“Beautiful place, but rather expensive”

Hassop Station Cafe & Monsal Trail Cycle Hire
Ranked #8 of 87 Restaurants in Bakewell
Price range: US$5 - US$14
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Monsal trail near Bakewell. Serving freshly prepared Breakfast, Lunch and Afternoon Tea using local produce. Open evenings during the spring and summer with fresh, stone baked pizzas. Ample parking, disabled access. Counter service. Bookshop, Gift Shop and Cycle Hire on site. Cycle Hire open 9-5, 7 days a week all year round
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Myself and my family have visited this place more times then can be mentioned and have watched as it has grown and been redeveloped over the years. It originally was a superb place to buy books, but this has taken a back seat to a very expensive cafe. Yet the food is displayed to a lovely standard when it is ordered. It is not a good place for children to eat unless they have a particular adult pallet and unless they just want cake and buns.

The place has now become a stop of place for an hour and a coffee and a glance at what few books they are now selling and a glance in the very over priced gift shop of vintage goods.

I cannot comment on the cycle hire as we have not used it, but it never seems busy when we are there.

Over all a pretty building nice and clean with toilet facilities and a good drop of point for a quick coffee and a rest. Sad it seems to have lost its identity of a really good book store. It is good for the Monsail Trail though and walking to Bakewell.

There are newer reviews for Hassop Station Cafe & Monsal Trail Cycle Hire

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I hired a bike and child seat as it is easier than bringing ours in car. I had popped in the week before and the chap that served me was helpful as expected. When I came to hire the bike this week I dealt with someone else who didn't communicate with me at all. When I collected the bike he didn't engage in any conversation and when I returned it he was even worse. My 3 year old was excited about her ride and was chatting but he didn't even acknowledge her. He just stood there. My hands were cold from the ride so I was fiddling with all the clips from the child seat and he just grunted "feet" when I forgot to undo the foot clips making me feel like a right idiot. Another person then dealt wih the return of my credit card (much nicer) and Mr Rude just walked off and went back to his chips and doing whatever he was doing on the big TV screen. I was really appalled by his lack of customer service - I'd have thought it would be quite a nice job but clearly not based on his attitude. Needless to say I wont be subjected to that again as I don't plan to return.

6  Thank Emma T
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We loved using the Station cafe before and again after walking the Trail.

The atmosphere was good the food was fresh and the tea/beer reviving.

Excellent selection of books etc in the shop.

Recommend for all age groups!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Finding a place in the Peak that will give you the choice from hearty soup and sandwiches, lovely cakes to pizzas in the evening is unusual. It can get busy due to location suiting road and being on the Monsal trail but it is worth it. A must do for us now.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

nice food in a busy environment, with interesting shop together with nearby cycle/walking track to take off those gained by eating delicious cakes