“My New Favorite Cafe!”
Review of Cool River Cafe

Cool River Cafe
Ranked #15 of 136 Restaurants in Matlock
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cool River Cafe & Patisserie fills the gap on the high street between Coffee shop & Full Contemporary Restaurant Offering exceptional quality food in a brand new, open kitchen setting. Cooked & continental breakfasts, bistro lunches, exquisite pastries & traditional afternoon tea form the core of this exciting restaurant. Open: Tuesday - Saturday 9am - 4.00pm & Sunday 10am - 4pm
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I went to this Cafe yesterday for lunch and a coffee with my Mum.
It was very busy but that didn't stop the staff from being very friendly and attentive.

The food was fresh and absolutely delicious! The salad on the side was so gorgeous I could've had it as a meal itself. I had a Soy Latte which had to have been the best coffee I have ever had, I am a big coffee fan and you could tell they use a very good quality coffee in this cafe.

To end my meal I bought a salted caramel and chocolate tart to take away, I will definitely be back to get this again and encourage all my friends to try it!

Trogo16, Manager at Cool River Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thanks for your kind review. Glad you found the staff to be friendly and attentive. As you noticed, we do get very busy, but we always try to give good service. Its really nice for the team to have that recognised. Like yourself, we are also big coffee fans and we spent a long time researching growers and suppliers, until we found the best all round, "Soft Latin Espresso". Earlier in the year we were privileged to have "Francesco" the guy in Columbia, who grows our coffee, visit and actually make coffee in our machine with beans he had grown! For coffee lovers like us this was a really big deal! and we all learned so much. The pastries are all made on the premises, each day, by Stacey, our talented pastry chef (at some ungodly hour in the morning!) Hope you liked the chocolate salted caramel take away.
regards

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were taken there by friends and it was a pleasant surprise. The food was excellent and well priced

We are really happy you enjoyed you visit. Thanks for taking the time to let others know your feelings about Cool River. It is much appreciated.
Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Called into this wonderful place for a coffee but ended up having food as well as it all looked and tasted delicious! There's a good choice of food available, freshly prepared and of excellent quality, although perhaps a bit more pricey than the average coffee venue. Next time we go will ensure we go hungry to fully enjoy the wonderful food on offer. The car park next to the cafe is rather small so suggest parking by one of the large supermarkets in Matlock.

Trogo16, Owner at Cool River Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. As you noticed, we only use fresh (and as local as possible) produce, here at Cool River and that does cost a little more, but were sure its worth paying for. Also, good point about parking! it can get very congested but as you say, there is Sainsburys and by the way, avery large public car park next to it- only a few minutes walk from the cafe. Do come and try our lovely cakes and savouries next time your near.We know you won't be disappointed.
Regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Cool River Cafe was recommended to me by two local people, so I gave it a try. Impressed with my lunch - very tasty croque monsieur with lovely fresh salad, all nicely presented by happy-looking staff. Coffee not bad either. I wasn't hungry enough to try any of the mouth-watering pastries and cakes on display, but they looked very tempting. Nice unrushed atomosphere and a very handy place to try when you need a rest from browsing the vintage shops along Dale Road. Prices reasonable - I paid about £6.50 for my croque monsieur. There is a pay and display council car park next to the cafe, or limited-time free parking along Dale Road itself. Alternatively, park at Sainsbury's (10 minutes walk away) where you can have 2 hours free parking whether you are a Sainsbury's customer or not. Having tried many of the cafes in the Matlock area, I'd say this is one of the best. Didn't try the wi-fi but hope it's fixed now as this cafe would be a great place to sit and catch up on your emails.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

For a recent business meeting in Matlock I was keen to avoid the coffee chains. Not that they do anything wrong, but I do think that the independents can offer a refreshing difference, especially on the service front.

Cool River Cafe was the agreed meeting place and as I arrived early I took advantage of having a coffee and croissant. The double espresso, made using coffee from Cafeology, was strong (as requested) but not bitter and the croissant was fresh. The cafe makes all its own pastries, including the croissants, which had been made earlier that day.

The service was friendly and I was waited-on at my table, which I always prefer, and the prices were very fair.

Any niggles? The free WiFi wasn't working but fortunately I could access the internet, which was needed to run through a web project, via a BT Hotspot. That said, the owner was aware of this problem and I am sure that when I return (and return I shall) that this minor issue will be fixed.