“Beautiful Country Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lea Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matlock
Lea Hall
Ranked #44 of 51 Matlock B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Country Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Lea Hall and would thoroughly recommend it. It is in a quiet setting and all that can be heard in the evening is birdsong, which is beautiful. The bedroom was full of character, with a large and comfortable bed. Nice bathroom too and everything was meticulously clean. We went on a Secret Escapes break which included nice touches such as Champagne and chocolates and Lolly (together with partner Steve) who run the Hall was so welcoming and friendly that you felt immediately at home. Steve cooks a mean breakfast too - delicious. Lea Hall is a perfect base for sightseeing in the Peak District, our favourite day out being Chatsworth House - completely gorgeous house and grounds. The Crich Tramway Museum & Village is worth a visit too.

1 Thank Zia1518

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

It is what is claims to be a lovely old country hall with rooms. The bed was so large and comfortable we found it hard to get out for breakfast each morning. It was nothing like a large 4 star hotel stay, quiet and peacefull with no one rushing about which meant you could relax anywhere around the hall. Breakfast which is all the food they do is great so you find other places to eat at so this means the dinning room is free during the day for laptop surfing and you won't be disturbed.
Basicly if you want a stress fee stay in a great location in the country in a vintage building with no mod cons away from work telephones then its perfect. From working in large branded 4 star hotels i found it odd but a pleasant odd which meant the 2 days we stayed there were enjoyed even more as your not tripping over housekeepers in large corridors as you couldn't even get a trolley up the stairs. What a great place to get away from it all at!

Room Tip: This is not a hotel its an old building so don't expect 4 star modern hotel equipment but a rela...
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have just returned from a most enjoyable weekend stay at Lea Hall. Each room was quite individual with a lovely shabby chic feel. The bed was very comfortable, perfect pillows all lovely and clean. I stayed in room 5 which I found to be cute and just perfect. The head room could be a problem for taller guests but not for me, i found it cosy, quiet and private up at the top of the house. The staff are very friendly and helpful and are clearly proud to work in such a lovely old house.

Room Tip: The sloping roof in room 5 not suitable for taller guests, however it is very cosy and comfortable i...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in this lovely establishment which was where Florence Nightingale spent some of her childhood. We had a deal with Secret Escapes as did one or two others who were staying there at the same time. As part of the deal we had Champagne and Roses Chocolates (in a heart shaped box) on our arrival and a turn down service on the first night with 2 heart shaped shortbread biscuits and a flask of Hot Chocolate to go to bed on (Yummy). Breakfast was was well presented and nicely cooked. (I had Smoked Salmon and Scrambles Eggs whereas my wife had the Full English (meats locally sourced). Everyone sat at a very long table and this made for a very amiable start to the day with each of us exchanging our stories. We met some lovely people and the managers of the house looked after us very well. Dinner was not available as there is not a Dinner Service (But the pub in the village does nice food) Our room was very pleasant and the bed was very comfortable. Our second nightly was disturbed by noisy guests in the room below us but this was not the fault of the management, just inconsiderate people. We shall most certainly be going again in the future and recommend anyone to visit and stay here as it has lots of character. We understand that the whole house can be hired privately on a self-catering basis as well as on a bed and breakfast basis. Do try this place we are sure you will love it.

Room Tip: We had Room 2 which was very nice (but mind your head)
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We had a one night stay at this property, booked through Secret escapes and enjoyed our stay. We arrived at 4pm and met Lolly who gave us a quick tour of the house and showed us to our room 4, which is an attic room at the top of the house.
The room itself is accessed through the bathroom/dressing room which had a free standing slipper bath, which we liked and there was nice toiletries and fluffy towels. The bedroom itself had a very comfy king size bed. There was also a table and chairs, TV, kettle tea/coffee making etc.
Yes the ceilings are a little low and beamed and we did knock our heads on them, but they added character to the room. We didn't have a view from the window, but this wasn't a problem. The room was comfortable and very quiet which we liked.
We ordered a Mediterranean platter which we ate in our room with a bottle of champagne. There was a turn down service too with hot chocolate and home made shortbread which was nice touch. We also ordered our breakfast which was served in the communal dining room at the long table. This was very good. I had a full English and cereals and juice and toast, pot of tea etc. The service was very good.
I would not hesitate to come here again and would certainly recommend it. I probably wouldn't pay the full price, but the deal we got with secret escapes was very good.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

We’d planned a 2-day mid week break at Lea Hall in response to a Secret Escapes promotion. In the event we only stayed the first night.

