“Very slow service, limited availability of food”
Review of Proctors Fish & Chips - CLOSED

Proctors Fish & Chips
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stopped in here with family for fish and chips on Saturday at 5.50pm. There was already about 6 others in the queue ahead of me and in the half an hour it took to get served three others that joined the queue after me left out of desperation. There was one man cooking and one man serving very slowly. There had been a cycling event on in Bakewell during the day so I expected that a restaurant/takeaway would have had the thought to put on a few more staff. The food was ok but the fish (cod) was very small. (8oz at £3.80) Skinless and boneless Haddock was advertised at £4.80. Chips were £2.50 for a large portion (not that large) or £1 for a cone. I asked for three battered fishcakes for the kids. I was told there weren't any and was given some breaded ones that looked like they'd been in there all afternoon. The kids hated them as they were so dry (£1.50 each) and they got thrown in the bin. Although it filled a hole I would avoid this fish and chip shop if I found out there was another one in the town.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We visited on a quiet day mid week, and ate in the restaurant, The service was very slow, when the food did come, one meal was missing peas, they did correct this without fuss.
The food quality was good, and portion size about right.
Other peoples orders came out wrong, and people were eating takeaway at three other tables, despite signs stating not to do so.
One takeaway customer asked for and received a plate, knife and fork.
The serving staff need a better command of English and clear guidance on what is expected.
I don't mean this to be a rant, please take it as constructive criticism.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Early Sunday evening whilst camping in Bakewell we decided to get take away fish n chips and enjoy them by the riverside. We had 2 haddock & chips which was on special offer plus the kids meals. I had gravy with mine and was a bit worried when I saw it as looked thick and gloopy but at closer inspection it was "proper" gravy with bits of meat in and tasted like red wine gravy. It was really tasty . My young son had curry with his chips and that too was much nicer than the normal chip shop curry. The portions were just right and we were all very full. Service was efficient and polite.

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We went on a busy sunny day and the queue was large but we still got served very quickly! The fish was cooked perfect and I liked the different sizes of fish you could have. Service was great and portion sizes really good. Although it is in a small box they pile the chips up! There was just enough/little too much. Good service good food!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I am a little confused about some reviews below, saying the portion sizes aren't big enough, as ours was HUGE!! We shared haddock & chips and could just about finish it between two. We ate out, as we went on Good Friday so it was very busy. Pricey, but worth it.

1  Thank Jessica H