“Good grub”

Ranked #28 of 89 Restaurants in Bakewell
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

9 of us rocked up on a busy bank holiday monday wanting an early tea on the way home from a weekend of wedding delights in Newark. Im a bit picky about chippy fish as my parents have lived in Cornwall for 30 years and its far different than those you get up here but i have to say it was a good un!! All enjoyed

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I are just back home after spending 2 weeks around the Peak District. We'd been tempted so many times by the lovely aroma and the numbers of people queueing for their carry out, that we popped upstairs for our lunch on the day before we were due to leave Bakewell. We were met by the friendliest waitress we've ever met. I had small fish, chips and mushy peas, and it was the tastiest fish in batter I've ever had. The batter was so very light and the fish was cooked to perfection. The chips were tasty, and complimented with tea, bread and butter. We both found the little restaurant very clean, the staff friendly and courteous, the food excellent and the price very reasonable.

1  Thank sarahmarylucas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Me and my wife poped in here for a bite after cycling the Monsal trail. We popped upstairs to the restaurant we told by a waitress there was no tables available. Fair enough how long is the wait I asked, to which I got a shrug of the shoulders and a 'don't know'. As I forgot my crystal ball that day we decided to go to the take away and eat our food by the river. I had small fish and chips and the wife had battered sausage. My fish was battered to within an inch of its life and was clearly overcooked. The chips were not that good either with have being black or had small holes in them (not very good quality potatoes). If this is seriously the best chippy in Bakewell as some have claimed then they can't get out much.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

we were staying at a nearby holiday home site in rowsley. we went into bakewell centre for a look round what a lovely place. whilst browsing we got the lovely smell of fish and chips and numerous people walking round dining on them . we found this chippy/restaurant . I have special dietary needs no wheat, gluten or barley. ( coeliac ) so fish and chips out for me . my wife enquired if they could do fish and chips minus the wheat etc. to my joy they could and I had the most delicious fish chips and pea's ever in the spotlessly clean upstairs restaurant. the staff were very understanding and nothing was to much trouble for them. top class service .thank you.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Awsome fish. Awsome chips. Friendly staff. The only let down were the take away forks which needed to be bigger to accomodate the thick cut chips and the huge fish. Definately returning

1  Thank Richard S