“Tranquil, panelled luxury”

Ranked #57 of 88 Restaurants in Bakewell
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My kind of place where if taken would be really pleased! Spent my first night of married life here, simply wonderful. Been here many times since, great food. When I eat here, I remind myself that. Food really can be this good. Sometimes I forget.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I ate there on 13th March with some family friends. The food was out of this world, the service unobtrusive and above all the atmosphere was quiet. We were able to have great discussions and the really the proprietor could not have done more for us if we had been royalty.
I have read other reviews on this page and it seems that many people expect a small hotel to provide the same facilities as a chain. At Ashford they have their own way of doing things and it isn't cheap ! But I feel that I had the most enjoyable meal I have had in years !

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Ashford on the Water near Bakewell is a beautiful Villiage. Whilst there yesterday, my wife and I decided to take advantage of the two courses for £12 offer for lunch at the 3 star Riverside House. The setting looked idyllic in the autumn sunshine. Perhaps we should have chosen to eat outside, as inside was decidedly gloomy. The term waiting for God sprang to mind. Lunch was served in the conservatory, with no view whatsoever. The main dining rooms may have a view of the river, which would have been an improvement, but we were not given the choice. Lunch itself in our opinion, was very average, nothing to write home, or, tripadvisor about, but for £12 we would not have complained. The bill showed a bar cost of £16, which seemed a lot for what we had had. When I asked about it, I was told the lager, ( very ordinary ), was £6 per pint. I can not imagine where they got this price from. I can only hope they put the consderable profit towards a hotel face lift.

1  Thank petersongs
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We had arranged a double wedding for my two daughters at this venue. On arrival of the wedding guests the staff were unresponsive and it was a bit shambolic. The decor in the room used for the ceremony lacked atmosphere. The meal was served in a surly manner and although my partner had duck, and I had beef they were similar in they were both tough. I told the waitress and we were supplied with steak knives!. Both meals were returned almost in tact but there was no apology or refund. I did not take the matter any further so as not to spoil the girls wedding day, but as I was footing the bill it spoiled mine!

3  Thank farmerdrama
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We decided to stay at the Riverside House Hotel prior to going to a family party. When I rang to book I was a little put off by the cool attitude of the woman taking the booking and in view of previous reviews wondered if I was doing the right thing in making the reservation. When we arrived we were given a warm welcome, shown to our very nice room which whilst small was well furnished and had lots of extras such as a decanter of sherry, fruit, chocolates and home made biscuits, tea and a cafetiere of coffee, The room was warm and the bathroom excellent (although it did turn into a wet room after a shower!) We went to the lounge to read and have a cup of tea which was promptly served in a friendly manner. Later we had an excellent dinner beautifully served. Breakfast was a delight and again beautifully served. Everything about the hotel was good, professional and cosy. An excellent experience..