“Warmest of welcomes”

Ranked #9 of 51 Matlock B&B and Inns
Thundridge, United Kingdom
“Warmest of welcomes”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

A flying visit after a cancellation at our previous choice of destination fully worked out for the best. The room may not have been huge but that was made up fare their personal touches and individual warm cosy style of the environment as a place to sleep it can't be faulted. Real time however was a fantastic breakfast including home-made jams, fresh fruit, first class full English (including a delicious mushroom topped with cheese) and as much toast as you could wish for. Good food, great company. The owners came through for a lovely morning chat sharing our mutual experiences of South Africa and making this a place we would love to return to one-day

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was lovely to chat about an area that we both know well. We do take great care that our rooms are as welcoming and comfortable as we can make them and our breakfasts are always a high point for our guests, especially John's mushroom! Looking forward to your return visit.
Anne & John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at Ellen house on the 16th Nov for one night. We are looking to purchase a B&B and wanted to look at what we need to do to get the excellent ratings this B&B gets. We had a wonderful stay, the hosts where very helpful and we had a lovely breakfast.I now can see why they get such good reviews.I would certainly recommend the Ellen house to stay. We will be back.Adrian & Julie.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for your recommendation, glad you found that we live up to expectations. It will be a pleasure to have you again, looking forward to your return visit.
John & Anne
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Recommended by in-laws as somewhere to use as a base, the warmth of the greeting expended to us recently was very welcome. Ann and John, the Proprietors, could not do enough to help. Rooms exceptional - we especially appreciated the "twiddly bits" that I guess all guests benefitted from - chocolates and home baked biscuits or buns etc! No extra charge!
Little difficult to find in the first instance but extremely glad that we did. Matlock Town Centre within easy walking distance even for me and Matlock Bath only a mile or so away.
It is our intention to return but as there are only a very few letting rooms, we shall have to take our chances!

Room Tip: Only one family room out of four in total so get in quick!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you very much for your warm and lovely words, it was a pleasure to have you. We are indeed close to the town centre and once you have parked your car you can walk everywhere. Chocolates and home baked goodies are always waiting for guests, glad you enjoyed it! Hope we see you again when you visit this area again.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed one night on a sightseeing trip to Chatsworth house.
Lovely twin room with ensuite bathroom. Anne's homemade flapjacks were waiting for us on the tea and coffee tray. Don't miss them,they are in the biscuit jar. I would have stayed another night just to have some more of these.
Johns breakfast was perfectly cooked with little extras like cheese topped mushroom and Potato dish,something a bit like Dauphinois. Fresh fruit to start and Anne's sisters award winning jams and marmalades to finish. My friend said she found the cooked breakfast a bit small but it was quality over quantity. Forgot to say at the beginning,very comfy bed. We had a room at the front and it was very quiet and I'm a light sleeper.

Room Tip: This was an ensuite twin room at the front of the house on the first floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. We are so glad to hear that you were pleased with our room. John does take great care with his breakfast, and we use sausages and bacon from our local award winning butcher (and of course free range eggs!). Our amazing range of home made jams and marmalades are also very popular with our guests. So sorry to hear your friend's comment, please come back soon so that we can rectify that.
Chipping Campden
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Another lovely stay at this fantastic bed and breakfast. The weekend went too quickly! John's Eggs Benedict was beautiful, I shall definately have this again next year! Thank you Anne for the muffins on Saturday, they was lovely.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us again and for posting such a lovely review. I have warned John that he must get ready to do his Eggs Benedict on a daily basis when you move in! Hoping to see you again next year.
Anne
Chicago
Reviewed 4 October 2013

So many wonderful things to say about Ellen House. Location was perfect to village center, to the rail station and both bus stops, so no rental car is even needed. (The bus stop at the Co-op Grocery Store offers frequent and easy, easy access to Chatsworth). Also, the house had access to two different trails (Limestone Way, Derwent Valley Heritage Trail). I took the Derwent river trail from Darley Dale right to the street leading up to Ellen House.

Anne had left some fudgy, homebaked cookies for my arrival, and the room was lovely, and so comfortable. Bath was ensuite, with a bathtub, and everything was very clean and well-maintained. Rooms were very quiet.

My breakfast order was put in the night before, and John made a wonderful vegetarian breakfast for me (oatcakes with various garden veggies). Even the jams were made by Anne’s sister and were wonderful. I'm trying to remember the quirky combination of fruits, and wish I would've written it down. (But it was delicious.)

For my one night there, I explored the village, and had dinner at the Thorntree Inn up the hill in the village. A little under a mile, but up a very steep hill which offers great views enroute. Wednesdays is “Pie Night” and I got there early. Once there, the people were extraordinarily friendly to me, and I was invited to sit with a couple of the locals.

John and Anne are lovely, warm people and I had a lovely time at their b&b. A great place to stay, and I thought the rate was wonderful for the experience I received.

Room Tip: A great b&b, especially if you don't want to rent a car. Rail station and bus stations offe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
What a lovely review, thank you very much! We are indeed situated in a very convenient spot, close to everything but on a quiet road. We do try to offer our vegetarian and vegan guests something different and have a menu with several choices. Do not feel bad if you can't remember all Adri's jams, there are too many to remember as she is constantly on the look out for new combinations! So glad you enjoyed your stay in Matlock, we also think it is a lovely place!
London
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I came here for a getaway with my boyfriend. I can honestly say we have never felt so welcome anywhere. Anne and John were so welcoming and polite, taking time to speak to us and get to know us. Our room was lovely and spacious, very clean and felt like a home from home. Every day we were left little home baked goods in our room which we felt was such a nice personal touch.

Every breakfast we were treated to fruit and home made crumbles, as well as home made jams and marmalades. The cooked breakfasts were healthy and fuelled you up for the day. Safe to say we loved the grilled mushrooms with Stilton cheese!

The location is excellent, a less than five minute walk from the station/Sainsburys, yet it is a quiet location off the main road. The village shops and restaurants were a short walk away too.

We cannot wait to come back here again next year. It was simply beautiful. Thank you, John and Anne.

Steph and Bonn x

• Stayed September 2013
EllenHouse, Owner at Ellen House, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
A lovely review, thank you very much! I am lucky to have a sister who makes my jams and marmalades, and our bacon and sausages come from our local butcher who recently won the best local producer award, so we know our products are top quality. My crunchies are always a crowd pleaser and what can I say about John's mushrooms, they are so popular I have promised to include them in a recipe book when we retire! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, you were lovely guests and it will be great to have you back again.
Anne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matlock
Premier Inn Matlock
#2 of 51 in Matlock
Riverbank Guest House
Riverbank Guest House
#5 of 51 in Matlock

Been to Ellen House? Share your experiences!