“'Perfect'”

Matlock Farm Park
Ranked #7 of 43 things to do in Matlock
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Matlock Farm Park is a family friendly open farm, providing a great day out with varied activities for all the family. The park has a large selection of animals to see including llamas, goats, peacocks, meerkats, chickens, pigs, alpacas, ducks and deer to name a few. There are specially designed playgrounds and even a go-kart track for the kids and many places for the adults to relax if they wish.Group party bookings and children's birthday parties are also catered for, please ring for details.There is a licensed cafe serving hot food, a classroom and a gift shop. Horse Riding Lessons and Pony Trekking are also available with prior booking.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Scarborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“'Perfect'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I took my son to Matlock Farm Park the other day, this was our second visit in as many months. I was so pleased the first time we had to come back!! Then when i found out they were on here, I thought i would put a review on here too!! My son is 2 and a half and his face just lights up! Its amazing because you can buy a bag of mixed animal feed at the entrance and he can feed all the animals which to a child of his age is just the most wonderful thing, and to any parent, well worth the money to see. I found it educational for him also because there was no pressure to 'keep moving' like bigger zoological parks. You can take your time with all the animals, we went round three times!! All the animals were well looked after and the staff were polite. One member even came and spoke to us and told us all about the chickens. There is a fantastic play area and the kiddies electric cars....we had one each!! Then i got to put him on a 50p tractor ride whilst i sat and had a coffee in the cafe. What more could any parent want?! Spending time with my son is the highlight of my life. and to stumble across a 'little gem' of a place such as this, it just makes every moment with him 'perfect'. Thanks guys, keep up the good work!! We will be back!!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Scarborough C

derbyshire
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“lovely staff but a very poor day out!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

me, my husband and our 2 daughters came here monday 4th nov. iv been to lots of farms and days out with the kids over the years and i must say matlock farm park was the worsed! i looked it up on the internet, and there website was really nice and looked like it would be a nice day out! i was wrong! alot of the animals are cramped in very small cages and alot of them look miserable, there is nothing really to do and is really run down. i feel bad putting a bad review as the man at the entrance was lovely, polite and helpful and the staff seem to be working hard. it took 1 hour to get round, play on the park and go on a couple of 50p rides. not really a day out. it normally cost £22 for a family of 4 but thankfully we found a deal with amazon local so we paid £9, but honustly still wasnt worth that. its a big place and could be made into a lovely place but as it stands at the moment i definatly wouldnt return or recommend to anyone.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank DerbyshireSarah
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“London to Nottingham to explore new place and than was "Matlock"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

nice one way road to upper Matlock
I mean Matlock is mountain and green wide fields
lovely place
you will like driving on this road
you will see animals there
specially we see horse in White Hall in London
but there you can see in the fields
and not only Horses other animals such as cows, goats, & sheeps.
it remind me my Country

Visited September 2013
2 Thank al3xand3rth3g8
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had a brilliant day out at matlock farm park in half term. I went with my three children who enjoyed all the animals. It was nice to be able to walk around and enjoy the park and watch my children feed the pot belly pig the chickens and the goats. . My daughter really enjoyed handling the small animals especially the rabbits in the barn. I was really impressed with the staff for helping my children handle the animals as one of them was really scared, but a lovely young man who had disabilities made my son feel very confident in handling them. After the barn we went to the cafe the service was brilliant even though it was packed.The food was excellent and there was even a young girl helping out in the kids room where they have had crafts like colouring and making masks. The souvenir shop is not too expensive. Thumbs up. We are DEFIANTLY going again.(all my kids fell asleep in the car on the way home )

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Eve G
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Shocking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I do not advise any animal lover to visit this farm park. We were absolutely shocked and upset by the horrific living conditions of some of the animals and their health.
In the small animal barn the domestic rats all appear to be suffering from sores and black crusted growths on their ears and noses, there was even 3 dead baby rats in the cage. It appears that the cage hasn't been cleaned out for a long time just clean bedding packed onto old. The Chickens looked in ill health and had runny noses and were even sneezing. The budgie was in a cage with a pile of droppings almost as high as its perch and again had obviously not been cleaned out for a long time as there was grass shoots about 3 inches long growing in the cage. The cockertiel's cage was as shocking with mold growing on its bordom breaker toys and the cage did not appear to have been cleaned out in a long time. The rabbits and Guinie Pigs looked depressed and just sat not moving, they had straw but no hay which is esential for a grazing animal being kept indoors. There are wild rats running riot out in the chicken enclosures, coming up to the front of the runs for food when the children were trying to feed the chickens. I understand that all farms have rats but this was alive with them and they did not appear to be frightened of humans. One of the chicken enclosures was awash with water and excrement, the chickens had no dried ground to stand in. Some of the goats looked malnurished, one of the pigs had an orange discharge from its eyes and the merecat enclosure looks like someone has dumped builders rubble in the enclosure for the merecats to live in.
There was one member of staff who appeared to really care for the animals, a young lad with learning disabilities, he was feeding the animals and knew all their names, he got the animls out for the children to pet and was doing the best job in a very poor situation. All the other members of staff were stood at the entrance drinking tea and chatting leaving this poor lad to do all the work on his own. The toilets were dirty with human waste and flooding onto the floor of the toilet.
We will never visit this park again, it was a treat day out for 4 young boys and should have been a great time. Its left us all feeling upset and distressed for the animals at the farm park.

Visited October 2013
12 Thank Christa R
MatlockFarmPark, Manager at Matlock Farm Park, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
We note your review and your complaint to the NEDDC Animal Heath and their subsequent visit.
We are governed by the Animal Heath Dept, who's trained staff visit and inspect us regularly, they continue to support us and are very happy in the way we care for our animals.
We too are very experienced in animal welfare, this is the whole reason we all work with animals at Matlock Farm Park.
All our animals are well cared for and loved, some are rescued. We are offended and worried at the depth you have gone to in your first and only review, are you trying to close us down?
Do you realise if we did close down because of reviews like yours, we would have to put most of our animals to sleep and lay off all our staff?
If you want to educate yourself and spend a day with us, we will gladly give you an incite into how we look after animals- but be prepared for some hard work!