“Perfect for big groups”

Review of Thornleigh

Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV. Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV.
Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Luxury hot tub in enclosed landscaped garden with wooden seating and cycle storage.
Downstairs bedroom with en suite
Large top floor bedroom with super king or 2 singles plus luxury en suite
Games room with sauna, pool/table tennis table/table football plus table top skittles
Double bedroom plus en suite
Roll top bath in family bathroom.
bedroom with 2 singles and period fireplace
Luxury hot tub
Hall Leys Park Matlock
Hall Leys Park band stand Matlock
Riber castle Matlock
Peak District dry stone wall
nosy Peak District sheep
Relax at Thornleigh after that walk
stepping stones
Peak District
Dry stone wall
Mam Tor ridge
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

claire118...
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Perfect for big groups”
Reviewed 17 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We had the best time at Thornleigh during our family reunion. It was really well equipped and clean (I am very pedantic about cleanliness). It felt like a home without feeling like you were in someone else's house.

The kitchen was fabulous, the 12 of us spent most of the weekend all sat round the table catching up and when we did go out it was so central everything was easy to get to.

I would definitely recommend.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Bhawkswor...
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016

Thornleigh was lovely to stay at for my future daughter in laws hen party every one had a great time kitchen was great for everyone to get together and had a lovely meal at Viva Italian
All the young ones really enjoyed the hot tub and we booked a visit from the visiting spa which was fantastic and relaxing

Rooms Location
Cleanliness
Sarah A
“Perfect house for Hen Weekend or trip away with family and friends”
Reviewed 2 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
people found this review helpful

I booked to stay at Thornleigh almost a year before our planned visit after falling in love with the place via the pitctures on the website. I had searched and searched for a place that met the requirements stipulated by my best friend for her hen weekend (she wanted a group of 13, in a nice house, with a hot tub and a wood burner). I think I eventually found Thornleigh via one of the hen party websites. I contacted the owners and they got back to me promptly to confirm availability. They were also on hand in the months leading up to our visit to answer any questions or queries we had (regarding parking, check in etc). At one point, I had a little wobble following reading some reviews on trip advisor, but the owners were able to put my mind at rest and even offered to let us stay at one of their other properties if we felt that Thornleigh wouldn't be right for us. In the end, I decided to stick with my original decision and stay at Thornleigh and I am really glad I did. I was organising this hen weekend on my own which was a huge responsibility but in choosing to stay at Thornleigh, we couldn't fail to have a wonderful time. it is situated right in the centre if Matlock, 1-2 mins walk for the high street where there are shops, restaurants and bars as well as some nice places to walk.
We arrived on Friday at 2pm (the owners had been really amenable and allowed us to check in an hour early) and we were so impressed with what we found. the house was really cold when we arrived but soon warmed up once the heating was on. we decoarted it with bunting, banners, confetti and pictures which we stuck up all over the house.
The house is extremely spacious, all the rooms are beautifully decorated and we were able to chose to have single beds in most rooms which was great.
The kitchen is a real asset and is spacious and fully equipped with every kitchen utensil you could imagine. there is a lovely big fridge freezer and I made the mistake of bringing two bags of ice, but this wasn't necessary as the freezer was already full of ice!
The living room is nice and spacious and the only downside I found was that the sofas are plasticy leather and not very comfortable for lounging around on, but this was a minor aside and in no way took away from the charm and cozy feel of the house as a whole.
The hot tub was the main highlight of the weekend for us and we had such a fabulous time on the friday evening enjoying it. Such a luxury!
During the weekend, we had a lovely lunch at Stones restaurant in Matlock who offer a discount for guests staying at Thornleigh. We also did a champagne and fizz tasting with Ingrid and Chris from Peak Wine which I would highly recommend (you will taste some beautiful wines and also learn a lot!) and we had a lovely relaxing treatment with My Personal Sanctuary who came to the house on the Sunday and did massages, facials and pedicures which were truly divine. On the Sunday night we ordered an Indian takeaway from the Shalimar and it was the best curry I've ever had. We were so sad to leave on the Monday morning and my friend the bride to be, whose hen weekend it was, said it was one of the best weekends of her life.
I just want to address some of the comments made below by others as I lost a lot of sleep over whether this was the right place for our hen weekend. There are a lot of rules/signs around as well as the booking terms and conditions that request guests to be respectful with regarding to noise and to remember that Thornleigh is in a residential area. Not only is it in a residential area, it is a semi detached house. We adhered to the rules of not going in the hot tub after 11pm (we were out by 10pm every night) and no one was in the garden after 11pm, aside from perhaps popping out for a cigarette. we also ensured that we kept the noise down in the kitchen after 11pm as the kitchen is directly joined to the house next door. However, we were by no means silent after this time, we still had music on in the living room and were talking and enjoying each other's company and going up and down the stairs. I fully expected that the neighbours would come round and complain having read the reviews below and I was all geared up to apologise profusely and instructed the group to quieted down, but they didn't come round and complaint. Not once. So I assume they either couldn't hear us or are much more tolerant that the reviews below have made them out to be. What I am trying to say is, PLEASE do not let these comments worry you or put you off. I felt so much responsibility in organising this weekend and was genuinely worried and upset by the reviews, but they were completely unfounded. We couldn't have asked for a better house for our weekend or better hosts.
The only things I would recommend to the owners for next time is that they perhaps but hand soap in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, that was literally the only thing that was lacking.

