“Amazing”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bakewell
la lannta
“Amazing”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We stopped for 1 night with friends for a surprise Birthday treat, from the moment we booked the service and attention to detail was amazing, the rooms was excellent and even had a welcome drink waiting in our rooms, the food did not disappoint either I can say hand on heart we cannot wait until we return

Stayed March 2014
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Carl and Chris

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Birthday surprise, myself and the team at the Monsal Head are delighted that we could be a part of a memorable journey for you.

Looking forward to your return to us in the coming months

Kindest regards

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

we been before last year to eat in the stable bar it was lovely so when my parents come up for day we took them to the restaurant side we was seated on a table with half the culturally missing.The manager was serving us no one else working there was messing around the back of bar didnt come to take are drinks order for 45mins. bye this point a table had got up and walked out. But given him a chance cos he seems a bit flushed trying to fix card machine we ordered food and waited took him 20 mins to bring our drinks over. The food came out he forgot to bring my boyfriend meal out we had ask where it was it . It was a chicken ceasar salad came with out the chicken so had to wait for the chicken my food was fishcakes salad was stone cold which he said it was sat on the pass for a while cos he was on the phone. in the end I couldn't eat it the salad just discussing so many thing when wrong the manager still wanted us to pay the full amount I am definitely not going back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank suziesd
derbyshirew, General Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Susiesd,

Firstly on behalf of my partner Hannah and myself I would like to pass on our sincere and personal apologies for the many shortfalls that occured during your resent visit.

I believe it was one of our Duty Managers that was looking after you on this occasion whilst Hannah and myself were taking a few well deserved days off after 6 months of working here.

Words can not describe our horror upon our return to see such negative feedback as we have worked so hard to pride ourselves on our service and personability along with our food offering as can be read in multiple trip advisor feedbacks, all of which has fallen short on your visit and we will not allow this to happen within our establishment.

I will not defend poor service or poor food and when we are wrong I will admit we are wrong and wether it be a team member or a Duty Manager they are still a representative of our business and should deliver exceptional service at all times even if the senior management have taken time off work.

All feedback has been well and truly fedback to ALL our team members and has been citied as how NOT to look after guests in future visits.

This is most definately a matter I would like to speak to you with on a personal level so please could you contact me at your earliest convenience on 01629 640250. Hopefully during our conversation i can re-instill faith in the Monsal Head Hotel and ensure you that this was a one off negative visit which i will make right by inviting all your party back at a time of your choosing as guests of ours.

Keith Robson

Travellers are raving about these Bakewell hotels

loughborough
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My mum & I went to stay on a Monday night to celebrate her birthday. The hotel is situated in one of the most spectacular locations in England - exceptional views over the valley & dales. We were blessed with stunning weather to say it was March - I actually got sunburnt from the walking!
The hotel itself is maybe a little dated but has everything needed for an extremely comfortable stay. We had been advised that some of the other double rooms had been recently refurbished but we were in their only twin room which hadn't been done yet. The views, however by far make up for any tired looking decoration. Beautiful alcove window seats looking directly over the valley. Spent a lovely hour with my book and a glass of wine there!
The stable bar next door is exactly what it says it is - an old stable. Still full of unique charm & character - right up my street!
The food served (we ate both lunch & evening) was quite possibly the best food I've eaten out in a pub for years. Its fusion based and is truly delicious. I had the rump of lamb and my mum had the Norwegian cod. I'm afraid to say I cant remember all the ingredients but both of us rated it 10/10.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was ever too much trouble (I we can be awkward customers!)
I can whole heartedly recommend this hotel & pub to anyone who loves proper, freshly cooked food to a high standard (certainly no microwave cooking here which is fab!) excellent service & a comfortable stay.
Will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jyacinth59,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is great to set that we are able to maintain our standards and ensure you had a fantastic visit at the Monsal Head Hotel.

All staff have read your comments as we now have a trip advisor notice board in place to show all staff all feedback so they know when we are doing a great job.

We welcome you back to our business in the near future.

Regards

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Just stayed here with 2 other couples, we all took our dogs. Stables bar great for relaxing after a days walking and evening meal was lovely. Very dog friendly and all staff were helpful and cheery. Views from room over the Dale were beautiful. Great breakfast set us up for another days walking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Jaycinth59

Thank you for providing such positive feedback regarding your stay over the weekend.