On arrival we were very warmly greeted by Lolly.
Following a short tour of the ground floor we were impressed with the character and cleanliness of the house – we were then taken upstairs to our room!!!!
The disappointment I expressed when we entered the “attic box room” was clearly evident to Lolly. The cause of my disappointment was mainly fourfold: -
· A slipper bath that I would have great difficulty fitting in, even if there was sufficient headroom above to allow me to get in. (see photo)
· No shower, not even a shower fitting to the bath taps
· The difficulty I would experience when trying to access, let alone use, the toilet or hand basin sited behind the freestanding wardrobe. (see photo)
· The wonderful view of roofing tiles from the window!!! (see photo)
I drew these “issues” to Lolly’s attention and asked if there was an alternative room available. Lolly advised that all rooms were taken, with one exception and that was a room that was out of commission due to a maintenance issue.
We reluctantly agreed to give our allocated room No.5 a try – in the event it proved to be as unacceptable as we had thought it would be (even my wife had to stoop slightly to access the toilet/wash basin area – I had to stoop considerably). I could neither bath nor shower and the view was depressing. I am 6’2” and my wife is 5’2” tall.
Next morning, after enjoying an excellent communal breakfast at the “long table”, I told Lolly that we were leaving without staying our second prepaid night. I confirmed the reason for our early departure was the unacceptable nature of our allocated room.
We were offered and shown the “out of commission” room. There was still clearly work in progress, but Steve felt it could be available later in the day - in view of the fact that we had been assured on check-in that no other rooms were available we had already packed and mentally committed ourselves to a drive back to Yorkshire – we declined the offer.
After returning home I took my complaint up with the property owner and achieved a partial refund - calculated by taking the first night rate and the commission paid to Secret escapes from the prepaid amount. I don’t see why I should pick up the Secret Escapes commission for a cancellation brought about by being allocated an unsuitable room. As an alternative to the partial refund I was offered a voucher for a one-night stay!! So as not to get into protracted debate on the matter I opted to take the partial refund. The owners clearly have no concept of good customer relations – I had the choice of either a partial refund or incurring the cost of another return drive to Derbyshire to get my second night. No gesture to make up for the disappointment we suffered for having to curtail out planned stay because of unsuitable accommodation. The customer friendly approach to dealing with our disappointment would have been to offer us the chance of taking another two day break at Lea Hall without further charge – after all that is what we booked and paid for and is what we did not get.

Apart from the “problems” with Room 5, Lea Hall is a very friendly, very clean full of character property that should have provided us with an interesting and relaxing midweek break.

We would be prepared to recommend Lea Hall to others, provided they are not allocated Room 5 – unless they are only 5 feet tall, don’t want to shower and have an interest in ancient roof tiles.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank landcruiserBJ
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I wanted a quiet place to stay for a couple of days and fancied something a little unusual. We found Lea Hall on the internet and, as it looked wonderfully historic and period perfect, we gave it a try. What a gem! The house is steeped in history and you must appreciate this, don't expect a modern bland hotel room because you won't get it. What you will get is an historic Dickensian experience with stunning attention to detail. Resident hosts are Steve and Lolly, lovely friendly people who went out of their way to make us fell extremely welcome and comfortable. Steve's breakfast was inovative, fresh and fantastic whilst Lolly's housekeeping was first rate. We cannot rate our stay at Lea Hall highly enough. Very much recommended.

Martyn Marrocco.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank martyn m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matlock
Alison House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Darley Dale
Premier Inn Matlock
Premier Inn Matlock
#2 of 4 in Matlock

Been to Lea Hall? Share your experiences!