“A beautiful building with stunning grounds”
Review of Hassop Hall

Hassop Hall
Ranked #16 of 89 Restaurants in Bakewell
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A step back in time in a stunning building. The hospitality is very good. The bathrooms on the first floor are an experience.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We cannot say it was poor and we cannot say it was average. In deference to the chef we will say it was very good. The dining room reflects the hotel. It is traditional, county, solid and honestly English. It reminded me of the days of brown Windsor soup, roast beef, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. We will eat anything but the days are long gone when we ate great quantities of hearty fare. And that's the problem with Hassop Hall. A sample from the menu would be fillet of beef with brandy cream sauce, poached egg and stilton. The menu is replete with sauces and stuffings of every hue. Who eats like that anymore? We were on a ten week European tour. If we ate Hassop Hall style we would weigh around 800 lbs. each by the end of the trip. My wife went with the Derbyshire rack of lamb. The quantity would have fed her for three days. There is something off putting in being presented with a quantity of food one could not possibly eat. The thought of sending back more than you receive is not only wasteful, it borders on the obscene. In summary excellent ambiance and efficient service. The food is top quality but far too rich, too many sauces, butters and creams and served in quantities that would feed a small village.. As an aside we rrated the hotel itself a full five stars, very good indeed.

1  Thank AJ&ERtravel
Reviewed 3 July 2014

As a guest,I was very much looking forward to a friendly lunch and good food for our party of eight.We arrived at the Hall and I was very impressed at the sight of the building when parking.
We were greeted nicely and after a bit of a change of chairs we were accommodated in the ante room for drinks.
When the waiter entered to take our drinks order I thought we were in a pantomime.He was dressed embarrassingly in a semi naval braided white jacket with an apron underneath.
I stifled my laughter and ordered my drink.
The food was served "silver service" style and my starter of trio of cured salmon was OK but lacked a bit more dill sauce and the salad garnish was not dressed and looked very dry as did the plates of pate or terrine left on the piano as we entered restaurant.
My main course of slow roasted duck leg was again OK but nothing to shout about.
Anyway,the company was good but I would think twice about going there again.

1  Thank AMAZO1949
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We dined with family members recently midweek at lunchtime to celebrate my 50th Birthday. We were expecting to find the restaurant half empty, but in fact it was close to full, which was nice as there was a good atmosphere. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch with fantastic food and service. The sun was shining so we decided to take our coffees on the terrace, which was a lovely bonus. We use Hassop Hall only once or twice a year on special occasions, but it is always of a consistently high standard and I have never felt that there was any cause for complaint. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We joined family members for a midday lunch recently. Some members had been several times but it was our first visit. It won't be our last. We were greeted at the door and shown to the seats in the bar area where we could relax with our drinks before ordering our meal. The building is beautiful and has a wonderful ambiance.We were taken through into the restaurant and the food was excellent. The portion sizes were very generous and beautifully cooked. The desserts were served from a sweet trolley and all home made. After a wonderful meal we strolled round the superb gardens which are very nicely laid out.