Liked best: Location and Hot tub
Liked least: not being able to be in the hot tub after 11pm
Travelling group: Large Group
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Tom F
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Great for a big group to get together”
Reviewed 15 January 2016 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

We had a fab time at Thornleigh for a 30th birthday celebration. The large kitchen is a great asset for the house, and is fab for playing games etc. The kitchen had all the utensils one could need!

All of the bedrooms are a good size, although you won't be spending much time in them as the hot tub and games room are great fun. The hot tub kept its heat well in November.

The house is really well located for Matlock, and there is a small co op nearby if you need to stock up on more food and drink. The owners were really helpful in providing instructions on where to park additional cars nearby for free.

The only thing which I think would improve the house is a slight reduction in the amount of laminated rules and instructions everywhere.

Travelling group: Large Group
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
MrsNJF
“Mrs ”
Reviewed 25 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

A thoroughly perfect house for a wonderful group celebration.

The location is very central which obviously has it's benefits too. A lovely stroll away from matlock centre and the beautiful park.

As for the comments about the noise levels, don't be put off. As long as you respect the requests of the owners (no outdoor hot tubbing and partying after 11pm!) you'll be fine! We had 3 nights here and were up drinking and talking in the kitchen past 11pm but just didn't have music blaring etc. We saw our neighbour when leaving and she was very polite and didn't mention any concerns.

The bedrooms are all of a very high standard and the en suites came in very handy for 12 female guests!

The kitchen was the general communal room with a fantastic large table to allow all 12 of us to dine together.

The hot tub is an extra luxurious touch (along with the sauna and pool table in the basement). It didn't matter that it was October when we were using it due to the stylish but functional over head cover. Perfect!

Finally, I really want to comment on how Mark and Rachel went above and beyond in assisting me with planning our weekend. It was a hen do for a very special friend and from my initial enquiries about booking, Mark and Rachel did everything they could to ensure the weekend was a hit. And it certainly was! From advice regarding activities, to allowing me early entry to dress the house, and to organising postage of a docking station I forgot, I really couldn't have asked for any more. Thank you so much.

I look forward to thinking of my next excuse for a return visit to Thornleigh!
Highly recommended.

