“a lovely day out for all the family”
Review of Matlock Farm Park

Matlock Farm Park
Ranked #7 of 46 things to do in Matlock
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Matlock Farm Park is a family friendly open farm, providing a great day out with varied activities for all the family. The park has a large selection of animals to see including llamas, goats, peacocks, meerkats, chickens, pigs, alpacas, ducks and deer to name a few. There are specially designed playgrounds and even a go-kart track for the kids and many places for the adults to relax if they wish.Group party bookings and children's birthday parties are also catered for, please ring for details.There is a licensed cafe serving hot food, a classroom and a gift shop. Horse Riding Lessons and Pony Trekking are also available with prior booking.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“a lovely day out for all the family”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We spent the whole day there yesterday and I have to say that we loved it and cannot wait to visit again. Fantastic value for the money, nice food, plenty of well cared for animals and welcoming staff. This is a little gem that does exactlay what it says on the tin! It is aimed at the young and old alike and ensures that families have a good time in the more traditional farm park surroundings. No fancy fast rides here, you don't need them at all. Andrea, ian and family.

2 Thank ian s

Tyneside
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyable time had by all”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Hubby and I visited a couple of days ago with our 7 year old, 4 year old and my mum and we thought it was really lovely. Nice setting. They had an offer on allowing a child in for free with each adult, then my mum was told that because she is a concession and it's Friday, she could have a free meal in the cafe - fab! Kids loved feeding all the animals, especially having a go at bottle feeding some orphan lambs. Enjoyed petting the bunnies too and the young man was really patient with my rather keen 4 year old. Food good in the cafe - great fresh soup and hot baguettes and decently priced. The kids enjoyed the play equipment and we'll no doubt be returning soon

1 Thank jackhTyneside
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not the best...”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We visited the farm today as we had a Groupon voucher. We stayed all of about 15 min. The place was tired, dated and as for the reviews which say 'lots of animals' I would have to disagree. The outdoor play area was run down and the extra attractions such as the rides were all £1 each. I understand its a working farm but they could make so much more of the land they have. We regularly visit farms and this is worse than the 'free' farm which we visit. I am so grateful we had a voucher as i would have been even more dissapointed if we had had to pay full price. The only plus side were the friendly staff. Would definately not visit again. White Post Farm or Happy Hens is a thousand times better.

2 Thank rachael b
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“It is what it says it is!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Went with my 5 yr old, 13yr old, mother & myself ( ages left out for vanity reasons) Having read some of the other reviews we were somewhat cautious as to what we would find. It is exactly what it says it is, a park farm not a theme park, animal petting centre or a zoo. We had a wonderful few hours wandering around looking at the animals & feeding them. The staff were lovely & very helpful, we enjoyed the chance to feed the lambs & hold some chicks. We took our own picnic & made the most of the facilities there. Please don't go expecting animals lining up waiting to be petted, they are FARM animals! Overall a lovely few hours & worth the trip.

3 Thank Emmadaysout
Auchterarder
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Not bad, not great”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I would agree that Matlock website marketing does make it sound more "upbeat" than it is. That said, on a decent weather day, it would be possible to wile away a few hours here. With a daughter who loves animals, it was easier, but for those who are less enthusiastic, the alternatives are perhaps time limiting. Also agree that its better suited to the under 7/8s who, perhaps having experienced less, have lower expectations.
The website shows the wrong telephone number and so I waited ages for an answer and then had to call another number which just rang out.
My daughter has already finished school for Easter but there are no pony rides in the week as its not the holiday for Matlock area.
I have to commend the young girl in the Small Animal Barn who was exceptionally good at letting the children handle the animals despite having only been on work experience there for one week from school! Her colleague Tom was also wonderfully enthusiastic and keen to tell us what he knew about the animals. Between them they ran the show! I hope they get appropriate recompense.
The older man on reception was very approachable too.
Probably wouldn't go back, but that's more to do with the age of my daughter and Cannon Hall Farm suiting our needs better.
Don't rule it out, its a farm and less commercial than many. My daughter enjoyed it so happy kids, happy parents!!