“Perfect”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have had to write this review. We had lunch at hassop hall some months ago and I was less than impressed and disappointed, we were taken back there for Sunday lunch in July and the experience could not have been any better! The service was impeccable, the food delicious and staff truly superb, especially with our young son. I cannot thank the staff enough for a very special family occasion, you made our whole weekend and we will certainly be coming back for another Sunday lunch soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is just such a fabulous place, they just do everything right and to the highest standard! The staff are competent and polite and very professional. The overall service is of a very high standard and you really feel like your a very important customer. The food is absolutely delicious and beautifully presented, I must say the desserts are wonderful! The atmosphere is also lovely with the pianist playing in the back ground, it really gives for a relaxing evening. Overall I love this place, it is well worth the price and is feel like royalty every time I go!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Why did we go ? For a 25th wedding celebration and had the lunchtime menu.

Pros : It is a pretty place and has plenty of space, gardens and grounds to sit outside before going in for meal.
The room we had was intimate with just us in it. It was prettily decorated.
The peach bellini was rather nice and we had a large selection of canapes. I can only comment on the prawn ones which were very tasty. My husband had something with egg and seemed to go back for another one.
The waiters were very attentive - in fact sometimes I thought a little too attentive .
The starters Mozzarella and tomatoes and my crab and salmon moose were large portions and very filling. Enjoyed them . Mother in law had leek and potato soup which she said was very good.
Main course - we all ate lamb although there was a choice of other meats and fish.
The veg were all cooked the way we liked them - not too undercooked and not overcooked.
There were a good choice of sweets from the trolley - fruit trifle , chocolate mousse , a huge cheeseboard which rather overfaced me and a choice of a hot sweet.
All finished off with tea or coffee
They served the children what looked like chicken nuggets and chips
Plenty of parking

Cons: Couldnt find the toilets . The place is like a rabbit warren and I wandered about upstairs and in the end used the disabled one
The waiting on staff made me feel a little uncomfortable they were trying to be too nice in a way.
The vegetables were boring. We had the same as we had had in the Caernarfon last week. I guess I expected something special and only got carrots, roast and boiled potatoes with peas and mange tous.
Being silver service it took a long time to get the vegetables on your plate . There were only 18 of us so no idea how long it would have taken if there were any more of us.

Would it be nice for a celebration again ? For a wedding ideal. Would I I go for a meal just the two of us - probably not. A bit too impersonal for a quiet lunch.
Cost for three courses around £30 each plus £2 for coffee .

Reviewed 7 July 2014

A step back in time in a stunning building. The hospitality is very good. The bathrooms on the first floor are an experience.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We cannot say it was poor and we cannot say it was average. In deference to the chef we will say it was very good. The dining room reflects the hotel. It is traditional, county, solid and honestly English. It reminded me of the days of brown Windsor soup, roast beef, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. We will eat anything but the days are long gone when we ate great quantities of hearty fare. And that's the problem with Hassop Hall. A sample from the menu would be fillet of beef with brandy cream sauce, poached egg and stilton. The menu is replete with sauces and stuffings of every hue. Who eats like that anymore? We were on a ten week European tour. If we ate Hassop Hall style we would weigh around 800 lbs. each by the end of the trip. My wife went with the Derbyshire rack of lamb. The quantity would have fed her for three days. There is something off putting in being presented with a quantity of food one could not possibly eat. The thought of sending back more than you receive is not only wasteful, it borders on the obscene. In summary excellent ambiance and efficient service. The food is top quality but far too rich, too many sauces, butters and creams and served in quantities that would feed a small village.. As an aside we rrated the hotel itself a full five stars, very good indeed.

1  Thank AJ&ERtravel