“Yummy Bakewell Tart” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 16 Coffee & Tea in Bakewell
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Cosy Cafe/Tea rooms, a family owned buisness famous for the Traditional Bakewell Tart. Great menu including breakfasts, lunches, cream teas, snacks and lite bites and delicious cakes.Retail shop open for freshly baked bread and confectionery.Teas, Coffees, cold drinks, freshly made sandwiches, toasties and jacket potatoes to take-away. OPEN 7 DAYS PER WEEK FROM 8.30 A.M. OUTDOOR SEATING AVAILABLE FROM MARCH TO SEPTEMBER.
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Yummy Bakewell Tart”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Been here several times now, 5th time yesterday, we go on our way home from holiday in Scotland end route to Essex! We stopped off for bakewell tart with cream and tea and bought 14 tarts between us as we give lots for presents, they freeze really well. I had the last of last summer's tart at Easter and it was just as yummy. See you next year. Prices are very reasonable and decent pot of tea (I like a strong brew)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for your review and returning every year to visit our shop to purchase your tarts and enjoy our cream tea with a good strong pot of tea.
Freezing the tarts is a great idea so you can eat them all year round.
Looking forward to seeing you next year
Many thanks

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We arrived in Bakewell early and needed breakfast. We were greeted pleasantly. We found the interior somewhat cramped altho at that time of the morning it wasn't crowded. The order was taken promptly and food served promptly also. Altho the food was OK, I'm not a fan of too much food for the size of the plates. The mushrooms encroached onto the egg and the chopped tinned tomatoes (not my cup of tea at all) encroached on just about everything. The toast was excellent and the bacon very tasty. Overall I was slightly disappointed, given the price. I've had far superior breakfasts for far less.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
thank you for your review, sorry you thought there was too much on your plate, we have never had a complaint about how much is on a plate only the opposite, comments have always been made that our full English are very good value, bacon, egg, sausage, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, thick toast and orange juice for £6.25 .
We can certainly offer freshly cooked tomatoes if you ask we do serve these with our Bakewell Brunch, but with experience chopped tomatoes are preferred with a full English.
may be next time you can try us but ask for freshly cooked tomatoes.
mornings are always busy with breakfasts so the cafe is usually full.
many thanks
lincoln
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Service, very, very slow. Ambiance, cramped. Meal - teas & pasties & sausage roll, inedible. Value for money, so-so. Not a great experience.

3 Thank foodcritic32
further to your review I am sorry your sausage roll was not enjoyable, but as you are probably aware the best practice if your food is not acceptable is to let a member of staff know. If there was a problem with sausage rolls on that particular day we would like to know, I have spoken with the staff on duty on the the days around your review and they cannot recall a complaint about a sausage roll, we do have a procedure in place for complaints firstly we would offer a replacement, then an alternative and then a refund, we do not like our customers to go away feeling disappointed.
due to the popularity of our cafe we are very busy and the cafe soon becomes full, I would love more room but unfortunately it is not possible, we do have over 20 seats in a private courtyard to the rear of the shop which is very spacious.
thanks
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Rude and poor service. Mediocre tart !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived at about 4.35 on a Saturday afternoon keen for tea and tart. And tart was what we got. The waitress was exceedingly sharp, refusing me an extra cup to share my daughter's pot of tea, and not managing to serve ice cream in a separate dish despite being asked with humour. Coffee was served in the saucer. I was careful with my tone. A neighbouring customer approached me as she was leaving and said I handled it well, so I'm sure I wasn't too demanding or rude in return. The waitress explained they were closing, but if that was the case then she should have said so and not taken the order at all. Better to get it right, or to not try at all, than to get it so badly wrong. My receipt, brought with the order, once corrected, was timed 16.46.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank JCScotland
zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
After reading your review I have spoken with the staff on duty at the time and it would appear that you arrived after the kitchen and coffee shop had closed at 4.30pm which you may not have been aware of, although we were closed you were served as we did not want to disappoint you.
you ordered a pot of tea for one and asked for an extra cup to share with a another member of your group, you were advised that a pot for two people would be chargeable.
All our customers normally would order a drink each.
Regarding the ice cream which we serve in the same dish with our desserts, after bringing this to your table you requested for the ice cream to be put in a cup, which I understand you were all sharing, maybe when you ordered it if you had made us aware that you were all sharing it would have been done before it was served to you and more cutlery could have been supplied also.
The member of staff has assured me that she was not rude to you, explaining that a pot for one is not the same price as a pot for two and an extra payment would be required obviously offended you.

Dorset
“Not to be missed - consistently good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I always visit this shop when in Bakewell. Perhaps 8 times over the past 30 years (I live hundreds of miles away) and it has never dissapointed. If you are anywhere near call in and at least buy authentic, original, genuine Bakewell Puddings & Pies, or even the iced variety that a certain cakemaker popularised. If course you have to be an almond lover because this product definitely contains nuts. Love it. If you cannot finish (because it's very rich) just wrap it up and take-away. I buy to take-away for numerous 'appreciative Southerners' and the product travels very well and lasts in the refigerator once you get home.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zoe m, Owner at The Bakewell Tart Shop & Coffee House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review and for visiting our shop every time you visit Bakewell, we have quite a following of customers who have to keep coming back to take Bakewell tarts and our traditional pies back home for friends and relatives.
This is really appreciated and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Thanks again