“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 11 Saltash B&B and Inns
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Nowhere on the presentation did it mention that you would be staying in a one room chalet and not in a hotel. 21 photos on the website but not one showing a chalet. The chalet we were shown to was cheaply furnished, poorly decorated with thin curtains that were at least 18 inches too long. There was only one chair in the room, no lock on the toilet door, no refrigerator and generally not what we were expecting for the price and for my birthday treat. A bit like the Hi De Hi layout that left a lot to be desired.
On the positive side we were delighted with the quality and quantity of the food and the service was first class. We would eat there again but not stopover.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Trevor J, Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Unfortunately, so much money has been spent on revamping the whole premises and we are still trying to redecorate all the rooms. All takes time (and money), but we are really sorry that you didn't receive the experience you deserved. We hope you do give us another go, but if not then thank you again for taking the time to review us. Many thanks, Ellie Venables

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was somewhat apprehensive after reading reviews. However from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were well looked after. The rooms were clean, recently decorated and with fitted with new furniture. The breakfast was excellent quality and the staff all very nice. The young lady who does the cleaning was excellent and when we asked for the use of an iron and Hair dryer sorted it all out for us. The location is great with quick access to major routes and other beautiful spots of Cornwall. I will definitely be returning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Stroppa77, thank you so much for your kind review, we are glad you took the initiative not to take notice of the reviews we have had. We are still trying to bring all of the chalets up to speed so we are glad you liked the newly refurbished ones. The location is a real plus for us, Cornwall is great in the fact that nothing is ever too far away. Thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I arrived and was put in room 30, avoid, avoid, it had no heating and smelled musty and damp. I was so tired I put up with it for the night complained the next morning. Even the kettle had to be plugged in on the floor - says it all! I was moved to room 4 which was better (heating Worked) and to be fair the beds in both rooms were comfortable and clean. If you can choose low numbered rooms they appear to be better, larger and have a view.
The restaurant is nicely done and has some character with false plastic beams, but it is clean and friendly. The bar area is also nice and has some comfortable seating. I arrived on Saturday night and there was a wedding on which was very noisy until around 2am. I was warned though!
Check your bill on departure, I was quoted £50 inclusive but they tried to charge £50 plus vat, this was changed but even so!
All in all avoid unless you get a good deal and enjoy breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jef123456789
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Jef123456789, we are sorry that you felt like you were stuck in a time warp when visiting our pub. We have recently refurbished the main building and a few of the chalets, ongoing with the others, but obviously the taste is not for everyone. Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts. Many thanks, Ellie Venables

Travellers are raving about these Saltash hotels

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

After deciding to use this restaurant to celebrate my Brother's 60th birthday, all 13 of us including a 2yr old, had to wait an hour and half before getting our starters! When our main meals finally arrived, they served only part of the meal, and we then had to wait whilst the other guests on our table had part of their meal served! My partner and I were so hungry that we had got half way through eating our meal before our chips arrived! Everyone finally got their meals apart from my dear Grandson!!!! They had forgotten his!!!! How could they dish up everyone's meal and not remember his, when he was sat down in his chair with us. We were all absolutely disgusted, {I was outraged!} children should always be served first, they can get so upset watching everyone get their food and not have any themselves, apart from the fact it was well past his meal time! They finally brought out his sausage and chips, the sausages didn't look cooked and when questioned was told they look like that because they are poached first!!! {He didn't eat them} My Brother was last to get his chips, yet it was his birthday. He should not have been last!!! Others had ordered crispy belly pork, they got belly pork, but definitely not crispy, more like old shoe leather! So Disappointing for everyone. We definitely will not go back..........ever!!!!!! And one other thing..... parent and baby changing room.........apparently is in the function room..........which was closed to us because of a private party!!!!! Disgusted!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 135nbnCarolS
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear 135nbnCarolS, first of all that you for taking the time to write down your experiences with us, now let me have my say...I have spoken to management about this review and they told me their side of the story. You were told that you could not have your table any later as there would be a table of 19 also in that night, yet you still came 45 minutes late, causing chaos in the kitchen. You gave no special requirements as to the serving arrangements, if you had made this known to the staff at the time I am sure that they would have catered to your request. Management tell me that you were offered a replacement Belly Pork (free of charge) and desserts (free of charge) but these were declined and when one of the waitresses checked back the only bad thing said was about the belly pork. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

A group of us stayed here for a night or two before our son (and now daughter-in-law) were married up the road at Pentillie Castle.

It would be unfair of me to comment on the standards perceived by our group of the different rooms, as the whole place was undergoing a refurb in the early months of 2013.

Having said that, the quality of the rooms we stayed in (which had supposedly been made over) left something to be desired.

The breakfast on the other hand was superb. I don't usually eat the 'full English' breakfast... but I had that on both the mornings... and on both occasions they were excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Manager T, Manager at The Cardinals Hatt, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear JohnWells9, thank you for taking the time to review us in regards to your recent stay at The Cardinals Hatt. We are sorry that you were left with mixed opinions, the rooms are, however, forever changing but we are glad you enjoyed the breakfast!!! We hope that next time you are in the area you will stay with us again. Many thanks, Ellie Venables
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed at the Cardinals Hatt on the 26th March and I can safely say that it is the worst hotel experience I have had in years. I found the staff unhelpful particularly the Manager and Corrine I think her name was who looked after checkout and breakfast.

The staffs incompetence started at the booking stage when they never confirmed my booking.

The only positive about the experience was the house wine.

The food was average at best and was very poor value.

When booking the hotel I specifically asked what time breakfast was served as I needed to be at an exhibition at 8 oclock. However, this actually arrived at 7.50 so I had to leave without it. This happened because Corrine was trying to sort out guests checking out.

The wifi didn't work and as such she couldn't raise my invoice.

I spoke with the manager who was very obnoxious and refused to send me my invoice as I had told him that I would be giving the hotel the worst review ever. So I had to turn around as I was already heading back to Yorkshire to get my invoice. What a joker you are young man.

In summary poor food even worse staff, shocking.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Paul G
Dear Paul G, thank you for taking the time to write down your experiences with us. We are sorry that you felt the staff were incompetent, I have spoken to the management on duty at this time and they felt that the way they were spoken to by yourself was rude and out of order. We are sorry for the Wifi incident, but in our defence, we had been struck by lightning and we have been having problems ever since. We are sorry you had a bad stay, many thanks, Ellie Venables
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We travelled from Lancaster and had a horrific journey so arrived very late (after mid-night) & Jimmy (not sure if he's the manager) was great, he was very sympathetic, let us take a drink to our room, didn't rush us although his shift had finished..
When we got to our rooms we were pleasantly surprised, I think we assumed by the price that it wouldn't be up to much but we were wrong, the residential part is separate, very clean and inviting, the breakfast was freshly cooked and good.I would highly recommend this establishment and will book again the next time we visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mandy I
Dear Mandy I, thank you for your kind review, very much appreciated!! We hope to see you again when you are visiting next. Many thanks, Ellie Venables