“WONDERFUL PARTY”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Stones Restaurant

Stones Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Stones Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 122 Restaurants in Matlock
Price range: US$23 - US$61
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Dinner - Tuesday to Saturday 6.30-9pm. Lunch - Wednesday to Saturday 12-2pm. Tucked away in the heart of idyllic Matlock, Derbyshire, Stones is a modern, eclectic restaurant with a stylish, welcoming interior and a superb modern British menu. The restaurant, which added a new riverside conservatory in May 2013, is jointly run by Kevin Stone, Head Chef, partner, Jade Himsworth and sister, Katie Temple. Stones' riverside conservatory overlooks the babbling River Derwent. The menus change seasonally to reflect the very best in local produce, and the wine to match the food. Stones' philosophy is to provide a fantastic dining experience in a relaxed setting. The dining room which is popular with couples, locals and visitors, is a perfect place for romantic, family or business meals. Stones has been awarded two AA Rosettes for culinary excellence.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL PARTY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

The weekend before Christmas we took over this restaurant to celebrate my husband's 65th birthday with 30 family and friends. We have been many times and this is, without doubt, our favourite place in all the world!! The food and service are 6star and they made our day very special. I am diabetic and one of the family has a LOT of food intolerances. No worries here. Kevin the owner/chef always comes up with something special and you don't have to worry about it being suitable...he understands dietary requirements in a way I have not found anywhere else. I could go on and on and it would all be good - HIGHLY recommended.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank REVFS

Tullamore, Ireland
“Wow, this is worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Visited with my sister on the 8th December 2011 having travelled from the west coast of Ireland and it was well worth the trip. We were delayed on the M1 (N) due to a three car pile up and rang to say we'd be late. This was no problem and our table was kept for us. We'd never visited before but found it by an internet search and went because of the reviews it had received and was not disappointed! It is a little difficult to find - but look for the antique shop in Matlock and walk towards the direction of the traffic lights and you're there - right on the corner - go down the steep step. Park in the train station accross the road - a minutes walk away. The food was to die for, perfect proportions, temperature, presentation and service. A lovely wine menu to compliment the food. Attentive staff and a very nice ambience. It's a little pricier but then it's in a different league. I can't say enough about this place and I'll ]certainly be back with hubby who can't wait. There is nowhere like it in Matlock (that I could see).

• Visited December 2011
matlock
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

quality food in the centre of matlock. Service first class and you never come away disappointed.

Visited November 2011
Nottinghamshire, England, UK
“Even better than last time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

I can't praise this little restaurant enough. The food is fantastic and the service is excellent. Another wonderful relaxing evening. I was so disappointed to find out that they were fully booked up for Christmas Day lunch.

Visited November 2011
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful eating experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We visit Stones on 30/08/2011 whilst on holiday in the Peak District. After reading some wonderful reviews from TripAdvisor we had high expectation and we were not disappointed, it certainly lived up to the hype.

Even before we got there we got a glimpse of their excellent customer service. I called Stones (2 weeks before) as the groupon deal sold out before the expected due date. Katie (one of the owners) agreed that we can still have the same deal even though they have sold out.

So we end up paying only £30 for 2 starters, 2 main and 2 cocktails, an absolute bargain! Even though we went on a Groupon offer we were treated as full-paying customers.

The restaurant was difficult to find as it is tuck away in almost underground corner of the street, but ask any of the local and they will point you in the right direction.

Your initial thought as you step in is “this is small”, it felt like a cosy sitting room but it was really ok (not too busy or noisy), nice atmosphere and good background music. The deco was pretty amazing, nice furniture, their good eye for detail even extend to the toilet

The waitress and Katie were attentive but not intrusive. Katie worked the room beautifully, pausing for a few minutes to chat to everyone whilst serving them, the best service ever. The service was so good that my husband was actually begging me to have dessert but I had to use all of my will power to turn it down as I was so stuffed after my main

My husband and I enjoyed our starters and main, they were wonderfully cooked and seasoned, pretty good cocktails too.

I had one tiny misgiving that is not even worth mentioning as the food and service total eclipsed it.

This restaurant is an absolute gem, I just wished there was one in London, will definitely recommend this place to any one who find themselves in Matlock: - wonderful food, excellent customer service and charming setting.

I will suggest that you make a reservation before going.

Thank you for a wonderful eating experience!

• Visited August 2011