“Charming”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Visited with family for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon, helpful staff, nice house wine and the two or three course menu is good value

Visited October 2013

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Never again. Too many mistakes”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

This is a restaurant I have visited for lunch on a fairly regular basis as it can provide quite a nice reasonably priced lunch in nice surroundings. However my latest visit was the last straw and I will not go again. Food is generally not too bad at all but I have previously sent back soup containing do much salt that it was impossible to eat and in fact they had to throw the entire batch away. Why didn't anyone taste it before service. I have also sent back a pasta disk literally swimming in oil.
Yesterday was the last straw. I had soup to start which was pleasant enough. My main course was moules in a cider sauce. This restaurant has a special mussels night every Tuesday so you would expect them to be practised and competent in the preparation and cooking of seafood.
The mussels when they arrived were very small and were really vastly overcooked. I cook mussels at home and have had them at various other places in England and France and am fully aware of how mussels should be. They had also not been cleaned correctly and I had to remove the beard from a large number.
No bowl was provided for the shells until I asked.
I like the concept of this restaurant and they have always replaced any dish I have sent back but with a little care and a half decent chef there should be no need to send anything back. It is a shame as we like to visit Bakewell for lunch on a regular basis but from now on I will be looking for a different place to eat.

Tel Aviv, Israel
“A delightful evening - good food and excellent service”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I visited La Mistral as part of a four day cultural trip with three good friends. On a Monday night, the place was not exactly heaving but the menu was interesting and varied and it took us all a while to decide what to order. We decided to go for the special offer which was a starter and a main plus a bottle of wine for two people for £26. This turned out to be amazing value and ended up costing us £20 per head for an excellent meal with wine. The food was well cooked, tasty and plentiful and our waitress (Sarah) was a delightful girl - nothing was too much trouble and she was thoroughly engaging, helpful and really pleasant. The two shared starters of hummous, olives, cream cheese with chilli, tzadiki, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and toasted pitta bread were absolutely delicious. We ordered a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red which were both house wines. They were both very good. The main courses were also very good. None of us could manage a dessert. It was a real treat to find such a delightful restaurant in a smallish town in Derbyshire and we had a really lovely evening. We would all be more than happy to recommend this restaurant which has 3 other branches

• Visited October 2013
Truro, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“just ok I am sorry”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Great staff, friendly and personable, reasonable VFM but the food just lacked taste and the Bouillabaisse just too few type of fish, far to much tomato and again taste.
some initial concerns as the restaurant seemed not very busy. and yet we were shown to a table next to the kitchen hatch and in the walk way to the rest of the restaurant.
Another shame as so many of their ideas are nearly right e.g. the mushrooms too much cheese and not enough garlic or even please put some in.

• Visited September 2013
england
“good value, nice place”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A Sunday afternoon lunch for a change here, having visited bakewell most weekends for many years. Very enjoyable. Much bigger place than you may think from the outside. 3courses for £12.95 from a lunch time menu with portions slightly less than a full size evening dish. Taglietelli with salmon and chorizo was lovely; bouilabaisse was 6/10; cheescake was lovely as was citron tart. House red wine full boddied and good. Will go there again, probably one night. 2main course + bottle of wine currently on offer at £26

• Visited September 2013