“Carriage museum well worth it”

Red House Stables and Carriage Museum
Ranked #26 of 51 things to do in Matlock
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Not a posh place - looks like a working stables which it is but also houses a tremendous collection of carriages. London to Edinburgh coach, ice cream carriage, bakery delivery carriage etc. Very impressive and interesting.

2  Thank Allan R

Reviewed 14 June 2013

As a birthday treat I was given a double lesson of carriage driving instruction at the Red House Stables and Carriage Museum, something I had always wanted to do. It was a fantastic experience. The staff were welcoming and friendly and the instruction by the owner, Mrs Caroline Dale-Leech, who is clearly a very knowledgeable lady, was superb. The rig and horse were well turned-out and the lesson tailored ideally for my needs. Included in the price of the lesson was a tour of the museum, which was fascinating. This really was a great birthday treat and memorable experience and one I would recommend to all.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Me and my wife visited the Red House Stables and Carriage Museum. Upon entering the through the gates we could see in the distance horses in their stables. We firstly went into a large museum full of different carriages all beautifully polished. My wife ventured down some further steps and was greeted by even more carriages. On the wall there was a notice board and it said that the carriages at the side of us had been used in all the Pride and Predjudice plus Jane Eyre films. We eventually made our way outside and started to go down past the stables and met all the horses. It was getting late on in the day but we will definately have to go back and book a carriage ride.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

We went out for a carriage drive and its one of the nicest experiences i've had. The horses were fit and enthusiastic and obviously loved their job. It was awesome to feel their power from being sat in a carriage pulled by two big grey horses. I am a rider and it was amazing to get a different prospective of the power of the horse. Caroline was very knowledgeable of the area and an expert driver. Her groom was lovely to chat to as well . The museum was fascinating. I feel this attraction is more suited to down to earth country folk . i would love to go again

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here for 1 night due to my friends sons wedding,which was being held about 1 mile and a half away in the lavish Whitworth hall. I found the room here,after climbing up a very narrow spiral staircase, to be very dirty with dead flies on the windowsill,making me have an allergic reaction to the dust etc. I would not stay here again.

4  Thank Timothybob