Myself and the team are delighted that your dogs enjoyed relaxing in our Stables bar, I hope that they had their fill of treats from our bar, and yourselves were no trouble at all.

Hopefully we will be seeing more of you and the dogs in the coming months as the weather brightens up

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Just tried to book a golden anniversary dinner for 15 and received demands for £5 deposit per person and request for pre-ordered meals 2 weeks in advance! No thanks for what looks like over priced and poorly reviewed service. If a busy restaurant cannot cope with menu orders on the day then its not much of a restaurant. Booked in to the delightful Miners Arms, Eyam instead. Wonderful menu, no deposit or pre-orders required, just a welcoming friendly response. Stick to the views in Monsal eat elsewhere...

Stayed February 2014
derbyshirew, General Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear NarwhalSheffield,

As one of the management team here at the Monsal Head Hotel we always endeavour to reply to all comments placed on trip advisor.

On this ocassion I am confused as to why you felt you needed to complain about something that really is not a major issue.

As an independant business it is regular practise that a holding deposit would be requested should a party of guests go over a certain number and in our case that number is 10 and after almost 25 years in the hospitality industry I have seen this deposit procedure take place in many other restaurants too.

With regards to preordering this is also common practice when numbers hit party numbers such as yours, this is to help assist service and also to ensure guests are able to have their own dishes that they require without any refusal, I am sure that had a pre order not been made and certain dishes had become unavailable for what was a golden anniversary celebration you would most certainly have been finding other negative comments to blitz all over trip advisor.

As you can see from lots of our previous reviews that we value all our guests and work our upmost to achieve fantastic service and amazing food which is not over priced as stated yet priced competatively against our neighbouring restaurants and bars.

I do hope you have an enjoyable time at the Miners Arms in Eyam, I have personally dined their and find their food and service is on par with our own.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had an afternoon free together (which is a rarity since we both work in catering!) so we decided to go out for late lunch at the Monsal head which was recommended by a friend of ours. We walked into the stables bar and was greeted by Keith the general manager with a real warm hospitable hello which you rarely get anymore when walking into hotels or bars. We sat at a table beside the warm log burner. The whole room had a great rustic feel to it, keeping in touch with it roots of its stables origins. We ordered drinks and was presented with menus. The menu it's self seemed to have something for everyone! From bar bites such as burgers, fish and chips to lighter bits like sandwiches, salads. Even a children's menu. Then there was what I would say for me the main menu ( for foodies like ourselves!)....home cured salmon, hot smoked trout, soufflés, local meats and cheeses! This is certainly what I was looking for. When the food came it was presented so intricately and tasted perfect! We never felt like we had to wait for anything everything was just flowing at a nice steady pace! I've had worse meals, service and experiences at 5* 2 rosette establishments. We will certainly be coming back! Thank you so much to Keith and his staff! See you again soon. Carl and Victoria

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Carl and Victoria

Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your visit to our Stables bar.

Myself and the team at the Monsal Head are delighted that our menu was able to "tick all the boxes" for the foodie in you and that you have such a wonderful time with us.

We hope to see you again very soon and that we are able to tempt you with some more of our chef's creations

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Chose the hotel for its location close to some great walking in Derbyshire. It looked nice from the reviews but exceeded my expectations. Very friendly service where everything is done for the customer's convenience not the hotel (what a refreshing change!). Lovely room, recently refurbished, very smart bathroom with a fantastic power shower. (Tip: not all of the rooms have been refurbished yet). But the star is the food; locally sourced ingredients cooked with a modern twist, good range of options for veggies and people who don't want anything too stodgy, but also a great steak or fish and chips if you just want a hearty meal. Fine range of real ales in the bar.
Dogs welcomed rather than just tolerated.
Would definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rowington

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your stay with us.

Myself and the team are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and were able to provide you with a wonderful escape to our picturesque retreat.

We hope that we will see you again in the near future and that your dog will be not far behind as well

Duty Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Bagshaw Hall
East Lodge Country House Hotel
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton

Been to Monsal Head Hotel? Share your experiences!