“Great food in a classic local boozer ”
Review of Rod & Line Pub

Rod & Line Pub
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Saltash
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We were met at the door of the boozer by the landlord, drink in his hand who welcomed us with a hello lovelies and we were shown to our table in the gorgeous cornish boozer, the epitomy of rustic charm!

Within minutes of standing at the bar waiting for a pint of tribute I was involved in some local banter with the very friendly locals, I met the fisherman, a farmer and the new barman who seemed to be the butt of the regulars considerable repertoire of jokes that night.

We studied the board for the food specials if the day and chose what I had heard about and come for, crab claws, Mrs Lovett had the crab and avocado salad and the boys shared a huge and gorgeously made spaghetti bolognaise with fresh pasta.

The crab claws and salad arrived within 30 minutes even though we had been forewarned of a "wait" I tucked in the the claws served in an amazing sweet chilli sauce a very generous portion of huge claws with plenty of bread to dip in afters, which was an opportunity I didn't want to miss as the well balanced sweet chilli sauce was a delight I savoured every last drop of.

The crab and avocado salad was gorgeous well balanced with plenty of crab meat to get excited about and lovely ripe avocado.

We were too full up and the boys too tired to sample dessert but there was a good choice on the menu, home made crumble and custard caught my eye.

If I'd have been kidless I could have thought of nothing better than joining the locals at the bar to hear some of the stories that a pub like this thrives on, as one of locals said to me "It's a quiet night tonight, this is the last pub in England and mad things can happen here." I have no doubt that they can.

3  Thank Alex L

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Friendly staff and great food, good value for money and a lot of sea food on offer. Do not be put off by the outside appearance or the décor inside ( which actually provided a good topic of conversation with our teenagers who have never experienced pubs pre corporate sofa design!)as this was a great relaxed friendly place to go. Parking directly opposite with a childrens playground if needed.

4  Thank E H
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We met family here, as it was recommended by Sawdays. The decor was rather scruffy, but some of my favourite pubs are similar, so that did not bother me. However, the menu was very limited, and it was not clear what was meant to be starters and what main courses. The scallops were disappointing (served with no salad, just half a dozen scallops and bread -perhaps it was a starter), but the fish and chips and steak were good. We waited a very long time to be served, and the gents' toilets were dire. We would not go back.

3  Thank chapyBristol
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Meeting friends whom i hadn't seen in over 24 years, I was struggling to find somewhere to meet them that was equidistant for them in Wembury and us in Truro. We drive through Tideford on our way to Plymouth for the ferry and I thought about the Rod and Line. I read the reviews and decided to give it a go. What a stroke of genius! Luckily I had booked because the place was packed. The crab claws were "to die for" and so easy to eat because all the messy business with the shell had been done for us! My husband had the crab and avocado salad which he loved. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the 45 minutes again, just to sample the food and atmosphere.

6  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Drove a long way to meet some friends here but it was well worth the drive. It's a charming pub with excellent food. The crab/ avocado salad was divine & the crab claws were delicious! Friendly & excellent service!

5  Thank Claire C