“Nice shop but mixed feelings about the restaurant”

Original Bakewell Pudding Shop
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Bakewell
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have been charged 4.50 for a tiny traditional Bakewell pudding, which seemed a bit overheated and tasteless - the tea was very good though. The bill for two pots of tea and the aforementioned pudding came up to almost 10 quid which I found to be a bit overpriced. You order at the table but have to pay at the counter; overall, the service seemed a bit rushed. However, we loved the decor and the ambience and enjoyed our tea!

The pudding shop downstairs is great - we were offered to try a piece of Bakewell pudding and it was so delicious (way better than the one we'd had in the restaurant) that we bought a large one for just over 5 quid - such a treat!

There are newer reviews for Original Bakewell Pudding Shop

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I love the Bakewell puddings, nothing to dislike.Have been in the restaurant in the past and it was very good.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Got a table for two and spent some time looking at the menu. Although there were waiting staff clearing tables, no one asked us if we'd like to order. Whilst we were sitting there, some people nearby got their food and it looked pretty good. Eventually my boyfriend went back up to the counter to ask if we could order and was told someone would come over. More time passed, during which 4 people were seated nearby. My boyfriend went back again to ask if we could order and was told someone would be straight over, with no apology for the wait. As he was came back to our table to relay this to me, a waitress arrived at the table next to us and started to take their orders. We felt utterly invisible, so in the end we got up and left, still hungry! If it's busy, I would recommend giving this place a miss....

1  Thank shivs28
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The overall impression we had was that there were not enough staff to serve. While there is a disclaimer on the menu apologising for delays at busy times as food is freshly prepared, we were kept waiting for rather too long for our order to be taken. The food when it came was good, but there was really no excuse for the time taken to take return to clear and then bring menus to look at sweet choices. The staff all seemed very busy but there were not enough who knoew what they were doing to make it a memorable eating experience.
Some confusion too when I went to pay and there was no record of what we had ordered. The girl at the till asked me what we had had!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

bakewell pudding is to die for :-) quite a variety of different breads and cakes but the bakewell pudding us to die for :-)