“Amazing food - Amazing Value”

The Rising Sun Inn Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 130 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband decided to go out for a day trip to carsington water and we stopped at the Rising Sun on the way home. The pub is beautifully decorated, I think they had just been newly refurbished. Anyway we were pleasantly greeted, I'd asked if we could bring the dog in and the tall gentleman behind the bar said we could, it's lovely to see a dog friendly pub. We were served promptly and took a seat. The menu is fantastic so much choice, however we decided on the fish and chips as we were informed it was fish night, great value £7.50 I think for fish and chips and a wine. The service was fantastic the food was the best pub food I have ever had. Next time we are in the area we will definitely be going here again.

stephenrisingsun, Owner at The Rising Sun Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Dear Mandye 1965

Thank you for your comments and we hope you enjoyed your visit to carsington waters its a fantastic bit of scenery.
The fish we use is pangasius which is a sustainable white fish farmed in Lancaster and certainly seems to sell well we are hoping to expand the fish night menu with a weekly special from our suppliers including line caught pollack or monkfish.
We hope you visit us again if you are in the area as there is still plenty to see around this area of Derbyshire
Steve & Laura

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We went last night for a birthday meal and firstly expected it to be fish night, which it wasn't although it seems to advertise itself as that?

Anyway, that wasn't a problem. We'd booked table for 7.00pm and we were there on time. We were finally asked for our orders at about 7.30 and got the starters by about 7.50. My prawn cocktail was a shrimp cocktail but was nice and well presented. The main meals were fine but again a long wait. The coffee I asked for at the end of the meal didn't materialise and the pudding my husband ordered came with custard rather than ice cream but we'd waited so long we accepted it and they kindly offered to knock it off the bill.

The problem seemed to be that the two waitresses in a busy pub and restaurant were having to work the bar and the dining room and it was just too much! They were friendly and showed no sign of being too busy but clearly they were. I'd worry if they considered the service was good or even normal.

Good refurbishment, good beers on offer, good value but the service needs to improve if they want to sell themselves as a foodie pub.

2  Thank Shirley R
stephenrisingsun, Owner at The Rising Sun Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Shirley

First of I want to apologies for disappointing meal at The Rising Sun
I am concerned by quite a few things in your post that we are working on rectifying. Since your visit we have hired a further 3 members of front of house staff as well as an apprentice to help in the kitchen which should hopefully avoid the situation you have described happening again.
Most of your review is self apparent but one question I have for you if you have the time to reply is about the Fish Night, As you visited on a Wednesday it was advertised as fish night what was it that led you to believe that it wasn't? Were you informed by a member of staff that it wasn't or was it a lack of detail inside describing the night that led you to believe that it wasn't?
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I trust that any further visits from yourselves will result in a much improved experience
Kind Regards

Steve

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Having stayed in a cottage just up the road from this lovely pub, we thought we should try it out & we were not disappointed at all- food was lovely, hot, fresh and locally sourced. We can highly recommend the whitebait, deep fried Brie and the rack of ribs were to die for! Service very quick and polite. Even dogs were allowed in the pub, great to see.
Drinks cost a little more than normal I felt but overall good value.

1  Thank roger2002636
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We've tried this newly refurbished pub twice now, in various combinations of 6 of us friends.
The refurbishments are great, now comfortable and attractive inside and out.

Great beers, decent wine.

The menu is fine though short on decent vegetarian options - the usual risotto etc.
I ordered a sirloin steak, medium, which came overdone and tough. peppercorn sauce a bit tasteless. others in group had gammon (very good), mixed grill (good), rump steak rare (good).
Chips a bit limp, needed crisping.

My main disappointment was lack of vegetables - the ubiquitous frozen peas just won't do!!

But lovely staff, nice atmosphere, trying very hard - has promise!!

Thank you for review and feed back we were hoping if you had the time would you be able to help us further by answering a couple of questions.
First of our sincere apologies that your Sirloin Steak was over cooked, Did the staff perform a table check and if they did did you inform the member of staff and if so did they offer to change to it?
Secondly did your steak come with Tomato's and Mushrooms?

We are working with John our Chef to increase the vegetarian options on the menu and hope to see extra options soon
Regards

Steve

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Great food, great value for money. Quiet but it was a weekday and it is out of the way a bit. Staff very friendly. Great potion sizes.
Reasonable priced food and drink.

Lunchtime menu is also gresat value, baguettes with chips are gorgeous.