You will like this resort if you are a golf enthusiast or like loads screaming kids. But golf widows beware. If you are expecting to have a nice relaxing weekend at the 'spa' whilst your husband is out enjoying 18 holes on the award winning course with his mates, you will most likely be very disappointed.
First the good. The golf course was amazing and the view from our room of the 18th hole was fantastic. (We did have to pay extra for that view). The Nicklaus bar was great and was one of the few places you could go to escape the madness of the pool. Also, the location is fab. You are close to several wonderful towns with great pubs and restaurants. But sadly that's about it for the good.
It actually comes in handy being to close to good pubs because you will most likely have to go there if you want decent food. The food at the bistro was mediocre at best. The food at An Boesti is better but do beware when ordering wine and make sure they give you the wine you ordered. We ordered 4 bottles and they messed up 2. First they switched a pinot noir for a pino grigio (easy to spot, white vs red, and rectify), but then they substituted the less expensive sauvignon blanc we ordered for the most expensive one on the menu. When we pointed it out, the response we got was "sorry, but I showed you the label and you drank it". Fair, except, it was the same year, same country the only difference was the vineyard.So check your labels carefully. We did not get reimbursed. Also, there were only four mains on the menu (usually a sign of a good restaurant) but... they didnt have one of them. So not much choice.
In terms of the "spa" there is an elemis spa with 2 treatment rooms. The treatments were relaxing and the therapists were very nice. But then that's it. Unless you are getting a treatment there is no spa. The pool is your only place to go and relax but that was full of loads and loads of screaming under 5s ( I counted 20 in the pool most times) so not very relaxing at all. And it wasn't kids staying at the resort either. Families were coming in by the SUV load and checking into the pool so it would seem there was some sort of summer swimming programme on, which every family in Saltash seemed to be taking advantage of. Anyway, there were only 4 chairs next to the pool, so you couldn't even chill by the pool if you wanted.
Any finally ( this one was pretty devastating)- there were no robes in the rooms! How can this be a luxury resort and spa if you have to pay 60 quid for robes?! You do get reimbursed on checkout, but only if you lug your robes to the desk (along with the rest of your luggage) when you check out. Apparently they don't trust you enough to leave the robe in your room. Even if you are spending over 1000 pounds at their "luxury resort" for the weekend.
Overall experience: I've had better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy Unparalleled Rest & Relaxation at St Mellion International Resort Discover a world of cosmopolitan pleasures within the grounds of St Mellion. Set in 450 acres of breath-taking Cornish countryside, the resort offers an exceptional blend of four-star accommodation, inspired dining and outstanding business and event facilities. Located in Saltash, just 10 miles from Plymouth, St Mellion offers a well-deserved escape to the countryside right on your doorstep. Steeped in elegance; a place where miles of open green valleys wait at every turn. The resort is best known for the Nicklaus Signature Golf Course, the first European course personally designed by Jack Nicklaus, which draws accomplished and casual golfers from around the world looking to improve their game. With the addition of luxurious bedrooms, casual and fine-dining restaurant options, swimming pools, fitness, tennis and spa facilities, it's what makes St Mellion an all-encompassing leisure hub and resort of choice. Adding a friendly welcome to the exquisite setting of St Mellion, our team have created a luxury experience that anticipates the needs of our valued guests, offering you and your family endless possibilities for recreation and relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, 5viajes2012 S.L., Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your St Mellion International Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Mellion International Hotel Saltash
- St Mellion International Resort Saltash, Cornwall