“What an oasis of friendliness & charm”
Review of Monsal Head Hotel

and 1 more site!
Monsal Head Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Bakewell
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“What an oasis of friendliness & charm”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My partner and I visited the hotel on 7th June after a 4 hour walk and drenched to the bone!! we were greated by the most genuine and friendly person who we later discivered was Keith, the Manager. We plonked ourselves down at a table near the bar - Keith asked us what we wanted to drink and said 'don't get up' - he noticed that we were knackered!!! we didn't have to get to up and ask for drinks as Keith was very attentive and asked if we needed another. We noticed that the servive he gave to other customers was 1st class, too - to cap it all, keith's wife then served us, Hannah, who was equally as friendly and helpful.Keith has a cracking sense of humour and coulod be employed as a comedian!! We will definitely be going back to stay at the hotel. We feel that Keith and Hannah's employers are extremely lucky to have such dedicated, kind, helpful staff - thanks for looking after us during an extremely wet day!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
derbyshirew, Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear kcandb

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review, it is very enjoyable to read about the positive experience which you had here, even if the weather wasn't as pleasant for you!

I will pass on your comments to my general manager Keith as he prides himself on the customer service which we provide, especially the personal touches and the humour which we all believe is important. All the staff here at the Monsal Head Hotel have a 'nothing is too much' attitude to everything we do and we aim to make everyone’s experience as great and as welcoming as yours.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, fingers crossed the weather will be dryer and warmer! Thanks again for your comments.

Bar Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Proper old pub that was just the job before a walk! Great service behind the bar the staff were excellent. I had a lovely Sunday lunch with the nicest Yorkshire pudding I've had a long time. Thank you to all.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear CalChris,

Thank you for your review, I am really pleased you had a pleasurable experience on Sunday and will pass your comments on to the staff. The customer service we provide is something we are all very proud of and we aim to deliver the best we can, it is nice to hear that we are being successful.

The chefs will certainly be pleased to know that you rate our Sunday Roasts and the Yorkshire Puddings so highly; I must admit they are very tasty and will definitely set you up for a lovely walk along the trail.

We hope to see you again soon, maybe for another Sunday Roast with a delicious Yorkshire Pudding and all the trimmings!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I visited the Monsal on the 3/06/2014 with my partner.

The location of the Monsal is outstanding, the views just outside are spectacularly breathtaking. In fact, I'd recommend visiting this area just for the outstanding views of a true British treasure.

I visited the bar which is set out like an old stable, and although it was busy, we manged to find a seat. I think it's such a shame that more capacity isn't on offer, they would do so well to have a larger in door seating area for drinks. I digress, because I think it's important to understand that short of adding an extension and potentially ruining the character of the place (which is amazing), there's not much they can do. But I just wish we could have had a more comfortable spot, a larger a table and then we may have even ordered more than just one course.

The bar is well stocked, there's some local beers on offer, which we loved. The barman was very knowledgeable two, but didn't seem comfortable trying selling the others, instead offering us a small taster of those he was unsure about. This was OK, because he made it into a joke and soon we were all laughing and made our choices.

The food was great, but as I mentioned before, if we could have had more space, then we would have ordered a starter and a dessert, alas, we had to miss out.

One huge issue though, if not sorting out space because of impossibilities, would be to increase staffing levels.

On our visit, there was one bar man who acted as everything and anything, from cleaning, to making drinks, to serving food and taking orders. Having more staff would give the impression that the owners valued our custom a bit more than just giving a large group of people one person to deal with, maybe it was a cost saving measure? But, service was fantastic, the young bar man on was charming, friendly and had a cracking sense of humor.

I would visit again, perhaps on a day that we'd expect to be less busy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julie B,

Firstly thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Stables Bar. We are very lucky to be in such a fabulous location, I strongly believe it would be hard to find a better view where you can enjoy a pint of locally brewed real ale.

In regards to the limited indoor seating which is provided, unfortunately due to the nature of the building the layout of tables is restricted due to the original stalls; therefore we can only cater for the seven tables. I do agree it would be lovely if it was bigger, however as you stated this would ruin the original rustic features which are the aspects that make the bar what it is and here at the Monsal Head we believe this is more important than building an extension which would remove the much loved features. However, there is further seating available in our Longstone Restaurant. I will of course pass on your comments, in particular those regarding the need for bigger tables, as it is unfortunate that you didn’t order from our delicious range of desserts, the chocolate nemesis is to die for!

The beers which we stock at the Monsal Head are all micro-brewery sourced and we pride ourselves on supporting the local breweries. I am pleased to hear that the barman was very knowledge and could advise you on the different beers which we offer and when in doubt provided you with a small taster. These are the personal touches which we believe are important. However, we will continue ensuring all our staff have a good knowledge of the different beers in order to advise customers the best they can.

In regards to the staffing issues which you commented on, I was personally working on Tuesday and there were two members of staff working in the Stables bar itself, as well as myself situated in the Longstone Restaurant, and I will be looking into why there was only the one member of staff present when you visited. I can assure you however that we value each and every guest in the Stables bar, the Longstone Restaurant and the Hotel regardless of how busy we may seem.

I am pleased to hear the food was good and I will take pleasure in passing on the comments to the chefs, who always enjoy hearing the feedback which we get from their lovely food.

We hope to welcome you back at some point in the near future and hopefully you will have the opportunity to taste for yourself how lovely both our starters and desserts are!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed at the lovely place last weekend. We received a very warm welcome from Keith and his team. Lovely people who were very helpful and friendly. I honestly can't understand the previous comments about the room not being very clean because we found ours to be spotless. Very comfortable nights sleep and a super tea tray! Wonderful view. The food is excellent and amazing value for money, huge compliments to the Chef. We had a fabulous stay and look forward to our next visit. Rosie and Ray Stevenson.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
derbyshirew, General Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello Rosie and Ray,

We appreciate you standing up against the negativity that haas recently been placed on Trip Advisor and thank you for your wonderful comments.

