“ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I just cannot believe the other negative reviews. Myself and my boyfriend had a lovely meal here on a Saturday afternoon. He was more hungry than me and ordered a starter; soup, when this came the waitress brought us two spoons allowing us to share, so I was able to have a taste and it was delicious. My partner ordered fish and chips; he is a fussy eater and I hoped it would be ok, he received a great big portion and he highly rated the food stating the batter was crispy not soggy and the fish was tender. I ordered home made steak and ale pie, again a great big portion with mash potatoe and several different types of vegetables which was cooked beautifully. We had a lovely time, able to sit and chat, not rushed. Staff friendly, seating cosy, toilets clean. We can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We popped into this cosy looking little restaurant for a spot of lunch not expecting the worst dinning experience ever. The waiter did not have full knowledge of the basic specials board nor drinks that were available. Another pair of diners complained about their meal only to be bad mouthed by the staff in the kitchen which diners could very clearly hear and was continued to be bad mouthed after they had left. This was so uncomfortable to hear and did not make a good atmosphere. After they had had this complaint you would think that the service and food would improve..... Oh how very wrong we were. The lasagne that had been served was burnt and looked like a microwave meal not appatising at all. When we complained about the food it was taken away and then nothing nobody appologised for this appauling food or what we had previously had to experience with the other customers. We will not be eating here again not that we ate today. And we will definately not recommend them to anybody else!!!!!

1  Thank imthebest1
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The food was average if not a little bit greasy. two Items added to my breakfast that weren't requested such as mushrooms and black pudding.

Whilst this may well have been a misunderstanding the blame clearly lays with the management. On the morning visited they had two new and very nervous members of staff who were just starting their new jobs and whilst the nerves can be forgiven and accepted what was very off putting was the attitude on the owner/manageress who virtually called me a liar and said I had ordered a full breakfast when I new what I had specifically asked for.

Perhaps madam you would be better of training your new staff adequately before letting them take orders or communicate with customers. The poor lad was very apologetic but I was happy that he made an innocent mistake, what the owner/manager should have done was accepted that these things happen and put the customer before the profit sometimes.

As a result of this I did not return during our stay even though the quality of the food was reasonable. .

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Went to Bakewell on a day out with my boyfriend and decided to stop here for a cup of tea and a bakewell tart, but on seeing the scones, decided on a cream scone and a hot chocolate instead! O M G! These are thee nicest scones I have ever tasted! Absolutely beautiful, melted in your mouth! Didn't need the cream or jam, or even any butter on, they were absolutely perfect! Beautifully homemade, I wish we'd bought a dozen home! Very reasonably priced as well! I cant wait to go back! Excellent service, very friendly and prompt. Lovely, clean, and tidy! Toilets were very clean as well! Also has a take away bit so you haven't got to sit down inside if you haven't got time or just want cakes to take home with you!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Lovely music fantastic food great atmosphere will definitely be back. The food alone represented great value for money. The entertainment was so good we have booked the guy for our wedding! Fantastic night and our thanks to Helen and her staff !