“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bakewell
Burt
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from my son's wedding reception and evening party on 4th April held at The Monsal Head Hotel. We had the most amazing time at the hotel, the service and food were fantastic. Keith and his staff were superb all the way through the day and evening and nothing was too much bother. Definitely be back on our own. Fabulous setting for a wedding reception though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Linda R
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Linda R

Thank you for posting your brilliant feed back. I would like to again congratulate your son on his wedding and wish him and his new wife all the best in the coming years.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words, and myself and the team are looking forward to you next stay with us

Duty manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have just come back after a weekend at the Monsal Head hotel, helping my husband celebrate his 60th birthday....with 46 friends and family.

Keith and Hannah were brilliant in helping me organise the event and come the evening itself, they and their staff could not have been more helpful, friendly or efficient. The food was excellent - served hot and fresh even for that number and the kitchen did an equally grand job in meeting the needs of vegetarians and a number of people with dietary restrictions. Several of our friends have enthused about their meals. If you're looking for a venue for around 50 in this part of the world, I'd definitely recommend it.

As regards a place to stay for a weekend (or longer), we think the Monsal Head is hard to beat: comfy beds, nice warm rooms and great views from the front bedrooms and restaurant. The breakfasts are freshly cooked and just rIght to start a day of walking, cycling etc. The Stables Bar provides a more rustic atmosphere for less formal eating and a beer or two.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frances W
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed one night recently for a surprise birthday party for a friend
we had a really great time, wonderful food, really helpful staff especially Keith
I would really recommend this hotel and we cant wait to visit again

Room Tip: room 3 has fantastic views across the Dale
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear indiemos

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us on Saturday night. Myself and the team are delighted that we could make your stay with us a wonderful experience and we hope that we see you in the near future

Kindest Regards

yorkshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just returned after a surprise birthday treat. From the moment we stepped through the front door it was amazing very friendly, although our rooms were not ready (which we did expect as it was early) we were able to leave our bags and set off walking. We arrived back t find our bags in our rooms which were very comfortable attention to detail was top quality. We had dinner in the restaurant we were not disappointed I was made to feel very special keith made us all a cocktail very nice indeed! The food was amazing all very fresh and cooked with love. my only disappointment was I didn't have the sticky toffee pudding as I was so full. Thankyou keith and Hannah for my cake cant wait to come again if not to stay but for something to eat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wicker10
derbyshirew, Duty Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Wicker10

Thank you for your brilliant feedback. We strive to make every guests stay with us as memorable as possible. I have passed your compliments onto our kitchen team and they have assured me that the sticky toffee will be waiting for your return.

la lannta
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We stopped for 1 night with friends for a surprise Birthday treat, from the moment we booked the service and attention to detail was amazing, the rooms was excellent and even had a welcome drink waiting in our rooms, the food did not disappoint either I can say hand on heart we cannot wait until we return

Stayed March 2014
Dear Carl and Chris

Thank you for your feedback regarding your Birthday surprise, myself and the team at the Monsal Head are delighted that we could be a part of a memorable journey for you.

Looking forward to your return to us in the coming months

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

we been before last year to eat in the stable bar it was lovely so when my parents come up for day we took them to the restaurant side we was seated on a table with half the culturally missing.The manager was serving us no one else working there was messing around the back of bar didnt come to take are drinks order for 45mins. bye this point a table had got up and walked out. But given him a chance cos he seems a bit flushed trying to fix card machine we ordered food and waited took him 20 mins to bring our drinks over. The food came out he forgot to bring my boyfriend meal out we had ask where it was it . It was a chicken ceasar salad came with out the chicken so had to wait for the chicken my food was fishcakes salad was stone cold which he said it was sat on the pass for a while cos he was on the phone. in the end I couldn't eat it the salad just discussing so many thing when wrong the manager still wanted us to pay the full amount I am definitely not going back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank suziesd
derbyshirew, General Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Susiesd,

Firstly on behalf of my partner Hannah and myself I would like to pass on our sincere and personal apologies for the many shortfalls that occured during your resent visit.

I believe it was one of our Duty Managers that was looking after you on this occasion whilst Hannah and myself were taking a few well deserved days off after 6 months of working here.

Words can not describe our horror upon our return to see such negative feedback as we have worked so hard to pride ourselves on our service and personability along with our food offering as can be read in multiple trip advisor feedbacks, all of which has fallen short on your visit and we will not allow this to happen within our establishment.

I will not defend poor service or poor food and when we are wrong I will admit we are wrong and wether it be a team member or a Duty Manager they are still a representative of our business and should deliver exceptional service at all times even if the senior management have taken time off work.

All feedback has been well and truly fedback to ALL our team members and has been citied as how NOT to look after guests in future visits.

This is most definately a matter I would like to speak to you with on a personal level so please could you contact me at your earliest convenience on 01629 640250. Hopefully during our conversation i can re-instill faith in the Monsal Head Hotel and ensure you that this was a one off negative visit which i will make right by inviting all your party back at a time of your choosing as guests of ours.

Kindest Regards

Keith Robson

Travellers are raving about these Bakewell hotels

loughborough
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My mum & I went to stay on a Monday night to celebrate her birthday. The hotel is situated in one of the most spectacular locations in England - exceptional views over the valley & dales. We were blessed with stunning weather to say it was March - I actually got sunburnt from the walking!
The hotel itself is maybe a little dated but has everything needed for an extremely comfortable stay. We had been advised that some of the other double rooms had been recently refurbished but we were in their only twin room which hadn't been done yet. The views, however by far make up for any tired looking decoration. Beautiful alcove window seats looking directly over the valley. Spent a lovely hour with my book and a glass of wine there!
The stable bar next door is exactly what it says it is - an old stable. Still full of unique charm & character - right up my street!
The food served (we ate both lunch & evening) was quite possibly the best food I've eaten out in a pub for years. Its fusion based and is truly delicious. I had the rump of lamb and my mum had the Norwegian cod. I'm afraid to say I cant remember all the ingredients but both of us rated it 10/10.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was ever too much trouble (I we can be awkward customers!)
I can whole heartedly recommend this hotel & pub to anyone who loves proper, freshly cooked food to a high standard (certainly no microwave cooking here which is fab!) excellent service & a comfortable stay.
Will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jyacinth59,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is great to set that we are able to maintain our standards and ensure you had a fantastic visit at the Monsal Head Hotel.

All staff have read your comments as we now have a trip advisor notice board in place to show all staff all feedback so they know when we are doing a great job.

We welcome you back to our business in the near future.

Regards

Keith Robson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Bagshaw Hall
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton

Been to Monsal Head Hotel? Share your experiences!