance to dream

The dog found another cheesey-puff, so that's her £20 well spent. We only found a doggy poo bag in the fridge, notted but thankfully empty...and a big wodge of useful used tissue paper....and some milk....and an unwashed cup in the cupboard....and a burned out bulb in the ceiling..... nothing a bit of maintenance would not put right. Dream on.....
PS, We mentioned the poo-bag, milk and tissue......apparently the staf thought they were ours whilst they made up our room on our arrival.........hmmmm.

Room Tip: Don't choose Rannulf Feinnes.....look for a Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tectak
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I would love to return and will definitely be reccomending it to those who are looking for somewhere to stay. Myself and my sister had a one night stay, we arrived early the lady was more than helpful, she let us leave out belongings and once the room was ready she put them in the room ready for us. The room was clean tidy and bright with the most amazing views over to the hills of derbyshire. It had a great bed, a small kitchenette area with everything we needed, cups crockery etc. The bath was lovely and deep, and the shower was wonderfully powerful. I like the fact all the suites had names we stayed in the ray mears suite.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed here with my sister, for one night, we arrived early but didn't have a car to store our belongings the lady was very happy to store them for us, when we checked in our bags had been put in our rooms and cold items placed in the fridge, the room was lovely, the small kitchen area had good a supply of cutlery, glasses, plates ect, the bathroom was lovely, shower fab, it was very quiet , very happy with our short stay and would very much like to return sometime

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights to attend a friend's wedding, with most of the rooms being taken by other friends.

The price we paid was £184 for two nights, for the "Michael Palin Apartment", which had a separate living room area with a sofa bed had we needed it. Friend's has paid £220 for a "suite" which was actually a room with a kitchen area.. I think we definitely got the better deal but suspect they may have put us in the wrong rooms!

We did actually think that we had booked to stay in Bagshaw Hall, so were all a little surprised to be led to the "sleep lodge" which looks and feels like a school residential building with some nice bedrooms put in to charge a higher price. On arrival we parked in the car park, got out bags out and and headed down following the sign to "reception"....this does not exist. You need to call on arrival then someone will come and meet you to let you into the room.

The room itself was ok though quite dark as it is set slightly lower than ground level so the windows are high and small. It was also difficult to get much air into the apartment and the doors are very heavy and need to be propped open with chairs as there are no door stops.

All was going ok until the first morning when a friend called me to ask if we had hot water - it turned out that we didnt, and neither did anyone else in our party - one friend was told that something had tripped and would be reset, and to wait ten minutes - 40 minutes later the water was still stone cold Hardly the luxury you expect and very frustrating when you are trying to get ready for a wedding and have to have a cold shower! This was also the case on the second morning. Amazing.

The ceiling in the bathroom was also starting to go mouldy and was badly water marked - this made it look dirty and gave a bad impression of the whole place. There is no maid service or breakfast, which I was aware of though would expect for this price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roxy998
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
0 mi away
3 mi away
The Peacock at Rowsley
The Peacock at Rowsley
#1 of 2 in Rowsley

Been to Sleep Lodge? Share your experiences!