1,194 results
All reviewsgolf coursest mellionsuperior roomelemis toiletriesgolf resortbalcony overlookinggolf breakpro shopgreat golfcar parkleisure facilitiesin excellent conditiongreat weekendwedding receptionbiscuitsnicklauscourses
Reviewed 18 November 2009

We stayed here in August 2009 as part of an extended UK break to the Cornwall area. It was the finale of our holiday - a little luxury before going back to work! We were very impressed with the leisure facilities and spa - very clean and the staff were excellent. The hotel rooms were ok but rather 'Ikeaesque' - I mean that in the sense that they were modern and functional and minimalist but I can't see them looking great in a few years time - it seemed to be quite a cheap re-fit. However the real problem lay with the brasserie and the attitude of the management which were both appauling. We waited over an hour between our starter and main meal and then a further half an hour between our main meal and dessert and not only were were starving but it was embarassing. We had to ask several times for extra drinks too. The waiting on staff seemed very thin on the ground and also inexperienced - unsure what to say despite knowing how poor the service and waiting time was. One even told us she hated working there and preferred working in the restaurant....mmm...training requirement perhaps?!! We complained to the hotel manager just before checking out the following day. He gave us our drinks for free (one bottle of wine and one soft drink) but woud not offer any further gesture of good will until he had spoken to the brasserie staff. We felt rather put out - he was intimating he did not believe us despite several reviews on this website complaining of the same slow service in the brasserie. He took our phone number and said he would call us once he had spoken to the brasserie. Guess what? Never received a call. Really, really poor. We have answermachines on all of our telephones therefore he could not even try to pretend he had attempted to resolve the complaint. No letter or email received either despite having this information too. Would not return to this hotel and based on our experience would not recommend. Poor service, poor management. As in all organisations, a well run business depends largely on good management...it all cascades from the top down.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Britraveller
StMellionManager, Business Development Executive at St Mellion International Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2010

Dear Britraveller,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay in August 2009. First of all, I am really pleased that you were impressed with the leisure facilities and staff. We regularly recieve similar feedback regarding this facility and always ensure this is fed-back to the staff to ensure they are rewarded for their hard work and commitment.
We have spent over £20 Million on the re-development of St Mellion International Resort and are extremely pleased with the end result however, I completely understand that the contemporary style is not always to everyone's tastes. I am sorry that you felt that way during your stay but hope it did not affect a good night's sleep.
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your experience in Bewdern's Brasserie. Your comments have been taken on board and dealt with as part of a re-training campaign. We have now been open as a new resort for 9 months and I am confident that we have resolved all issues of waiting times, staff attitude and customer service. This does not make up for the poor service you recieved of course, but I hope it will re-assure you that your comments have not gone un-noted.
I understand the manager did begin to attempt to resolve the issue by refunding your drinks on the evening. This should have been followed up with a call or some type of correspondence. It is our company policy that any feedback is handled by the person the guest speaks with first, right up until we are sure the guest is re-assured or we believe we have done all we can to resolve an issue. All I can say is that I am terribly sorry that you were treated this way and if you would like to discuss it with me personally, my direct line is 01579 352062.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back to St Mellion when you are next back in this part of the country.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 10 November 2009

Our family came for a short break , we got a very good deal for one of the lodges located within the ground of the golfcourse. Unlike the hotel the lodges have not been refurbished therefore expect dated decor ( not four star) , wonky toilet and avocado bathroom. However in return you will get massive amount of space - the lodges are huge, 3 loos and two bathrooms, and your own sauna! Thrown in is the use of the hotel spa - very nice with a proper pool, warmer and smaller kids pool and a baby pool, sauna and steamroom. It was half term so it was busy. Golfers will love the golfcourses - both very well kept and challenging. We did not eat at St Mellion - cannot comment. Tennis court is also available for free. I would like to go back and stay in the hotel next time ; the view from the front is great - over the hills and the golfcourse - I did like the whole look of the hotel and setting very much.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
StMellionManager, Business Development Executive at St Mellion International Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review from your stay with us in October 2009.
You are correct in saying that our lodges have not had the refurbishment the rest of St Mellion has undergone but this is certainly something on the cards for the near future. I am glad you were pleased with the facilities provided in the lodges and agree with you that they are big rooms and certainly allow for a family to relax and make themsleves at home! I am pleased you were able to take advantage of the free leisure facilities - pool, gym and tennis courts and that your game of golf was enjoyed by all.

We have further special offers available on our website so do please look out foir them and in the meantime,we very much look forward to welcoming you back to St Mellion International Resort in the not so distant future!

With Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2009

Stayed in a room with a balcony, the views were stunning and worth the additional cost. This is the best golf break that I have been on and I have stayed at many venues including Celtic Manor and Loch Lomond. The golf course is brilliant although tough and unforgiving, the food and wine were spot on and I tasted the best meal that I have ever had in the An Boesti Restaurant, cost me an arm and a leg but without a shadow of a doubt well worth it, top notch food and service. St Mellion is a revelation and is now a must for any golf break fanatic, well done St mellion for finally giving the place a lift and bringing it back to its former glory....and some.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Saintsone,

Thank you for your fantastic review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to having you back again for a few rounds of golf in the not so distant future!

Reviewed 3 October 2009

For those entranced by some particular type of golf course this may be some kind of small time mecca but as a hotel for a major family event or quality accomodation it just does not rank. There are dozens of other places with picture windows and views but for more congenial furnishings food and staff. I do not know what kind of standards the decent folk of south east Cornwall expect but this place is vastly oversold, expensive, bland, tasteless and patronising without cause. We stayed because we wanted to stay up late with long lost friends and family and not have to drive home after drinking. in retrospect we should have got a taxi and also invited those others who stayed over to join us at our house for a decent breakfast. I do not recommend anything about this hotel. The significant rebuilding has not improved the ambience or service one jot. The food was middling or less.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jannerbloke

Dear Jannerbloke,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us June 2009. It is always very useful to hear these comments so that we can continue to improve St Mellion International Resort and our guests' overall experience.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with the accommodation as we pride ourselves on our new hotel. We do however understand that a contemporary style can not suit everyone's individual taste.
We have in excess of 50 weddings a year at St Mellion and always receieve thank you cards and letters from the bride and grooms telling us of what a great day they had. I am sorry that you, as a guest, did not enjoy stay but would hope that this didn't deter you from having a lovely day at your family wedding.

I hope you will consider returning to us here at St Mellion at some point in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 19 August 2009

Stayed in 2 bedroomed apartment for 4 people which turned out to be a timeshare bungalow in the grounds. It had not been renovated unlike the main hotel. On the positive side it was very spacious for 4 people with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with large lounge/kitchen.However it looked like someones retirement home with faded old pictures,gold taps and pink bathroom suite with broken seat. The sports/pool facilities very good but the food service very slow and it was a 5 min walk to the hotel for breakfast along a private road. New timeshares being built spoilt the outlook.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank RunnerBeanBristol

Dear RunnerbeanBristol,
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at St Mellion International Resort. It is great we have this facility on trip advisor to hear the comments made by our guests in order for us to learn and improve from them.
You are correct in saying that our lodges have not recieved a refurbishment like our newly built hotel, however this is certainly something on the cards for the near future. We do, however offer these lodges at a highly reduced rate and when staying as a group, the price per person is very reasonable. Thank you for your positive comments about the size of the lodges and the facilities available. I will look into the broken seat in the bathroom. This should have already been dealt with but I will ensure that it is checked as a matter of urgency.
Thank you also for your positive feedback on our leisure facilities - this is something we are very proud of at St Mellion and regularly recieve good comments about. I have taken on board your feedback about food service being slow in the brasserie and I am ceratin that this has now been dealt with through a stringent training scheme for all food and beverage staff.
I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the near future where we can show you all the fantastic improvements that have been!
Thank you again for your feedback.