“Totally wonderful”

The Garden Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 14 Coffee & Tea in Bakewell
Description: We are a small open air Tea Room set in the Derbyshire countryside overlooking the Peak National Park. The Tea Room is set on our terrace with seating for 24. All of our cakes are home made in our kitchen using local produce and the best ingredients. We serve a variety of coffees and various tea's including fruit, green and decaf tea. We also have a selection of cold drinks. We try to cater for customers who require gluten free by providing at least one cake which is gluten free. Dogs are very welcome with fresh water and dog biscuits provided. You can find us by heading from the village,down Dale Road towards the Dale, past St Annes Church on the left, we are located on the right hand side of the lane, we do have a sign out but if you have difficulty finding us please give us a call and we will come and find you.X
Reviewed 27 August 2013

It was my Mums birthday and she does like a tearoom so I went looking on the internet. Found that the Garden Tea room was rated No 1 in Bakewell so contacted Karen to ask if we could bring a candle for the cake. She was great , responded very quickly and promised not to sing as per my request. Both Karen and Mark were as delightful as their house and cakes. What a treat to visit this great tearoom in a lovely village, the views about are beautiful and worth the detour as the tea room is about five minutes outside of Bakewell. Don't be put off though, make the effoft to visit as the village setting is lovely and the tea rooms have wonderful seating with views over the surrounding countryside.

Karen and Mark make their own cakes and really you need to be sure to ask to take away cake as the choice is too good - you could not try a bit of everything like you may want to. I had the lemon drizzle cake, Mum had treacle tart and my friend had the carrot cake. We all offered the other a taste but were all relieved when no-one wanted to swap even a little bit of theirs. In fact our table grew very quiet when the cake arrived.....

Karen even gave my Mum a birthday card. How is that for customer service?
Please visit you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for a lovely treat Karen and Mark.

Karen C, Owner at The Garden Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

I hope your Mother had a lovely birthday, it was lovely meeting you and we very much appreciated the fact that you chose to come to our Tea Room for your Mothers birthday. Thank you for the lovely review and hopefully we will see you again in the near future. Kindest regards and best wishes to your Mother. Karen and Mark.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Karen and mark have opened up their home and garden to create a truly wonderful place to sit and drink tea. Their cakes are divine and all hand baked, the only trouble is choosing which one, with a large pot of tea all served on Denby pottery, giving that extra special touch.They are a wonderful friendly couple. The views are stunning and their hard work is a credit to them both. It is a shame that I live too far away to have the garden tea room as my Saturday afternoon guilty pleasure . Walk past and regret not going in as this tea room is very special.

Thank you for giving us such a lovely review we very appreciate you taking the time and trouble. It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband and you are able to come back to Derbyshire very soon. Kindest regards. Karen and Mark.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We were told by fellow guests at our B&B that we simply must visit the Garden Tea Room in Over Haddon, so we did - and what a lovely tea room in an amazing setting! The hosts were very friendly and welcoming and it was just wonderful to sit on the terrace admiring the beautiful countryside. The lattes were excellent and my chocolate brownie was to die for! My husband thoroughly enjoyed his Eccles cake too. We recommend this tea room - one of the best we've been to (and certainly with the best view!)

Thank you for such a wonderful review we appreciate your kind comments and hope you enjoyed the rest of your break. We hope to see you again when your in the area next. Kindest regards. Karen and Mark.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stopped for tea and cakes at this tea room after a walk in the beautiful Lathkill Dale National Nature Reserve. I had read the Trip Advisor reviews and I can fully endorse all the very good things people are saying about the place. First it's in a great location with outside tables with views over the steep terraced garden. Lots of wild birds including woodpeckers coming into the garden to feed. The owners are a very friendly couple who told me they opened 4 months ago after 2 years of solid work getting the terraces and garden etc sorted out. They make all the cakes themselves - there was a great choice too. We opted for coffee cake and lemon drizzle cake. They were delicious. Generous portions, light and tasty, and inexpensive too. We had a pot of tea for two, and after 5 large cupfuls there was still plenty left. If you like tea/coffee and cake this is the place to go.

Karen C, Owner at The Garden Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

The lemon drizzle cake and coffee cake are possibly our best sellers so we are pleased you enjoyed yours when you visited us. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us such a lovely review we appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit the Lathkill Dale. Kindest regards Karen and Mark.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

During a lengthy walk, I needed to take a rest and was heading to a bench on the side of the road. However, I was so pleased and quite shocked to spy a tearoom sign, balanced at the side of the road! Mark, a very kind and welcoming young man, was a little surprised to discover a customer so early and duly supplied a well earned cappucino. Two hours, two hot beverages, a tour of their beautiful house, a meet and greet of the dogs and a varied conversation later, my husband finally arrived to enjoy the delicious range of homemade treats that were on offer. Thank you so much for a truly enjoyable morning with spectacular views and a fabulous host. It was a shame that I didn't meet Karen, who was out plant shopping! Congratulations to you both for starting such a wonderful tearoom - one of the best I've been to. I would like to wish you the very best of luck in your venture, I am absolutely certain you will do incredibly well. Anyone who walks on by, will be missing a great opportunity to sit, talk and relax in a fabulous garden, nestled in the heart of the Derbyshire countryside.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review we very much appreciate you taking the time. Mark very much enjoyed meeting you and having a good chat, we're pleased you like the location and hopefully you will have the chance to visit us again soon. Kindest regards Karen and Mark.