“lovely find”

Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The White Lion, a Great genuinely unique traditional British Pub, Great food and ales, real fires. Pedigree, Cumberland and and at least 3 other guests weekly, Carling and the new craft lager Revisionist. Food served 5.30 to 8.30. Tues to Friday and 12 til 2.30 and 5 til 9 Saturday,12 to 5.30 Sunday
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Sorry should have done this before as visited a few month ago myself and my husband wanted somewhere to go for a steak after having a saturday night on our own what a find the pub is gorgeous with beautiful views of Matlock I ordered my steak medium well done but for me was not cooked enough but it was no trouble for them to take it back and cook it how I like as for the chips yum yum we will be coming back here next Saturday for my birthday and bringing our son. A gorgeous pub with lovely food and staff that nothing is too much trouble. Thankyou so much and see you next Saturday

Reviewed 22 May 2014

As a local, I use this pub regularly both for eating and drinking. I've seen some recent bad reviews and feel that they are totally unjustified - especially as they appear to be from "one-off" visits!!
I've NEVER had a bad pint and NEVER had to complain about a meal - in fact I've had some of the best pub grub here. The chips are different - and I like them, so does my wife - at least they're home made unlike very many places.
I've seen the same people eating here regularly (me and my wife amongst them), which tells you a great deal.

Whether you're having a meal or just a drink, the staff are always friendly and attentive.
This pub is run extremely well - the management know their business and know how to look after their customers and their needs.

I gladly call The White Lion my local.

1  Thank 48BWJ
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Pub looks quite welcoming, the menu impressive but the food was very disapointing ie Whiby Cod was out of a packet.

5  Thank ann h
spencer s, Owner at White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

We are sorry that you found your visit to The White Lion disappointing. There does appear to be some confusion regarding your meal which might explain this. We do serve a budget meal of Cod,chips and mushy peas on our specials board, but this is in no way advertised as fresh battered Whitby Cod and is reflected in the price. We do serve a Whitby Whole tail Scampi on our Main printed menu and this is advertised as such.
If you had made us aware of your dissatisfaction then we would have been in a position to rectify this and been more than happy to do so,at the time of your visit.
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked a table for a mother's day treat. Unfortunately we had to change our booking from Mothering Sunday to Saturday. When we phoned up to re-book we were delighted to be offered the special Mother's Day menu as well as the usual fare. The owners couldn't have been more accommodating. Our mum had a lovely evening and we will definitely return.
Danielle, London

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Don't go to this pub!!! I don't think i've ever known such dreadful treatment on complaining about a meal. My mum, my 3 yr old son and I stopped here today for lunch. Our experience chimes with that of the latest reviewer. Dark brown leathery chips which were barely recognisable as potato. On making a remark when they were set down on the table,we were told not to judge them by the way they looked. Trouble is they tasted as bad as they looked.
My spinach and ricotta cannelloni was undercooked and looked pretty shocking. When you're paying £8.95 for a pasta dish you don't expect it to be undercooked. The filling was like a hard paste. Not nice. My son and I were sharing it and he wouldn't touch it. Nor would he go near the chips.
We sent it back almost immediately and asked for a refund. The front of house guy was ok about it and refunded us. Then on walking round to the car the chef started shouting at us outside the pub in earshot of other customers.
He said we were 'cheapskates' presumably because my son and I shared the pasta dish. He said he was 'sick of people like you judging my food' and finished by yelling'go away and don't come back'.My 3 yr old son didn't know what was happening or why some angry man was shouting at his nanna and mummy. It was just awful and judging by yesterday's reviewer they had a similar experience.
If I was managing that pub the chef would be out on his ear for talking to a customer like he did my mum. Why aren't they listening to customers instead of mouthing off at them? I've had loads of double-cooked chips and potatoes but these were horrible. Rethink the brown chips. Why not have them as an option instead of making everyone eat them?
Their response the latest reviewer talks about word of mouth. Well I have recently moved to the area and will be telling all my friends and neighbours not to go.
Fire the chef!

9  Thank rwesthen
spencer s, Chef and Joint Owner at White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Chef and Owner Spencer would like to state that he is quite happy with the way he spoke to this customer considering the rude manner exhibited throughout her short stay here at The White Lion

Yet again it is interesting yet another review is the first and only contribution by the reviewer

Ten minutes after ordering you asked where your food was. It was busy with another 20 plus people here, all eating and all enjoying their food.

As the chips were put down in front of you, you shook your head and said "oh dear" . Not a taste, not anything other than prejudgment.
The spinach and ricotta cannelloni is a very popular dish with our vegetarians particularly and yours is the first complaint to date. Though I suppose it is not the best choice to mash up with chips on the extra plate requested when ordering. Presumably for your 3 year old.

Demanding a full refund loudly and publicly, shouting that you are surprised that any food is edible here is both rude and unacceptable behavior to us

Myself (the chef and joint owner) and my partner Chris have simply decided that we have not gone into business creating a warm and inviting pub serving quality food to continue tolerating rude and abusive people out to simply spoil other people's days.

We have no choice whether we appear on trip adviser or not and are making a stand in not putting up with rude judgmental guests.

We are easy to find and people can put faces to our names

The danger with forums such as this is people hide behind user names and we have no way of finding out who they are or why they are so rude.

Thankfully we do not rely on people such as this reviewer and 2 years in are very confident regarding our customers needs, particularly regarding home cooked chips

Thank you for taking the time to publicize your views , but I must rush as it is 5:28pm on Saturday and I have a fully booked lounge to feed this evening