“Sunday lunch tradition!”

Dining options: Reservations
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch tradition!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

You know how our lives can be rushed, supported by electronic media and with the constant need to think of more than one thing at once? Well....here you can experience the traditional, lengthy, family Sunday lunch in calm, hushed but not oppressive comfort. The hotel has some lovely public rooms (we had a good look around) and surrounded by beautifully kept antiques, oak panelling and a lovely garden our party of four enjoyed a three course Sunday lunch of beautifully cooked and presented food with discreet and friendly service. I was surprised to receive a small bottle of ginger beer instead of ginger ale to mix with my whisky but that was the only mistake. Our lunch was good value and overall a pleasant experience. We shall return!

• Visited June 2013

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A real letdown”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We took friends there for lunch recently. As none of us had been before but had seen the hotel and its lovely setting, we were all looking forward to the experience. It was an experience but not one that we shall be repeating. Note to the management:
1. Do not park newly arrived guests in the hotel foyer and leave them without a menu or a drink.
2. When you finally dole out the menus, provide a wine list at the same time.
3. Smile and say something hospitable.
4. Train you waiting staff in the protocols of waiting at table i.e. they should not pick up diners' water glasses when filling them and they should note who is the "host" and serve them last.
5. Don't make your guests "an offer they can't refuse" such as "would you like your coffees in the foyer?" just because you want to get on with your own plans. They don't want to see or hear the housekeeper and her vacuum cleaner heading off in the direction of their still-warm seats.
6. Don't leave your guests waiting to pay and leave in a now deserted building. It's only 2.30 in the afternoon.
7. Tell the chef that there is more than one salad in the world and, while his is OK, we don't necessarily want it accompanying every dish.
8. Why do you choose to put your lunchtime guests in what must have been the old staff quarters? The room is dark and has the feel of a semi-basement with those high,tiny windows with no view at all. The name of the place is Riverside but you'd never guess that there was one when you are eating a meal there.
All in all it is a disappointing and fairly depressing place.

• Visited April 2013
Bakewell
“Tranquil, panelled luxury”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My kind of place where if taken would be really pleased! Spent my first night of married life here, simply wonderful. Been here many times since, great food. When I eat here, I remind myself that. Food really can be this good. Sometimes I forget.

Visited December 2012
Cambridge
“Quiet Restaurant for Friendly Discussion”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I ate there on 13th March with some family friends. The food was out of this world, the service unobtrusive and above all the atmosphere was quiet. We were able to have great discussions and the really the proprietor could not have done more for us if we had been royalty.
I have read other reviews on this page and it seems that many people expect a small hotel to provide the same facilities as a chain. At Ashford they have their own way of doing things and it isn't cheap ! But I feel that I had the most enjoyable meal I have had in years !

• Visited March 2013
sheffield england
“lager be somewhere else!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Ashford on the Water near Bakewell is a beautiful Villiage. Whilst there yesterday, my wife and I decided to take advantage of the two courses for £12 offer for lunch at the 3 star Riverside House. The setting looked idyllic in the autumn sunshine. Perhaps we should have chosen to eat outside, as inside was decidedly gloomy. The term waiting for God sprang to mind. Lunch was served in the conservatory, with no view whatsoever. The main dining rooms may have a view of the river, which would have been an improvement, but we were not given the choice. Lunch itself in our opinion, was very average, nothing to write home, or, tripadvisor about, but for £12 we would not have complained. The bill showed a bar cost of £16, which seemed a lot for what we had had. When I asked about it, I was told the lager, ( very ordinary ), was £6 per pint. I can not imagine where they got this price from. I can only hope they put the consderable profit towards a hotel face lift.

• Visited October 2012