MichelleT...
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Fabulous house to share with friends”
Reviewed 29 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I have just returned from the most amazing hen weekend. The accommodation was absolutely brilliant for what we were looking for. The house is beautifully decorated, clean and very homely with everything you could hope for.. The kitchen was awesome and definitely the focal point. Great hot tub too. Very well located for a little wander into town with some nice pubs and restaurants plus lovely little shops. The only negative is the noise restriction, the house is attached and therefore the neighbours don't really like singing! When on a hen do - this will happen! Fact! This was the only downside.
I would definitely recommend :-)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Layout and feel.
Liked least: Noise restriction.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Large groups
Management Response
2 Oct 2015
Thanks for the lovely review--glad you enjoyed your stay
Mark and Rachel
Mauilamb
Nottingham
“Unsuitable for people who enjoy conversations”
Reviewed 8 September 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

The main problem with Thornleigh it is a semi and attached to another property; this is not the way it is advertised and none of the photographs indicate this to be the case. It is advertised as suitable for large groups and hen parties which is one of the main reasons we booked it, above others, despite the premium cost of £500 per night.

We were a hen party of 11, and respected the rule of being out of the garden and hot tub by 11 pm - in fact the second and third nights we didn't even go in the garden or hot tub at all. The kitchen though - which is beautiful and the heart of the home, and where we envisaged spending most of our time - is attached to the internal wall of the next house and apparently all conversation and music can be heard through the whole of next door. I feel for the neighbour - it must be a nightmare having a 'party house' arrive every weekend, and there is clearly an ongoing battle between this family and the owner - evidenced by the large signs up in the house stating 'We have had several complaints about noise from our neighbours... Please SHUSH!...the police station is down the road and will be called if noise is excessive...' etc. Not exactly the most welcoming of messages!

So after a complaint from the neighbour the first night, we moved from the kitchen the following night at 10 PM (after we had eaten) at which point the music - which wasn't excessive, just background - was turned off and we went to the living room which is on the side without neighbours. This was a big compromise on our parts as we wanted to be in the spacious kitchen where there was seating for us all. However, regardless of this, the owner then got in touch saying the neighbour has complained about music in the garden at midnight - it really wasn't warm enough for garden antics! - and that it was so loud it could be heard in every room. This simply wasn't the case and to us seemed like a clear demonstration of the ongoing war between these two people, which we were stuck in the middle of.

I am pregnant so can say with confident there was NO excessive noise or music AT ALL after 10 PM - we were actually playing Charades in the living room as it was the quietest game we knew!

I feel the owner's unwillingness to be clear when advertising about the house being attached to another (saying 'we have neighbours' is completely different), led to us booking somewhere that just wasn't suitable for purpose. We are mid-30s women, some of us not drinking - it really was not a wild weekend. However like most groups of friends, we wanted to talk and laugh into the evening, and this apparently is not acceptable at Thornleigh.

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
17 Sep 2015
Thank you for your comments, Please note our response below to another guest in the same party. We always reflect on our guests feedback on tripadvisor and our visitors book--comments taken from our guest book as below;
Feb 2015 "Amazing girly weekend away at Thorneligh, 11 girls for a 40th birthday celebration- we all thought the house was perfect". March 2015 "We all had a fantastic weekend away for a 30th birthday,good company and a great house to relax in". hen-do "the house is amazing, fab house for a large group". April 2015 "A fabulous 3 days at Thornleigh wifes 60th. wonderful facilities can't fault anything".April 2015 hen weekend" had a fab weekend at Thornleigh would definately recommend".May 2015 "I am so in love with this house, the hot tub the sauna, the kitchen table- perfect location, a hen do to remember". June 2015 "A great house for my hen weekend, everyone had a brilliant time. June 2015 "We had such a great time on my hen weekend and loved spending time in the big kitchen, would definately recommend".July 2015 hen weekend "The house was amazing everybody loved the hot tub and big dining area perfect location".July 2015 "The girls loved the hot tub and the kitchen was an amazing social space and we spent most of our time in it".July 2015 "Wonderful weekend with my 13 lovely hens, had great meals around the huge kitchen table, thank you for a great time". "kitchen table fab for sitting round" the hens."Thank you so much for a brilliant stay, rooms lovely hot tub so much fun, kitchen living room for socialising and catching up, a weekend to remember". August 2015 "What a fantastic week celebrating a 60th birthday,wonderful house with everything we needed and more, thank you".September 2015 "Thornleigh triumphs again, a joy to be here".Sept 2015 30th birthday celebrations "enjoyed spending time with my close friends, great house great atmosphere, sad to be leaving.."
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing