“PUZZLED - not sure how to rate it?”

St Mellion International Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Saltash
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here with my partner last weekend and m very conflicted about how I feel about it!

Good points:
Nicklaus golf course - Amazing/Beautiful (but I'm ignoring that as I'm reviewing this as a hotel/restaurant);
Golf Shop & Pro's - great!
Staff; lovely;
Spa - fabulous;
Views - over golf course and beyond if on that side of the hotel lovely;
Bathroom/en-suite (in one of the suites) - amazing!

Bad points:
Bedrooms - done out like a Travel Lodge.
Bed - so hard I sat down heavily and almost bounced right up again! Almost no sleep :(
Bar area - looks fine but I hate chlorine/bleach and smell from pool next door overwhelming for me (had to breath through my mouth the WHOLE time in there for breakfast etc) so no way would I voluntarily sit there for a drink without feeling ill. If you like chlorine/pool smells then no problem.
Restaurant (An Boesti) - disappointed. Not much choice (3 things) and fairly basic. Also, although it looks nice there seemed to be not much/any atmosphere so no romantic at all.
Breakfast - feel a bit guilty for saying this as the staff were so lovely BUT my porridge had huge hard powdery lumps in it, and the juice was off. They changed it straight away and my partner's cooked brekkie was nice.
So, would I go there again? Yes. To play golf and stay one night - no more. I would not eat in the restaurant or have breakfast which would save money and I'd definitely have a suite, I hate to think how basic the normal rooms would be!

3  Thank SouthWestLizzie
There are newer reviews for St Mellion International Resort

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Location is excellent in terms of proximity to A38 and Plymouth. Grounds and Golf course excellent as are the Hotel facilities.

Staff are pleasant and welcoming and the Hotel has as atmosphere of warmth and ease of access making it a pleasant location for an enjoyable stay.

Because it is a little remote it is easy to fall into the trap of using the hotel for all food , meals and drinks. However prices are extremely unfriendly when compared to the many friendly and welcoming traditional establishments close by. Hotel prices are always a little higher but at St Mellion that is stretched to far.

As an example a bottle of pinot grigiw which we enjoyed at a local restaurant for £14.40 is £21.0 at the St Mellon Resort. I believe it fair to say that there are no wines much below that price on the list..

Bar brinks are pleasantly served with good rapport but prices way out of line with other establishments. Hotel prices are always a few percentage points above the average but beware if expecting to have have a few drinks on a night in.

Better to eat and drink elsewhere the cost of a taxi will be saved with monies to spare.

Food is good in the Brasserie and the An Boesti restaurant boasts fine dining but at fine prices and little flexibility of choices of menu.

Tried it once and enjoyed the experience but also enjoyed equally good food and ambience in several local restaurants at a much lesser cost after considering taxi charges.

Hotel ideal for children with good facilities and away from traffic.

The resort also has Lodge accommodation available which can be a worthwhile option if with children for a Cornish break,

Room Tip: Insist on a room at the front rather than one overlooking the car park. All lodges have good locati...
1  Thank Roger R
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Good service, clean room, good sized bed and lovely view over the golf course and lakes from the balcony. Pools were nice and the gym a good size with loads of equipment. The staff were very friendly and helpful in all areas of the hotel.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed at The St Mellion on business.
I arrived relatively late after a long drive but had a very warm welcome with Lawrence actuall showing me to my room (and carrying my bags). Cannot fault the service
I ordered room service which came promptly & was delicious. Again I was impressed by the breakfast both selection and quality.
The room was a superior and looked on to the golf course with a lovely balcony - I do hope I'll be staying again soon!

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend - just sad I didn't have longer to explore & see the pool etc.

Highly recommended

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night and received a very warm welcome from staff, who were also helpful during our stay; nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were clean and spacious. Double bed is two singles pulled together creating a ridge that did not enable good sleep. Restaurant and bar good, as was the swimming pools.

Room Tip: Even number rooms on ground level (eg 202) have a balcony and overlook the lake, odd number rooms (e...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Polly E
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We booked a triple room for 2 adults and 1 child, expecting 3 single beds. What we actually got was 1 single bed and 2 pull out beds. The camp bed was fine for my 5 year old but extremely uncomfortable for an adult. After 1 night of no sleep due to the bed moving around and having no support or grip, I phoned reception in the morning.
The "customer service' adviser, Irek, was extremely unhelpful and arrogant. I requested a different room due to the poor beds. Irek, then informed me that this wasn't possible and that actually the beds were the same throughout the hotel. This is rubbish, as we have previously stayed at st mellion and had extremely comfortable beds.
Irek then proceeded to inform me that he had I fact slept on the bed and it was fine! Since he stubbornly refused to listen, we decided to check out to bring our misery to an end. I have never experienced such rudeness in any hotel we have ever stayed, quite bizarre.
Staying at a 4 star hotel, I would expect more than just a pull out bed for an adult. We took off the sheets and found that the bed was just a pull out from under the 1 real single bed. (The room was 301).
We will obviously not return, which is a pity, as our first visit was so special and enjoyable.
Please help Irek gain some customer service skills before he ruins someone else's holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank jules73Cornwall
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were staying at a lodge in the grounds of the golf complex and decided as there was just the two of us to go to the new year eve dinner dance at the hotel. We were disappointed that as a two we were sat alone on a table for two as was all the other lone couples. We would have been happy to sit with others and mix with them. Our table also wobbled really badly because the top of it was loose so no chance of resolving it. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the meal. However, when the band Eddie and The Grimnotes started playing, The Grimnotes were fine but Eddie was terribly irritating . We suffered him for a couple of dances and the decided to go back to our lodge and see in the new year with Jools Holland on the TV , so much better. St Mellion is probably the most prestigious hotel in Cornwall and whilst the food was good I would have thought the entertainment could have been better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bantickr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltash
China Fleet Country Club
#5 of 9 in St Austell
Best Western Fowey Valley
Best Western Fowey Valley
#1 of 3 in Lostwithiel

Been to St Mellion International Resort? Share your experiences!