“Best Ever Indian Meal As Awarded by err... us”
Review of The Shalimar

The Shalimar
Ranked #2 of 130 Restaurants in Matlock
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A rainy arrival saw us greeted by a staff member with umbrella to escort us in, so this review is probably best started with a comment on the staff at the restaurant. Attentive without being overbearing, good humoured and helpful, they were clearly proud and enthusiastic about what they do. They clearly wanted us to enjoy their food and our evening. When ordering our main course a suggestion was made to my wife that she might enjoy an alternative to the Passanda dish, and an offer was made to bring both the Passanda and the other sauce to try before ordering. Both were equally delicious. My wife opted for the alternative (Macken Tikka).

Everything in the meal, which we shared, was quality, and we would be grateful if our compliments could be passed on to the chef.

The only thing niggling away at me as I ate was that we live 3 hours away from this place (having a break in the Peak District). I've decided to address this problem by home cooking, and now envisage many happy hours of cursing in the kitchen as my creations fail to live up to The Shalimar experience. So thanks for that!

Back home now I just had to check the negative reviews (there will always be a few it seems). I found myself reading them out to my wife as I was astounded at what I was reading. Please take no notice of them. Just go to this place if you enjoy Indian food.

Oh, and at the end of the meal we happened to mention we were in the area for my wife's birthday; a tasty little sponge cake with candle arrived! (we really weren't looking for anything like that folks, but thanks for the lovely touch).

We definitely recommend anyone visiting the area comes to your lovely restaurant, and our thanks again to all.

1  Thank Phil B
The_Shalimar_DD, Manager at The Shalimar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review! Your observations and showers of compliments have been relayed to our staff and we accept it with pride. We also gave the chef the special praise that you asked to be passed on. We look forward to you return visit when you are next in the area, and maybe you can ask if you can see the chef prepare your dish and we will do all we can to make sure that it happens, (although we are not giving away any secret recipes.) We strive constantly to exceed your expectations and we are delighted to know that you had a memorable time with us here at The Shalimar.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Living near Bradford and having a huge choice of places to eat curry, its still worth the travel time to go to the Shalimar. My in laws live I Darley Dale and are so lucky to have this restaurant near by. We went for my birthday and it was a lovely experience. Nothing was too much trouble and my mother in law waseven given sauces to sample before she made a final decision on what to order. The staff were so friendly, the food was gorgeous and the owner a genuinely lovely guy. We could have chatted to him all night and he even gave us a lift home. I hope he one day has a chain of these type of restaurants, with a couple up north ! I could eat there every day, delicious :)

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are delighted you thoroughly enjoyed the experience that The Shalimar offered. We have no plans to expand just yet but, we look forward to your continued visits for more memorable times at the Shalimar

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice when your daughter and son in law pay the bill! From the moment we arrived Ali and his staff couldn't do enough for us.The tables are well spaced and you get the table for the night so no rush to finish. Nice conservatory to chill before or after your dinner away from other guests. I particularly liked the fact they check on the level of spice you like in your dish. Ali even gave us a sample to check. The final touch was when they bought out a cake and candle and a complimentary drink.I couldn't have wished for a more relaxed and enjoyable evening. Ali didn't know at the time that I was sampling his food for recomendations for our guest house clients. Needless to say he's on our list!!
Many thanks we'll be back.
Roger and Maureen
The Cables and Stonelodge B and B's

1  Thank thecables
The_Shalimar_DD, Manager at The Shalimar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for the fantastic review, your observations and showers of compliments have been relayed to our staff and we accept it with pride.
We strive constantly to exceed expectations of our customers and we are delighted to know that you all had a memorable time with us here at The Shalimar. We look forward to seeing you again next time

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Warm welcoming service and superb food. Really pleased we chose this restaurant for our meal out in holiday. The food was delicious and wouldn't hesitate to go back again

The Shalimar thanks you for your lovely feedback and praise. It is our constant endeavour to succeed and delight all our guests, allowing them to dine in a relaxed spacious environment

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We happened to be driving through Matlock on a journey home from Derby to York and found the Shalimar on tripadvisor so gave it a go. We were not disappointed! All of the staff were incredibly friendly and well mannered. The food was second to none, with plenty of options for vegetarians, and also didn't cost the earth. There are also several draught beers available at the bar. The restaurant is nicely furnished and the chairs very comfortable, with ample space between tables to give you a little privacy. All in all, a lovely impromptu meal on our drive home, would certainly visit again next time we're in the area.

1  Thank leeds_lifeguard

Thank you for taking time out to visit us on your way home. Your praising feedback and recommendation has been relayed to all our staff at The Shalimar, and we certainly look forward to seeing you next time you are passing through the area.