Not much else can be said as you have said it all but lets hope we see you and many guest like you in the near future.

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

On first being shown to our room I felt really depressed. Hall and stair carpets dirty, smelled of dog. Room very tired. View lovely, bed good. Bathroom very basic, not even a shower curtain but at least there was lots of hot water. Room was not very clean, lots of dirt under the storage heater for example.
Unfriendly check in. Breakfast next morning better when we met new manager - however he seemed too full of his plans for the future of the hotel whilst taking his eye off the day to day running.
The food in this hotel is very tasty. Not cheap but pretty good value, breakfast is excellent. The restaurant is cavernous and cold and totally empty when we were there so we ate in the pub which was better but very uncomfortable. The dirty grey dishcloths used for wiping the tables were very off putting.
If you liked a Faulty Towers there are some good laughs to be had. The staff really don't like having guests very much and sharing the breakfast room with the local PROBUS group was good entertainment!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Ballinpittle17,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit, but it really hurts when once again we fall into the routine fo replying to any form of negative comments via trip advisor instead of in person. Upon check out ALL guests are asked how their stay was giving you the guest the opportunity to give us your feedback and if any negative issues to rectify them there and then at least then you would have been able to comment on what we did positively for you.

If i recall you had 2 rooms one double room with and ensuite shower which has a glass shower door from top to floor and a twin room with ensuite bath which does not require shower curtain due to it being a bath and does not have shower facilities but it does have a small shower head connecting to the tap which is infact used for washing hair when in the bath. Once again had these issues been brought to our attention we would have seen what we could have done to rectify and make right.

When you checked in our staff where infact still finalising housekeeping duties and if there where any odours from dogs I apologise but the odour would have come from the 2 dogs that were booked into our hotel that day and please note that we have all areas proffessionally chemically safe cleaned after every dog has vacated the hotel, one saving factor in this case is that both dogs did infact come with well behaved owners.

You comment very lightly on how marvellous the food was, but we were under the believe that trip advisor is about giving honest feedback about a stay and its just a shame you were unable to comment on that more, but once again thank you for the positive comments.

Our Stables bar is a 200 year converted stables block with origional stables floor, we can not chnge that but have added cushioned seating on all tables and once again had we been informed of your uncomfortability we would have more than happily fetched more cushions for you to sit.

Our dish clothes may be a bit grey but are machine washed daily and we only ever use strilising solution when cleaning tables, but sorry if this was off putting and I will address this with my team for the future.

I take heart with your Fawlty Towers quote and although the program was a huge success unfortunately we do not have the bank balance of John Cleese or Prunella Scales to put right all we wish to do with the Monsal head Hotel. But the one thing we are proud of is our service as can be read by many many many other guests comments on trip advisor.

Probus is a local retired business mens club which join us every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month and I am glad you enjoyed their ntertainment, I personally call them guests and welcome them here whenever they choose.

Once again thank you for your semi unbiased feedback and we will look into all matters.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My niece booked several rooms and a private dining room for my sisters 70th birthday.
The staff at the Monsal could not not have been more attentive and helpful, the food and service was first class and they went the extra mile to ensure our party had a thoroughly enjoyable stay.
The evening meal and breakfast was served by pleasant and professional staff who looked after the event from start to finish.
As someone has mentioned before, the rooms are a little dated, but are In the process of being refurbished, which we knew about before we booked.
Having said that, the rooms had all the amenities required for our stay, including a great view over Monsal Dale and they had all the little extras which added to a great experience.
Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear RD4219,

I believe you were part of the Bailey birthday party and it was pleasure to have your party visit us as some of your guests did on Christmas day.

Your kind words and comments have been passed onto all my staff.

With regards to refurbishment thank you for your comments about the rooms being adequate. My partner Hannah and I are very passionate about ensuring the right refurbishments take place at the right time and yes we admit there is more we can do but Rome was no built in a day and we will get there eventually.

We truly look forward to your family visiting again in the future and thank you once again for taking time to leave your comments and your 5 stars.

Kindest Regards]

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here on four or five previous occasions and visited last week for an early dinner.

I always find the room very peaceful and calm. The tables are large and well spaced. The service was very friendly and efficient.

We all ate three courses - five different starters, three different mains and five different desserts. The only criticism was of the garlic mushroom starter which was far too dry although the flavour was good. The fish dishes, in particular, were excellent. Well cooked and with unusual but tasty accompaniments. The desserts were all shared around the table and were enjoyed by all.

All in all an excellent meal in an excellent environment and we are all looking forward to a return visit soon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
derbyshirew, Manager at Monsal Head Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Happyism,

Firstly let me thank you for your repeat business maybe on your next visit you would like to sign up for our complimentary loyalty card which will give you 15% off any future visits.

We are very happy that all of your party enjoyed their meals and we have also taken on board your point regarding the mushroom crumble which is now served with more mushrooms and less crumble.

As a new manager here at the Monsal Head I am delighted to point out that this is also my first of what will hopefully be many responses on Truip Advisor due to having been working at the Monsal Head Hotel my general Managers have seen the potential in me and given me the opportunity to progress within the company.

So pleased watch this space and sorry if my grammar is not perfect this is the Polish part of me but not to worry as my manager will check for spelling before I post any feedback.

Once again thank you for your wonderful comments and I will ensure all our team are informed.

Katie Surma-Thain
Hotel Supervisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
Bagshaw Hall
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District

Been to Monsal Head Hotel? Share your experiences!